Where will we draft?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we could still be technically listed as "In the Hunt" at 5-5, a loss this week is only going to drop us to roughly about the 16th or 17th Overall Pick. Lose to Tampa, and then we will definitely inch towards a Top 15 Pick. If we beat the Browns however, we push ourselves back closer to 20th Overall depending on the final standings of the week. Luckily, it's not going to be hard to lose 3 out of the last 6 games on the schedule.

What's not working in our favor however is the fact that the teams currently listed in the Draft Order from 1-15 have only won 4 games all season. We own the tiebreaker on Dallas so even if they "tank" along with us they're always going to be at least one spot ahead of us. I know this sounds crazy, but Tampa is a "Must Lose" game if we are to have a shot at a Top 10 Pick. Because if not then that's yet another tiebreaker that we will own plus keeping us in the Playoffs conversation. Other than the Bucs and Browns, everyone else we play is making a title run so any wins against such teams keeps us in Playoffs contention and further pushes us towards a Top 20 pick.

Another thing the teams picking 6th-15th mostly share in common with us though, all decimated by injuries. So if we are to move up in the Draft Order, some of these teams are going to have to pull off some miracle wins to go along with our losses as well; otherwise we're just treading water at 16th to 20th.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#6 I don't think we win more than maybe 1 unless Rodgers comes back. I don't think he comes back to a 5-8,6-7 team.

Well maybe not if he was the QB during all of those games, but we all know that's not the case.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we could still be technically listed as "In the Hunt" at 5-5, a loss this week is only going to drop us to roughly about the 16th or 17th Overall Pick. Lose to Tampa, and then we will definitely inch towards a Top 15 Pick. If we beat the Browns however, we push ourselves back closer to 20th Overall depending on the final standings of the week. Luckily, it's not going to be hard to lose 3 out of the last 6 games on the schedule.

And better than that, I think it's entirely possible to win 5 of our last 6, assuming Rodgers is able to come back for the final 3. BTW, I fixed your moniker.

Reaction score
It’s a dose of reality but we’re somewhere between a bottom of 6th and a ceiling of 13th

Reaction score
why is a dose of reality always the pessimists view?
It’s a figure of Speech and I believe it was classically used more often as “a Sharp Dose of Reality”.
Reality is essentially an individuals perception and that you perceive the saying as being always viewed from a pessimistic view is somewhat ironic in that your question could also be classified as a “Sharp dose of Reality” but implied from the optimist view. Interesting thank you for clearing that up ;)

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Assuming the following:

- Vikings win the North :(
- 1 wild card comes from the South (three teams currently above .500)

Both are pretty safe assumptions at this point. The Packers only avenue to capturing a playoff birth would be under a couple of additional assumptions:

- Packers find a way to win another game without Aaron Rodgers
- Aaron Rodgers comes back in week 15 and wins the last three, vaulting the Packers to 9-7
- If the Packers do not win another game without Aaron Rodgers, I doubt he takes the field until 2018.

Question is:

Will 9-7 be good enough to get a wild card this year?

Current wild card teams: (all of this is assuming a Rodgers return in week 15)

Carolina Panthers - we have the opportunity to hold the tie breaker on them with the week 15 matchup
Atlanta Falcons - unfortunately, we would have to finish ahead of the Falcons to knock them out. They do however still have New Orleans twice, Minnesota, and Carolina on the schedule.
Seattle Seahawks - we have the tie breaker. Will be interesting if they can hold up after all the injuries. Got three tough ones coming up after going to Frisco (Philly, Jax, LAR's, and even Dallas in week 16 with Zeke back)
Detroit Lions - Still have the week 17 matchup to potentially hold the tie breaker. A Lions loss to the Bears in a couple weeks would have huge. That would mean that a Packers win in week 17 would for sure give the team the tie breaker over the Lions. Unfortunately though, the Lions have a laughably weak schedule prior to week 17 (Ravens, Bucs, Bears, Bengals). But they're still the Lions.
Dallas Cowboys - I don't think they will stay above water. They look like a disaster right now.
Washington Redskins - dealing with a ton of injuries. Will be interesting to see if they can stay above water.

If Aaron Rodgers doesn't take the field again this season, we're looking at 6-10, with a win possibly coming against either Tampa or Cleveland (best opportunities) I would think 7-9 would be the ceiling. On the other hand, if the team wins another game and Rodgers comes back, we're looking at a possible 9-7 with a 10-6 ceiling.

I actually believe that we will do just enough to justify getting AR back on the field in week 15 because McCarthy and crew are going to be absolutely desperate to take the focus off of what we're seeing right now. Out of desperation and exhausting all options and effort, the team will find a way to beat some combination of Tampa/Cleveland. And whether AR can pull it off and get us to the playoffs, the team will say "Well we won 9 games without Rodgers for half of the season. Get ready for next year" Status quo.

