Where does Woodson fit in our D?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Woodson is healthy does he get thrown back at his position and start? I'm not sure of his spot at this point on the D.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
When Woodson is healthy does he get thrown back at his position and start? I'm not sure of his spot at this point on the D.
He is very disruptive on the field defenses change their schemes when he is out there, plus he brings a lot of aggression on the defense...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think his pass defending days are over..I KNOW our pass def has issues, but I think it is better with out him back there

So not sure where he fits...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think he will be gone by next year. Maybe they have him in the camps but I think they will go with the young guys next year.

H

HardRightEdge

Easy peasy. He'll be starting at safety.

I mean really, guys, you're gonna want Jennings or McMillan out there instead of Charles F*cking Woodson? For a playoff run? You can talk about options, possibilities, money for next season, but for a playoff run there is zero doubt he should be on the field, or will be on the field, when healthy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Easy peezy. He'll be starting at safety.

I mean really, guys, you're gonna want Jennings or McMillan out there instead of Charles F*cking Woodson? For a playoff run? You can talk about options, possibilities, money for next season, but for a playoff run there is zero doubt he should be on the field, or will be on the field, when healthy.
I'll add that the young boys should get some rotational time

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who has the "hot hand" right now. I want Woodson back there when he gets healthy. No opposing team is going to change their game plan because of those two youngsters, but they will for Woodson.

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However he fits into our defensive scheme, It's imperative that he brings some pass pressure. Good God we generate ZERO pass rush without Mathews and Woodson off the corners.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He instantly takes the spot of MD Jennings/McMillian - neither of them can cover well in space anyway. McMillian can play the run quite well, but is slightly less reliable with his pass defense than Jennings. Either way, they'll all see the field in some capacity I'm sure, but don't count Chuck out. If our CBs continue to play at a high level, it will allow Woodson to be more of that wild card that can do things to better confuse opposing QB's because our other guys can be left on islands to cover.

Reaction score
Charles may not be as quick and flexible as the young guy's out there but he knows what the opposing QB is thinking before the QB does! He knows how to read an offense, and that comes with experience. I think Charles will put away his helmet when he knows that he can no longer contribute.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his pass defending days are over..I KNOW our pass def has issues, but I think it is better with out him back there

Are you kidding me? ok, where is Ashton Kutcher? am i on Punk'd? No way does he stay on the bench in favor of McMillan or Jennings haha. This is one of the greates db's of ALL TIME. Woodson has a chnace to sit back there at safety and pile up int's much like Rod Woodson did later in his career. One of the true ballhawks of his era..not to mention the wildcard factor he presents. This isn't your "average" football player we are talking about.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
He is a leader and he does manage to disrupt offenses. He is getting old but old guys are just plain mean.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember thinking this exact same thing weeks ago. But, after watching a bit more closely, he clearly would be an upgrade at the safety position over Jennings and McMillian. And in sub-packages, they will just create a spot for him wherever. There is little debating, I think, that he's not nearly the cover man he used to be. He was flagged consistently before his injury for clutching and grabbing. Still, he's a ballhawk and a cagey veteran. You need that on the field. Plus, he's a willing tackler that's proven he can play at the line and be an effective blitzer. I think the best fit is starting safety in base, and some kind of slot DB where he covers mostly TE's and used more at the line for run support and in blitz packages.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure Charles-primary-force-in-the-2010-Super-Bowl-win-Woodson can play a significant role somewhere still. If nothing else, get him in there for some of Capers gadget schemes.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson's best days are behind him. In several ways, the young guys have outplayed him. But - his leadership, knowledge and playmaking ability are still needed for the team. I plug him back in when he returns, but I think the Packers need to strongly consider lightening his load. Start giving the kids 50% of the snaps. Make sure Woodson is available and healthy for the playoffs. Also get the kids ready for next season - not sure if Woodson is playing next season, and I doubt he is playing in 2014.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? ok, where is Ashton Kutcher? am i on Punk'd? No way does he stay on the bench in favor of McMillan or Jennings haha. This is one of the greates db's of ALL TIME. Woodson has a chnace to sit back there at safety and pile up int's much like Rod Woodson did later in his career. One of the true ballhawks of his era..not to mention the wildcard factor he presents. This isn't your "average" football player we are talking about.

Did I say he stays on bench??

I am not sure if they put him back at corner now or is moved..

Reaction score

He will be the 3rd DB in the Nickel and blitz/be a hybrid linebacker. He will be valuable covering the Tight Ends in the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
HardRightEdge got it right IMO and I'd refine it a bit to say Woodson should be starting at Strong Saftey.

I've been concerned about Tramon Williams but he played a great game last night. I was also glad to see Shields back on the field. IMO the Packers starting D backfield should be: Williams and Shields at CB with Woodson at SS and Burnett at FS. In the nickel, Hayward should play the slot receiver. Next off the bench (#6 DB!) is House. McMillian and Jennings can perhaps help on STs. Yes, give Woodson some rest if he needs it, but he's been resting for quite a while.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well shields came back and answered a lot of questions last night. He's not ready to give Hayward or House his starting spot. If he keeps it up then it will be hard to throw on this defense. He was outplaying Tramon Williams before he got hurt.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He needs to step right in where he left off. The amount of knowledge he brings to the field can't be replaced easily. He should be well rested and good to go. He will be able to call out much needed changes and assignments that the young guys can learn from.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me, for the amount of time that he's been off of the field, the Packers aren't going to just insert him into the defense was every snap. He will be eased into the rotation while Capers and McCarthy determine where all of the pieces fit best.

This is a great problem to have. How many other teams sit around at this time of the season, trying to figure out which of their stud DBs is best to have on the field?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts