Where is the chatbox?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no longer exists unfortunately. too bad, rodell would have had some good posts for this first quar-... oh. oops. hey, rodell! long time no see!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Less time to use search then make a thread and make a post

people need to start using the search and not be lazy

Attachments

• 55C19AB2-B46B-424C-B2D4-5A722E7309D5.png
    55C19AB2-B46B-424C-B2D4-5A722E7309D5.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 101

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Im sorry what your going thru..truly i am…if you recall i reached out to you when you hadn't posted in a while and helped you get back.. so i do care how you are..

with that said.. maybe lazy is to harsh, but it does take less time to type one word and hit search then make a thread and wait for replies

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the Chatbox once. I couldn't stand the complaining and the Packers were WINNING! I never went back. Life is more enjoyable when you ignore the complainers.

I mention this because I couldn't care one bit about the chatbox, but did see lots of posts about it since last season. I knew that it was gone....and good riddence!

I believe that Tom Silverstein runs a live blog through the game, if someone needs to get their online fill of vitriol and complaining.

D

Deleted member 6794

I went to the Chatbox once. I couldn't stand the complaining and the Packers were WINNING! I never went back. Life is more enjoyable when you ignore the complainers.

I mention this because I couldn't care one bit about the chatbox, but did see lots of posts about it since last season. I knew that it was gone....and good riddence!

I believe that Tom Silverstein runs a live blog through the game, if someone needs to get their online fill of vitriol and complaining.

I never visited the chatbox either because of the reasons you mentioned but with it being gone the posters who used it started complaining in the official game thread, which is far more annoying in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Stop being a complainer :). And to stay intouch with others......SMH

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it's through PackersNews.com I'm guessing it's for subscribers only. If that's the case it might actually have more level headed chatters in there, or at least I've found most crazy chatters only show up if chats are free.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the Chatbox once. I couldn't stand the complaining and the Packers were WINNING!
i came from another site that does have a chatbox, and it is the same way during games. people complain about every play that isn't successful. football fans are emotional. ever watch a game and notice the crowd reactions? that's the whole point of a chatbox - to give the forum's community a chance to interact in the moment. game threads are not the same. they require more time and effort to make a post, and unless you are constantly refreshing the page you don't get any of the spontaneity of true interaction with other fans.

I

Shaggy did explain why the shoutbox was taken down, and as much as it`s missed, it was a valid reason, and good of him to explain himself.

Reaction score
I’ll say just from a part time chat user.. it’s kinda nice having one. It’s just adds a different dimension imo. There’s no way all those comments are going to make it into a thread I think 50% of the regular posters would never have visited chat box to begin with.

All things equal it would be good to have one just for game day/gametime imo. It could start 10 min prior and end 10 min post game etc.. That would be a compromise. As with most things the truth lies somewhere in middle ground. Maybe just put narrow parameters would be feasible? That way the post game comments come in as hits on a thread, heck us chatters would probably even support that proactively throwing a summary on a post game thread.

I think it’s kinda neat watching it rumble like a slot machine and who cares if people complain, it’s an outlet for our emotions that’s what it’s all about imo. Plus we won’t take our frustrations out on Grandma after a Saints loss ;) It’s practically a community service
That’s my 2 cent

Last edited:
I

i'm new here, so i missed all that discussion. anyway, i'm not trying to change anything. the forum does not belong to me. i'm just a participant.

Sorry bud, didn`t mean it to sound aggressive, I was just explaining what happened. If you took it that way it wasn`t my intention. :). Apparently there was a danger of a gliche getting into his system. There were some friendships forged in there.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry bud, didn`t mean it to sound aggressive, I was just explaining what happened. If you took it that way it wasn`t my intention. :). Apparently there was a danger of a gliche getting into his system. There were some friendships forged in there.
and some members that abandoned all of us when propour football was going on:whistling:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, for those that missed why I took the chat down. Here it is. ;)

The first and foremost reason is chatrooms have always been a major security issues(due to their javascripting) in the past and not one I have ever seen coded hasn't had issues with it. So that's one major reason for not having one up for me.

The other is I have honestly always hated chatrooms on forums. I do love chatrooms in general, as you get instant communication back from the people in the room(like FB messenger) and we all love that instant gratification, but a chatroom on a forum takes away activity, threads and posts. It does nothing, I mean NOTHING, to help the forum at all. Users can come on, go straight to the chatroom, and then leave, never once commenting on the forums. Forums survive on new threads, new posts, and new replies. Take that away, the forum will eventually die.

Take this last Sunday for example. This was the first time PackerForum has ever had a gameday thread. The activity on here was the highest its been in 2 years on a first day game. Newly registered members were the highest its been in 3 years. I'm talking just Sunday. When visitors come to the site and see the activity within the game day thread, they want a piece. When everyone is in chat, those same visitors have zero idea where everyone is and think there isn't any activity due to no one posting on the forum during the game. Its night and day comparisons. I was pissed that GB did so bad, but was so damn happy to see the activity on the forum.

Yes, I know when a team does horribly(which GB did), there will be alot more users wanting to come on to rant and rave about them, but what I have seen from just the gameday thread alone and what it has done for PF so far, just no question for me to not even install a chat in the future. Sorry for those that miss the chat and I do understand why you like it, but I care about the forum and the shoutbox/chat will eventually kill it off.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts