Packers Where would the Packers be without Ron Wolf?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have always been an unabashed fan of Ron Wolf from the very day he fired Lindy Infante. Somehow, deep in my gut, I knew good things were coming as I watched his first press conference. My spirits jumped when he fired Infante ... and really skyrocketed with Holmgren's introductory press conference (he had this cocky personna like he knew something the rest of us didn't.)

I do remember the talk around NE Wisconsin AFTER Wolf took over, particularly in the press outside of Green Bay. The columnists at the time just didn't know what to make of this guy and the changes he was putting in place, particularly inside of 1265. Lot's of grumbling too from some of the 'old timers' with the trade for Favre ... I remember being genuinely excited for the first time in DECADES.

Thanks to Ron Wolf and congrats for salvaging this franchise. I mean really salvaging it - there sure wasn't much in existence at the time except for a glorious past.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Pat Sheridan was a Milwaukee radio sports talk show host in the 1980s and he emphasized the main problem in Green Bay was the structure of the Packers organization. He envisioned Wolf’s role by advocating having one football man in charge of the team. I respected Sheridan and thought he was right. So I too was very excited when Wolf was hired and I read that he would be given complete control of football operations. Even if Wolf wasn’t the right person to be in control, at least the organizational structure had been corrected: No more sharing of power between the “GM”, HC and executive committee. And when Wolf began his search for a HC by finding out whether Bill Parcells wanted the job and ended up hiring the hottest HC prospect in Holmgren there was legitimate reason to be excited about the new VP of Football Operations. The sad-sack Packers had landed Holmgren.

No one can say what would have happened if Wolf didn’t take the job, but I disagree with Ketchman’s take that it was a lucky hire. Wolf was Harlan’s first choice and Harlan had talked to Wolf four years earlier when Wolf turned down the power-sharing “GM” job. He knew Wolf turned it down because he wanted to be a true GM. If for some reason Wolf hadn’t accepted the job and Harlan hired Bill Tobin or someone else on his list, as long as he would have been willing to fire that person if he didn’t perform, the structure of the organization would be in place, just looking for the man to turn it around.

Members online

Latest posts