When does Greg Jennings go away?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Jennings is as bitter as some fans lol. He made these comments when asked a question on a sports show that exists soley to generate controversy and get fans all worked up either for or against the comment.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
MM taking the foot off the gas isnt a wrong opinion it cost us late in the game against Seattle. Greg maybe a bit of ****** but in this case he is not wrong in his assessment.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
That's absolutely true, the missed field goal, and then the fumble by Rip on the next possession hurt. The game should have been 10-10, and we're looking at a very different game.

But the offense from week 12 all the way through the Dallas game (which is 8 games) turned the ball over just twice in those 8 games. One interception from Rodgers in the Dallas game, one fumble from Rodgers in the Houston game.

So even though the Packers offense was held scoreless in the first half, the point still remains that when the offense for the Packers shows the first sign of trouble and makes a couple of mistakes, we rarely have a defense that can step up and weather the storm.

First 5 possessions of the game:

Falcons TD
Packers FG missed
Falcons FG made
Packers fumble lost
Falcons TD

Two mistakes by the offense and you're down 17-0 before you even bat an eyelash. I feel as if wanting a defense to step up when the offense makes two uncharacteristic mistakes is not too much to ask, especially when the offense went 8 games with just 2 turnovers.

But unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Rodgers by the way in the first half: 12 of 17 (70%) for 119. Superman couldn't do it all as usual.

True. If Rodgers and the offense does not play a near perfect game the chance to win decreases by a ton. The Defense isnt that good enough to buy the offense enough time to sort it out. The only way the Pack was going to win that game was score pts every possession and hope the Defense can come up with a stop to turn it to a two possession game.

When you look at the 2011 Super Bowl run the Defense bailed us out enough to win those games.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not a jennings apologist by any means but he's been complimentary of Rodgers and the Packers too. i think he really tries to objective. i watch fs1 some during the day and he's on there a lot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think part of the problem is what does MM consider a "good" lead and when does he consider it. A 14 point lead in the 3rd quarter is not a "good" lead. My point is that maybe the problem isn't MM getting conservative its MM getting conservative too soon.

MM taking the foot off the gas isnt a wrong opinion it cost us late in the game against Seattle.

I believe that McCarthy taking the foot off the gas is a hugely overblown story as the Packers are 81-3 (.964) in games in which they led by 14 points or more at any point during his tenure. Unfortunately a lot of fans only remember the NFCCG loss at Seattle because it hapoened with a Super Bowl berth on the line.

FWIW Belichick (136-6, .957) has blown such leads at a higher rate than MM.

So even though the Packers offense was held scoreless in the first half, the point still remains that when the offense for the Packers shows the first sign of trouble and makes a couple of mistakes, we rarely have a defense that can step up and weather the storm.

First 5 possessions of the game:

Falcons TD
Packers FG missed
Falcons FG made
Packers fumble lost
Falcons TD

Two mistakes by the offense and you're down 17-0 before you even bat an eyelash. I feel as if wanting a defense to step up when the offense makes two uncharacteristic mistakes is not too much to ask, especially when the offense went 8 games with just 2 turnovers.

What makes it even worse is that the Packers offense or special teams didn't hand the Falcons the ball in great field position. But the defense allowed Atlanta to march for 80 yards twice to score a touchdown and another 59 to kick a field goal.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not a jennings apologist by any means but he's been complimentary of Rodgers and the Packers too. i think he really tries to objective. i watch fs1 some during the day and he's on there a lot.
Yeah, I mean it's his job to talk. To be honest, I don't really blame Jennings for feeling a little resentment toward the Packers. He was a top star for us who performed well for many years. He got injured and wasn't resigned. Seems like a natural human response.

I believe that McCarthy taking the foot off the gas is a hugely overblown story as the Packers are 81-3 (.964) in games in which they led by 14 points or more at any point during his tenure. Unfortunately a lot of fans only remember the NFCCG loss at Seattle because it hapoened with a Super Bowl berth on the line.
Apparently it's a myth that McCarthy blows games by taking his foot off the gas. In the Seattle game, it took a Herculean effort from the entire team to blow that one.

What makes it even worse is that the Packers offense or special teams didn't hand the Falcons the ball in great field position. But the defense allowed Atlanta to march for 80 yards twice to score a touchdown and another 59 to kick a field goal.
I remember watching that and thinking, okay they're starting on their 20, surely they're not going to drive the field again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FWIW Belichick (136-6, .957) has blown such leads at a higher rate than MM.
....and there he goes again, using statistics and logic to back up his statements :D

D

Deleted member 6794

To be honest, I don't really blame Jennings for feeling a little resentment toward the Packers. He was a top star for us who performed well for many years. He got injured and wasn't resigned. Seems like a natural human response.

Actually the Packers offered Jennings an extension averaging close to $11 million per year during the 2012 season but he declined it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the Packers offered Jennings an extension averaging close to $11 million per year during the 2012 season but he declined it.
A very fair offer imo. Jennings just chose an alternative route. Tango, Sierra for him.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings yesterday in an interview had some real interesting things to say. In 2012 Jennings was in his contract year at this time and wanted to remain a Packer beyond that season. Week 1 of 2012 vs 49ers in Lambeau 9ers cornerback Carlos Rogers during a timeout was asking 'why aren't they giving you the ball, why are you running these simple routes'. Jennings replies 'I don't know man, it's contract year, I don't know what's going on.' Rodgers overhears the conversation and he says 'you guys should get him after this year.' At that point on, Greg Jennings says he was done with the Packers because he thought Rodgers was trying to move on from him. I have a couple of thoughts.

1) Was Rodgers trying to help a teammate out trying to land him on a good team because he knew the organization was moving on from Jennings? (I say highly unlikely)
2) Did Rodgers know what he had in Jordy, Cobb, and even Jones (who he asked the organization to keep a year earlier) and know the money could be better spent elsewhere? (I say maybe)
3)Why didn't Greg bring this story up sooner? It's not like he had much to lose. I guess I can understand why he didn't want to say anything while he was still in the league because he didn't want to come off as a distraction while he was looking for new teams, but this is his 3rd year out of football and in the media. I'm not saying he is making this up, but why not bring it up earlier to defend himself with Packer nation calling him salty/bitter (even though I disagree and think he's complimentary of the Packers). Him bringing this up now makes me wonder what he had to lose mentioning this, because I feel like he has nothing to lose telling this story at any time. I would have had no problem if he mentioned that story the day he signed with Minnesota.

I doubt Rodgers will waste much time replying to this but I found this very interesting and am curious what really happened. I can now kind of understand why Jennings was very unhappy that next offseason with the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Painful listening to "Chip on his shoulders Jennings" and Cowturd for that long, so I skipped ahead (12:20). Jennings obviously doesn't understand Aaron Rodgers or his sense of humor. For him to internalize (for a season and beyond) a quick comment made by AR during the course of a game, which was probably Aaron being Aaron and then to blame his final year in GB on that, what a damn chump. I suppose Jennings crappy play in Minnesota and Miami was all due to Aaron's remark too?

The other part both Cowturd and Jenning's got wrong, Jennings wasn't traded, he was a FA that chose to sign a contract with the Vikings.

Hey Greg, face it, you got that big contract with the Vikings because of AR, not despite AR. So instead of running your mouth on how butt hurt you still are after how many years, maybe you should be thanking AR and the Packers for making you look better than you probably were.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. If Rodgers and the offense does not play a near perfect game the chance to win decreases by a ton. The Defense isnt that good enough to buy the offense enough time to sort it out. The only way the Pack was going to win that game was score pts every possession and hope the Defense can come up with a stop to turn it to a two possession game.

When you look at the 2011 Super Bowl run the Defense bailed us out enough to win those games.

It was the Defense that got us into the Post Season to begin with. In the Super Bowl it was dominant up until Woodson and Shields were injured. But before those two went out in quick succession Pittsburgh couldnt sustain a drive.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only is he welcome to do this, but it is literally his job. Not to mention a lot of what he says has credence. He was a great player that helped us win a super bowl, appreciate it and if you don't like what he has to say, don't listen. He has every right to say it.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this G, shut up and go away. This guys act is beyond tired at this point. His self started skirmishes with AR seem to be the only thing keeping him on the airwaves. I find it funny how all his garbage comes loose when he's on Cowturds show who everyone knows doesn't exactly dig AR12. He's a TB12 lapdog through and through. A couple weeks back I ended up listening to this hack for a few minutes (LONG drive) and he was praising Brady, per the usual, for never promoting products he himself doesn't use. Yeah Turd, I'm sure Giselle loves Tom crawling into bed reeking of Stetson cologne. If CT really believe Tomas wears that bull **** then I've got some oceanfront property in OK to sell him. What a joke. GJ needs to grow up and realize his 15 minutes is up.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
these guys win every time you talk about them, just fyi
When someone says something ridiculous I feel obliged to say something. If that means a "win" for those clowns then I pray I continue to be a loser. Guys like CTurd are contrarians because they love the shock value of bringing steaming hot takes to the airwaves. When I know what someone is going to say before they open their mouth I tune them out. That's why guys line CC and Skipper Takeless lost me years ago. They make a ton of money because plenty of people do consume their garbage. I'm a capitalist so I say do your thing. They just won't get any of my money and I don't have a Nielsen box in my house so on the rare occasion their nonsense pops up on my TV, it's like a tree falling in the forest. Jennings needs attention so he channels his "AR insights" a couple times a year. He's a clown and I'm happy to give him a win by saying as much.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers overhears the conversation and he says 'you guys should get him after this year.' At that point on, Greg Jennings says he was done with the Packers because he thought Rodgers was trying to move on from him.
I saw that. Football is a hard business. I don't know why Rodgers said what he did, maybe he was making a joke, who knows? But I don't blame Jennings for taking it in a bad way. We weren't walking in his shoes. Apparently the Vikings made him feel more appreciated. Like you say, Lambeau, Jennings is usually very complimentary of Rodgers. He will make the occasional comment about him maybe not being the best teammate, but so what? Rodgers may be the most talented QB in football, but he isn't a god who is above criticism.

By the way, Jennings is on TV regularly as a commentator on football. He isn't just on a couple of times a year to dish dirt on Rodgers. I actually think he's good at what he does. I appreciate him as a former Packer. If he sometimes comes across as bitter about certain things in the past, I just chalk that up to him being a wide receiver, who are often known for being head cases or divas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
GJ was a found out “has not”..
the second he left his numbers declined.

Greg has a bad attitude and a mouth to go with it. I feel sorry for him that’s so common.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Greg Jennings yesterday in an interview had some real interesting things to say. In 2012 Jennings was in his contract year at this time and wanted to remain a Packer beyond that season. Week 1 of 2012 vs 49ers in Lambeau 9ers cornerback Carlos Rogers during a timeout was asking 'why aren't they giving you the ball, why are you running these simple routes'. Jennings replies 'I don't know man, it's contract year, I don't know what's going on.' Rodgers overhears the conversation and he says 'you guys should get him after this year.' At that point on, Greg Jennings says he was done with the Packers because he thought Rodgers was trying to move on from him. I have a couple of thoughts.

1) Was Rodgers trying to help a teammate out trying to land him on a good team because he knew the organization was moving on from Jennings? (I say highly unlikely)
2) Did Rodgers know what he had in Jordy, Cobb, and even Jones (who he asked the organization to keep a year earlier) and know the money could be better spent elsewhere? (I say maybe)
3)Why didn't Greg bring this story up sooner? It's not like he had much to lose. I guess I can understand why he didn't want to say anything while he was still in the league because he didn't want to come off as a distraction while he was looking for new teams, but this is his 3rd year out of football and in the media. I'm not saying he is making this up, but why not bring it up earlier to defend himself with Packer nation calling him salty/bitter (even though I disagree and think he's complimentary of the Packers). Him bringing this up now makes me wonder what he had to lose mentioning this, because I feel like he has nothing to lose telling this story at any time. I would have had no problem if he mentioned that story the day he signed with Minnesota.

I doubt Rodgers will waste much time replying to this but I found this very interesting and am curious what really happened. I can now kind of understand why Jennings was very unhappy that next offseason with the team.
A couple of other possibilities.

1) Recall the reports that the Packers offered Jennings an $8 mil per year extension around the beginning of his contract year and he turned it down. Rodgers knowing Jennings is leaving to test the market puts a different color on that quip.

2) Maybe it's a bullsh*t story in whole or in part. First Jennings sister and later Jennings himself expressed bitterness at the Packers not going for "just pay the man" even though, in retrospect, they would have at $8 million given his subsequent decline. He still has an axe to grind even though the Packers were fortunate he didn't take that extension. And if the route part of the story is true, which is not certain, that may be because the early stages of decline were being detected at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're either failing to understand the real point, or you're choosing to misrepresent what our position, at least mine. In no way am I suggesting that McCarthy is "holding the offense back", as that would seem to suggest that the offense could be more lethal if McCarthy allowed it to be. I'm simply saying that there have been too many occasions, specifically the Seattle NFC Championship game, where he altered his play calling based on what the score was at the time.

He thought he could just milk the clock, thus reducing the number of possessions, and win that way. And that's not the worst strategy in the world IF... 1. you didn't have the most efficient quarterback in the history of the National Football League and 2. if you had an elite defense.

But, we DO have the most efficient quarterback in the NFL. PUT the ball in his hands, keep being aggressive, and put the game out of reach. Instead, you take the ball out of his hands, and put the responsibility on a defense that's shown it isn't capable of handling the pressure in big time playoff games over the past 6 seasons.

That being said, I think he's learned his lesson, at least I hope so, based on what we saw in the Giants game this past postseason. He stayed aggressive, allowed Aaron to put the game out of reach so that there was no possible scenario in which he was forced to rely upon his defense.

I love McCarthy. I love his offensive genius, and I love what he represents as the leader of our football team. He's absolutely top notch as far as head coaches are concerned. But he's been known to play it far too conservative on occasion. I would have to re-watch the Bears game this year since it wasn't on my channel locally, but I'm wanting to say that he was conservative in the 2nd half of that game, which is why we even needed the 61 yard bomb from Rodgers to Jordy in the first place.
I laughed out loud at this. You've had two former receivers saying that the play design and play calling could be better, the QB is unhappy with him, and players don't listen to him. He's clearly not an offensive genius or a good leader.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scanned a few posts, but didnt read most so sorry if this has been stated.

To answer the OP, GJ goes away when we stop talking about him and what he says. Ignore him and he is gone - which is the reason I only scanned this thread.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys seem to think Jennings is only around to please Packer fans. That's not his job. I've seen him on TV a lot and 90% of what he says about Rodgers is very complimentary. But people resent him because of the other 10%. Who are we to tell him "Sorry Greg, you're wrong, that wasn't your experience"?

Let's put it this way: Why would Rodgers say that to Jennings, if that's what he said? Does that build team unity? Many people have noted Rodgers' tendency to kick other players under the bus. You never hear this sort of story about Tom Brady.