Where will we draft?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now you have to eat your own words. QBs, with the exception of Michael Vick freakish speed QBs, rarely will leave the safety of the pocket without good reason to. If you watch the replay, the line gave way roughly about 1.5 seconds after the ball was snapped. Rodgers was simply doing what he had to do by extending the play. A better OL should have made that just a simple 1-2 step drop and throw for the deep slant route to Jordy for an easy first down. Jordy was open after about 2 seconds and while I can't see the Safety, I'm willing to bet with all the LBs crashing down AR could have led him to an open spot with the ball.

Define a "better oline"

If memory serves me correct, the Viking Game was the first game all year that we actually had all of our starters playing on the OL. Starters that were considered more than qualified to be playing. I could be wrong, but I still won't be "eating my own words" on not blaming the OL for Rodgers getting hit on that play. Had Spriggs or Barclay been playing and Rodgers got blindsided by one of their swinging gates.....I'm with you on lack of depth, but that wasn't the case on that play. AR likes to scramble, sometimes out of need and sometimes out of desire, this time it cost him the rest of his season.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is probably difficult to understand if you were spoiled with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers since learning what a football is, but older Cheeseheads might get it.

What a 9-7 record would do is give Packers fans more optimism for next season. Jaguars fans continued to predict eight or nine wins for several years, until Mike Mularkey came along and the team hit rock bottom with a 2-14 record. After that Jags fans said almost nothing good about their favorite team, acting like they hate Jacksonville even after Gus Bradley was fired. They spent the whole offseason saying the Jaguars will suck again despite Doug Marrone's promotion and Tom Coughlin's return until the team started playing again. Never mind how elite the defense is or who they drafted in the first two rounds; they were still pessimistic before the games started, unable to shake off how bad the team was since Jack Del Rio was fired.

My point here is simply finishing with a winning record gives fans more optimism for the next year than finishing this season with a terrible record that results in high draft picks whether we make the playoffs or not. Missing the playoffs with a 9-7 record makes fans say, "Maybe next year." Clinching a top 10 draft pick OTOH makes fans think another lost season is approaching. If that happens in Jacksonville, it can happen in Green Bay. So let's not hope for a losing record despite the fact miracles are required to be a playoff team this season.
I like your theory but it is not applicable to many of the posters who believe in only doom, doom, doom!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we are most likely to find ourselves somewhere between picks 13 - 18.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your theory but it is not applicable to many of the posters who believe in only doom, doom, doom!

Posters who believe in doom, doom, doom must be cheering Dom, Dom, Dom. (Reference: In Jacksonville his scheme was known as the Domsday Defense.)

True fans want to win. Yes, high draft picks are nice to have . . . if you get a guy like Jalen Ramsey with the #5 pick. But all 32 first round picks are boom or bust players. You can hit a home run, a base hit, or a foul regardless of your pick number.

Reaction score
I believe these next 2 games will have a dramatic impact on our draft placing because they will dictate if Aaron is held out or brought back so our draft placing is polarized in these next 2 games.
For instance if we win 2 and go 7-6, there’s a solid Chance Aaron comes back and wins 2+ more. That puts us picking somewhere in the bottom 40% of the league.
If we lose to Tampa the probability of making the playoffs this year diminishes dramatically and we keep Aaron sidelined.
That puts us picking in the top 40% of the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd never in a million years want a mindset that we're playing for draft position. A staff that does that are already losers. Coaches better always be trying to get players better, players better always be trying to get better and the FO needs to spend it's time evaluating all the available players that will be or may become available over the next couple months and how they could help this team. Then make their selections wherever they may fall. I know picking earlier gives you the best chances early in each round but I can't imagine being led by a group of people that aren't confident enough in their own ability to evaluate players they'd rather the team lose than improve and win and grow. It's a losers mentality.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd never in a million years want a mindset that we're playing for draft position. A staff that does that are already losers. Coaches better always be trying to get players better, players better always be trying to get better and the FO needs to spend it's time evaluating all the available players that will be or may become available over the next couple months and how they could help this team. Then make their selections wherever they may fall. I know picking earlier gives you the best chances early in each round but I can't imagine being led by a group of people that aren't confident enough in their own ability to evaluate players they'd rather the team lose than improve and win and grow. It's a losers mentality.

I wonder if the posters who are hoping we lose would want the same if they were actually coaching or playing. I doubt they would.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posters who believe in doom, doom, doom must be cheering Dom, Dom, Dom. (Reference: In Jacksonville his scheme was known as the Domsday Defense.)

True fans want to win. Yes, high draft picks are nice to have . . . if you get a guy like Jalen Ramsey with the #5 pick. But all 32 first round picks are boom or bust players. You can hit a home run, a base hit, or a foul regardless of your pick number.

First, please don't try to define 'true' fans. That's a debate that's never doing anywhere. The only consistency seems to be that, if someone disagrees with my POV, they're not a true fan.

Second, try to be consistent. Boom or bust leaves no room in the middle. If you're going to use baseball terms to describe football players, you'd probably have to go with grand slam or triple play.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, please don't try to define 'true' fans. That's a debate that's never doing anywhere. The only consistency seems to be that, if someone disagrees with my POV, they're not a true fan.

Second, try to be consistent. Boom or bust leaves no room in the middle. If you're going to use baseball terms to describe football players, you'd probably have to go with grand slam or triple play.

A triple play would be picking three busts, which I don't think the Packers did this year.

Last edited:
Reaction score