What if Rodgers gets hurt again....

Reaction score
You're being way too optimistic about the outlook for the offense if Rodgers is injured. There's no reason for it based on the backup quarterback having had moderate success with a receiver in college for a single season.

I hate when anyone takes Kizer seriously. He is bad. He wont win a game for us. He wont hold a lead for us til the end. What he will do is actively turn the ball over and lose games for us.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Vikings projectile vomited away all of their QBs last year, I thought that we should have tried to bring in Bridgewater. He ended up "winning" the Jets job but they had to play Sam. The Saints wisely snatched up Bridgewater to backup Brees.

I'm not sure that Kizer will be on the roster in September. I think that we will all be a bit shocked when Boyle snags the #2 spot and the Packers scour the field of final cuts to snag a #3 QB. I don't think that they can ride the fence with only two QBs with Rodgers' injury history.

D

Deleted member 6794

When the Vikings projectile vomited away all of their QBs last year, I thought that we should have tried to bring in Bridgewater. He ended up "winning" the Jets job but they had to play Sam. The Saints wisely snatched up Bridgewater to backup Brees.

The Packers don't have enough cap space to pay a backup quarterback $7 million a season.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought about Bridgewater should've been looked at too. I'm comfortable with Kizer, and the fact that he'll be there and be #2 this year.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers goes down the season is toast. It's been that way for years. Only in the Flynn era did we possess a backup capable of actually playing in the NFL.

Reaction score
If Rodgers goes down the season is toast. It's been that way for years.

What happen to the years when we would season our own backup QB, and learn from our starter QB.
We're getting in the same situation like the Bears did for years, go through QB's like shlt through a tin horn.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happen to the years when we would season our own backup QB, and learn from our starter QB.
We're getting in the same situation like the Bears did for years, go through QB's like shlt through a tin horn.

Well we went down to 2 qbs for a bit and we haven't spent high draft capital on a QB for a long time. Probably learned a bunch from the short-lived Brian Brohm fiasco.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm comfortable with Kizer, and the fact that he'll be there and be #2 this year.

I don't think any Packers fan feels comfortable about Kizer having to start some games though.

The new CBA introduced before the 2011 season made it awfully tough to develop a backup quarterback. Therefore it might be smart to have a cheap veteran with starting experience at the position.

Reaction score
You'll be hard pressed to find a team with a veteran franchise QB making big bucks paired with a $7 mil backup.
We’re throwing #s around to make a point. But you’re taking it too literally to get the point I’m (and many others) are making. You can dance around the 7M # all you want or give us excuses as to why getting a backup QB can’t happen. But you can’t expect to get quality veteran QBs for rookie contract money. They don’t go hand in hand. You get what you pay for. I’m not going to qualify that statement. because you may follow that previous pattern and show me examples of anomalies to prove that point wrong also.

You negotiate for gosh sakes. You’re letting a # hold you from solving a major problem.

You put a reliable QB on a 3yr/15M deal with 6M guaranteed. We now know this was completely attainable based on Teddy Bridgewaters deal. We certainly know this isn’t a far fetched idea as you implied by trying to disprove it.
You bite the bullet and pay them the 6M year 1 signing bonus (with a 500K bonus any year they start regular season consecutive games and finish .500 or better...and an additional 500K for each playoff game they win). If they play multiple games and win? I’ll gladly pay them $7 if they’re winning! Or $8M if they win the Super Bowl! And then have them for 2 more years at 4.5M salary (option) Otherwise If they don’t see the field? That means #12 played every game. I’m ok with that too. The next year you have an out.. or you pay em 4.5 plus bonus’

This is the point again. There’s options to acquire a solid QB without filing chapter 7 afterwards. Nobody says it has to be exactly 7M in every scenario for every player. That’s just ludicrous. We don’t go into contract negotiations with blinders on in regards to $ amounts. Heck we just wiped $8M off the books in a flick of the wrist with Daniels, so you can’t say “we can’t afford it”, that’s purely subjective at this juncture. We all know there’s a million ways to structure contracts to lessen the hit to our liking.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We’re throwing #s around to make a point. But you’re taking it too literally to get the point I’m (and many others) are making. You can dance around the 7M # all you want or give us excuses as to why getting a backup QB can’t happen. But you can’t expect to get quality veteran QBs for rookie contract money. They don’t go hand in hand. You get what you pay for. I’m not going to qualify that statement. because you may follow that previous pattern and show me examples of anomalies to prove that point wrong also.

You negotiate for gosh sakes. You’re letting a # hold you from solving a major problem.

You put a reliable QB on a 3yr/15M deal with 6M guaranteed. We now know this was completely attainable based on Teddy Bridgewaters deal. We certainly know this isn’t a far fetched idea as you implied by trying to disprove it.
You bite the bullet and pay them the 6M year 1 signing bonus (with a 500K bonus any year they start regular season consecutive games and finish .500 or better...and an additional 500K for each playoff game they win). If they play multiple games and win? I’ll gladly pay them $7 if they’re winning! Or $8M if they win the Super Bowl! And then have them for 2 more years at 4.5M salary (option) