What's your draft nightmare?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Gute decides the Ravens' method of supporting a young QB (that is, not at all) is the way to go while ignoring the Bengals' method of supporting a young QB (which was to support him a LOT) is the wrong way to go.
I'll gently remind everyone through this post that the way to support a young QB is to give them a half-way decent defense. Ted Thompson proved this in 2011 and going forward.

Reaction score
That's how they'll make up for Joe Barry's deficiencies, by going heavy on defensive picks.
Oh I’m not done.
We use 42.45 in Defense
Then we trade away draft picks #78,#116 to bring in more young Barry like Defensive assistants from other teams… like Detroit :coffee::eek:

Stay tuned.. Part 2 of Nightmare on Lambeau Lane coming soon!
(Hint: It involves our 2024 draft capital)

Just getting warmed up :tup:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I’m not done.
We use 42.45 in Defense
Then we trade away draft picks #78,#116 to bring in more young Barry like Defensive assistants from other teams… like Detroit :coffee::eek:

Stay tuned.. Part 2 of Nightmare on Lambeau Lane coming soon!
(Hint: It involves our 2024 draft capital)

Just getting warmed up :tup:
So day 3 they announce the 5 year extension to Barry?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand corrected...THIS is my draft nightmare. Another small wide receiver, an undersized DL and 2 TE when we need 1 playmaker...also we've done nothing to fix the O-Line or Safety

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No nightmares for me. I like the way the draft is turning out.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, too, like the way the draft has fallen. Gutenberg added a solid premium-position Edge rusher and has added fast "toys" for Love's offense.

Now Gute needs to beef up both lines & find depth at Safety, RB, a developmental QB, another WR, and a kicker.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll gently remind everyone through this post that the way to support a young QB is to give them a half-way decent defense. Ted Thompson proved this in 2011 and going forward.

I’ll gently remind you to go look at how Lamar Jackson is viewed vs Burrow and how both were helped by having great defenses or great help.

After three rounds I’m happy with Gute’s strategy for the most part. Not happy with taking two rookies TEs when the hit rate on an impact TE on his rookie contract is so low; basically have to hope the packers have the most productive rookie draft of TEs inn modern football history to make those two picks worthwhile.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not happy with taking two rookies TEs when the hit rate on an impact TE on his rookie contract is so low; basically have to hope the packers have the most productive rookie draft of TEs inn modern football history to make those two picks worthwhile.
With $0 to spend in free agency what alternatives does Gute have? GB needs young, cheap talent everywhere so draft & UDFA's are the route to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

With $0 to spend in free agency what alternatives does Gute have? GB needs young, cheap talent everywhere so draft & UDFA's are the route to go.

The Packers currently have more than $12 million in effective cap space. Gutekunst could have spent some money in free agency if he wanted to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the year to find out who and what we have, shed some cap, and move forward. They can talk all they want about no rebuild, expect to compete etc, and that should be their mindset as players and coaches. But there are times and places to spend money and right now is not one of them IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the year to find out who and what we have, shed some cap, and move forward. They can talk all they want about no rebuild, expect to compete etc, and that should be their mindset as players and coaches. But there are times and places to spend money and right now is not one of them IMO.
I agree except if it became obvious we needed an O linemen; I would not be opposed to that.

Reaction score
I stand corrected...THIS is my draft nightmare. Another small wide receiver, an undersized DL and 2 TE when we need 1 playmaker...also we've done nothing to fix the O-Line or Safety
You must’ve absolutely hated our last Slot WR, Randall Cobb

Actually we’ve drafted 6 OL across 2021/2022. Brian did recently say he would’ve drafted a top prospect if they fell to us, but once our turn at #13 arrived, he didn’t feel comfortable that anyone else left would make our Roster. That gives us a pretty good indicator of their internal opinion of the group we currently have returning.
It’s my opinion Gute was salivating at the thought of Gary, Smith and Van Ness being our future.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must’ve absolutely hated our last Slot WR, Randall Cobb

Actually we’ve drafted 6 OL across 2021/2022. Brian did recently say he would’ve drafted a top prospect if they fell to us, but once Round 1 was gone? he didn’t think anyone else left would make our Roster. That gives us a pretty good indicator of the group we currently have. Only a #13 overall area would beat one of the incumbent OL out.
There was at least 1 quality Tackle drafted after 13 in Round 1. Maybe not LT but definitely it appeared he was an upgrade from Nijman who is a SWING tackle, not a starter at either spot.

Yes prior to being drafted I DID hate Randall Cobb did you see what he did to Auburn as a running QB his Senior Year?

Reaction score
There was at least 1 quality Tackle drafted after 13 in Round 1. Maybe not LT but definitely it appeared he was an upgrade from Nijman who is a SWING tackle, not a starter at either spot.

Yes prior to being drafted I DID hate Randall Cobb did you see what he did to Auburn as a running QB his Senior Year?
No. I don’t recall that.
I do remember much of Cobb’s 8,000 yards and 58 TD’s :cool: he’s logged after nearly slipping to Round3 (#64 overall). That’s Pretty darn good for a 5’10 guy who out of college ran a 4.55X40 time

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
No. I don’t recall that.
I do remember much of Cobb’s 8,000 yards and 58 TD’s :cool: he’s logged after nearly slipping to Round3 (#64 overall). That’s Pretty darn good for a 5’10 guy who out of college ran a 4.55X40 time
All that athleticism and MM never ran a wildcat for the Wildcat.