I honestly believe that's what is going to happen.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably difficult to understand if you were spoiled with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers since learning what a football is, but older Cheeseheads might get it.

What a 9-7 record would do is give Packers fans more optimism for next season. Jaguars fans continued to predict eight or nine wins for several years, until Mike Mularkey came along and the team hit rock bottom with a 2-14 record. After that Jags fans said almost nothing good about their favorite team, acting like they hate Jacksonville even after Gus Bradley was fired. They spent the whole offseason saying the Jaguars will suck again despite Doug Marrone's promotion and Tom Coughlin's return until the team started playing again. Never mind how elite the defense is or who they drafted in the first two rounds; they were still pessimistic before the games started, unable to shake off how bad the team was since Jack Del Rio was fired.

My point here is simply finishing with a winning record gives fans more optimism for the next year than finishing this season with a terrible record that results in high draft picks whether we make the playoffs or not. Missing the playoffs with a 9-7 record makes fans say, "Maybe next year." Clinching a top 10 draft pick OTOH makes fans think another lost season is approaching. If that happens in Jacksonville, it can happen in Green Bay. So let's not hope for a losing record despite the fact miracles are required to be a playoff team this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is probably difficult to understand if you were spoiled with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers since learning what a football is, but older Cheeseheads might get it.

What a 9-7 record would do is give Packers fans more optimism for next season. Jaguars fans continued to predict eight or nine wins for several years, until Mike Mularkey came along and the team hit rock bottom with a 2-14 record. After that Jags fans said almost nothing good about their favorite team, acting like they hate Jacksonville even after Gus Bradley was fired. They spent the whole offseason saying the Jaguars will suck again despite Doug Marrone's promotion and Tom Coughlin's return until the team started playing again. Never mind how elite the defense is or who they drafted in the first two rounds; they were still pessimistic before the games started, unable to shake off how bad the team was since Jack Del Rio was fired.

My point here is simply finishing with a winning record gives fans more optimism for the next year than finishing this season with a terrible record that results in high draft picks whether we make the playoffs or not. Missing the playoffs with a 9-7 record makes fans say, "Maybe next year." Clinching a top 10 draft pick OTOH makes fans think another lost season is approaching. If that happens in Jacksonville, it can happen in Green Bay. So let's not hope for a losing record despite the fact miracles are required to be a playoff team this season.

Have some pie :coffee:

That logic might help you to sleep at night, but this isn't the 80's Packers and I think we all know they are a much better team with Rogers than without him. Rogers should be back in 2018. I don't really care what "fans need" to end the season with, this fan would rather lose the rest of the games, in this once in a blue moon lost season, which may force some much needed changes in the Packers coaching staff and viewpoint of what this team really needs to win besides Aaron Rodgers. Not to mention a higher draft position...in all 7 rounds. Your 9-7 record might make you feel better about your Packers this year, but I doubt it benefits them moving forward.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have some pie :coffee:

That logic might help you to sleep at night, but this isn't the 1980s Packers and I think we all know they are a much better team with Rogers than without him. Rogers should be back in 2018. I don't really care what "fans need" to end the season with, this fan would rather lose the rest of the games, in this once in a blue moon lost season, which may force some much needed changes in the Packers coaching staff and viewpoint of what this team really needs to win besides Aaron Rodgers. Not to mention a higher draft position...in all 7 rounds. Your 9-7 record might make you feel better about your Packers this year, but I doubt it benefits them moving forward.

In my example, Jaguars fans were making dire predictions despite changes to most of the coaching staff prompted by four years with Gus Bradley at the helm and the fact their picks were early in each round. Was I not clear enough about that?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In my example, Jaguars fans were making dire predictions despite changes to most of the coaching staff prompted by four years with Gus Bradley at the helm and the fact their picks were early in each round. Was I not clear enough about that?

You were very clear on cherry picking one organization of 32 where it hasn't worked out. If you think 9-7 is what the Packers organization needs moving forward, which potentially could set up a situation of "business as usual, carry on boys", then you are entitled to have that opinion, I obviously don't agree with it. Was I not clear enough? :geek:

My point here is simply finishing with a winning record gives fans more optimism for the next year than finishing this season with a terrible record that results in high draft picks whether we make the playoffs or not. Missing the playoffs with a 9-7 record makes fans say, "Maybe next year."

But you could explain that quote to me.

How does the optimism of fans help a team moving forward?

Might also want to explain this condescending attitude to some of the younger fans, who perhaps actually know more about football than you do. :coffee:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts