What To Make Of Our WR No-Shows

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never want to compare pro sports to a real job, but, in your analogy, one would be going in to become better at their job, help folks in other departments (and, hence the company in its relative position), team building, et. al.

Again though, for free. If you really want that players to show up, then criticize the front office that didn't write the contracts to include incentives that convinced the players to show up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can never understand the angst about guys not showing up for voluntary workouts unless the player is losing a massive bonus by skipping.

So you understand blowing them off, unless it means a financial sacrifice to the individual player? I can't quite put my finger on it, but that sounds like messed up team player logic and more like individual greed? Weren't you the one accusing owners of being selfish, greedy tax evaders? ;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Context matters? You're asking guys to come in on vacation for no extra renumeration. Rich or poor, it's comparable. Are you trying to "GOTCHA" me with the implication that sports stars should be more willing to do extra work for free?
They do it every day when they workout.

They don't have to try so hard in practice either. But they do.

The goal of many players is to win the Superbowl and OTAs help.

What is Rodgers goal? Control? His feelings nurtured? Not sure. But if he was focused on winning a SB he would be in GB right now.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
so if you would have read it, I said I wouldn't do that because of OTA's but would start if they sat out the TC part.

I know what you meant and about OTA's vs training camp. If those dudes don't show up to camp it's a totally different subject all together. Unless excused, those are mandatory. Beyond Adams, the WR corp. better show up or they would be cut. None of them have leverage to be skipping camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

What is Rodgers goal? Control? His feelings nutured? Not sure. But if he was focused on winning a SB he would be in GB right now.

Fans or at least some of us notice these things. I imagine coaches do too. I'm so sick of the "avoiding a career ending injury" excuse or "its voluntary". Of course you don't want to put players needlessly in harms way of injuries, but there is also a delicate balance between wrapping them in bubble wrap and being a really cohesive and talented team. If I am a coach, I will risk injuries if it means getting my guys as much time together to practice a team sport and I will do that as safe as possible.

Players missing voluntary meetings, whether Zoom or in Person, I'm not impressed.

Krabs

Reaction score
Is it a cancer, or is it a legitimate problem with management?

I'd take the management of the Packers the last 30 years over the Lions, Dolphins, Bears, Jets, Cleveland...

You get my point.

Krabs

Reaction score
Players missing voluntary meetings, whether Zoom or in Person, I'm not impressed.

I would agree with that assessment. I would only add that the question was what to make about the top 5 receivers missing. I'm sticking with that there's nothing to make of it. I do enjoy the discussion though. :whistling:

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't see one shred of evidence that the front office has done anything wrong with Rodgers. They are managing the team with an eye on the long-term which I appreciate.

However, what I read is that Aaron is unhappy. I read Adrian Amos agreeing with him. I read about the top WRs who would normally be there, possibly skipping OTAs in solidarity. I read about Devante Adams saying that you've 'gotta appreciate what you've got while you got it' and that he backs Rodgers 100%.

While I have nothing wrong with the moves that the front office has made, it seems that the employees are unhappy and that speaks to the indirect side of the front office's job.

There may not be a fire in the dumpster but it doesn't smell like roses right now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can the problem be legitimate? Rodgers was paid nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to play QB. Because he doesn't like the decisions someone in management made does not give him the right to damage the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How can the problem be legitimate? Rodgers was paid nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to play QB. Because he doesn't like the decisions someone in management made does not give him the right to damage the team.

Well it could be a management problem, but it doesn't appear to be. ;)

Not to mention that its going to be hard to fault management given the success of the team under that management. One player, even Aaron Rodgers, shouldn't be able to declare that managements philosophy is faulty because it doesn't agree with his. Problem for the Packers, he appears to carry a lot of weight with his teammates.

I believe El Guapo put it best...

There may not be a fire in the dumpster but it doesn't smell like roses right now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you understand blowing them off, unless it means a financial sacrifice to the individual player? I can't quite put my finger on it, but that sounds like messed up team player logic and more like individual greed? Weren't you the one accusing owners of being selfish, greedy tax evaders? ;)

No, it sounds like rational human behavior. Next your boss asks you to work on your vacation for free are your going to do it for the good of management and the shareholders?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What is Rodgers goal? Control? His feelings nurtured? Not sure. But if he was focused on winning a SB he would be in GB right now.

Then the GM should be adding bonuses to contracts to get players to show up.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MILLIONAIRES. Just sad! What happens when you give athletes so much money.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it sounds like rational human behavior. Next your boss asks you to work on your vacation for free are your going to do it for the good of management and the shareholders?
Rational unless the person enjoys what they are doing and wants to achieve the ultimate success. We have a leader who doesn't really care. That is someone we should move on from.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

No, I am going to do what a team player and career motivated person does, know when the OTA's are and squeeze my vacation into one of the many months that I have the luxury to have off. This isn't a boss suddenly asking me to cancel vacation plans. These were scheduled and known way out in advance. You do realize that some players are actually making money directly and potentially indirectly by being at the OTA's?

You are a curious creature. You are so hell bent on players rights and now apparently laziness is something you favor, that you seem to forget about what is possibly best for a career and your team. Why didn't you mention the effect that your starting QB and 4 WR's missing OTA's has on their teammates, but are quick with a "are your going to do it for the good of management and the shareholders?"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but what would the problem be? They always seem to be pretty tight lipped when it comes to players so they don't damage them in the media. They definitely appear to treat them all with respect as people, and just listening to the majority of them speak to the media (players) they all seem to generally be on the same page in terms of character. Even when the D was having problems, they went to a coach, nothing played out in the media, they appeared to have a good working relationship where they respected each other enough to deal with something.

If there are some long standing or big problems I'd think we'd have seen it in other ways before now. Unless you want to talk about MMcCarthy and then there's a common denominator there that would tend to lean me that way than the other. If Rodgers had problem with MMurphy it never showed even after he signed his last extension.

Some big FA's were taken care of here, 2 of them reworked their deals, one for less and the other to push more out. I think Amos did too. Those aren't the signs of players who have big issues with management. AJones didn't bolt, BahkT didn't bolt. Lots of guys seem pretty happy here.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My big picture thought is that all receivers missing is far from a coincidence. But I don't think it's been orchestrated by Rodgers, I think the position group got together and made the decision. Likely with guidance from Davante.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the position group got together and made the decision. Likely with guidance from Davante.

If that is the case, solidarity is sometimes a great thing, but if Rodgers is traded, I am making damn sure I know where Davante's loyalties lie before I sign him to a huge new contract. If he says he is done in GB if Rodgers is, trade him now while you can get value for him.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think that Adams basically said (and I am definitely paraphrasing) that he and Rodgers built a special connection on the field, and that if Rodgers isn't there, that would factor into his decision about a new contract.

I actually don't mind him saying that because most players would be thinking/saying that if they were no longer going to get to play with one of the best QBs. Now, unless he is able to ride Rodgers' coat tail to Rodgers' next team, he will be going to a marginal QB somewhere else.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but what would the problem be? They always seem to be pretty tight lipped when it comes to players so they don't damage them in the media. They definitely appear to treat them all with respect as people, and just listening to the majority of them speak to the media (players) they all seem to generally be on the same page in terms of character. Even when the D was having problems, they went to a coach, nothing played out in the media, they appeared to have a good working relationship where they respected each other enough to deal with something.

If there are some long standing or big problems I'd think we'd have seen it in other ways before now. Unless you want to talk about MMcCarthy and then there's a common denominator there that would tend to lean me that way than the other. If Rodgers had problem with MMurphy it never showed even after he signed his last extension.

Some big FA's were taken care of here, 2 of them reworked their deals, one for less and the other to push more out. I think Amos did too. Those aren't the signs of players who have big issues with management. AJones didn't bolt, BahkT didn't bolt. Lots of guys seem pretty happy here.

I am merely poking fun at people who are convinced that Rodgers is a diva and trade him yesterday AND those who would blindly defend Rodgers.

This blew up because a few people at ESPN floated some conjecture on draft day. (Adam Schefter is, imho, a liar and will always be considered as such. I shall click on none of his links ever again. Do not reward this behavior.) That seems to be the big story.

Is it possible, perhaps likely, that there is contention between Rodgers and the FO? Plenty of evidence to support that.

Is it money? Maybe, but neither side has said so.

It is the draft of Love? Perhaps, but Rodgers has at least said he doesn't have an issue with him.

Is it a, for lack of a better term, normal, legitimate workplace friction between Rodgers and/or Gute/Murphy? Maybe. What's the old story, "People don't quit jobs, but they do quit bosses."

And yet we have those falling over themselves calling for his head. Why? We know almost nothing. Everything else is conjecture. Who the bad guy is in this story, is conjecture. If there even IS a bad guy, for that matter.

And unfortunately, we'll likely never know. If he's traded, it could be because Gute/Murphy screwed something up and they caused the rift. If he gets an extension or some other kind of rework, maybe the FO plastered over rift with enough green and Rodgers will tolerate it. Maybe he's after more money and being a jerk about it, but get an extension anyway because the FO is worried about the alternatives.

About the only definitive outcome is (imho) the least-likely. If Gute and/or Murphy lose their jobs or are otherwise demoted and Rodgers stays, that strongly suggests that something is indeed rotten at the top and the board had to step in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed. I think that Adams basically said (and I am definitely paraphrasing) that he and Rodgers built a special connection on the field, and that if Rodgers isn't there, that would factor into his decision about a new contract.

That is exactly pretty much what Davante said. If this ends ugly, I would be shocked if he wanted to resign with the Packers. No Rodgers in 2021 and no Davante in 2022 and beyond, would be really foolish in my opinion not to trade him before the season starts. Might sound like tanking, but even if Davante plays and helps a Rodgerless Packers have an average season, if he isn't on board for more seasons beyond this one, apply his cap savings ($12,661,765) to resigning guys who want to play in GB and trade him for all that you can, instead paying him a big 2021 salary and getting nothing but a 3rd round 2023 Comp pick.

BTW...for all those keeping score at home....Davante too is scheduled to make the same as Rodgers, $500K for his workout bonus. Lots of money being left behind if he voids that.

Davante probably wouldn't mind being traded a year before a new contract. It would guarantee him a new high paying contract and a lot of guaranteed money with a new team.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Double my salary? Heck yeah!
I’m looking into this $5/hr remark as it’s drastically below minimum wage and your employer is going to get in big big trouble. I’ve already left my Congressman a voicemail. There’s no reason I can think of that they should be doing this to Amish peoples. Unless.. wait.,, are you serving tables???
Weren't you the one accusing owners of being selfish, greedy tax evaders? ;)
Wouldn’t that be 50% of the Green Bay Area residents and 20% of all Wisconsinites? :roflmao:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts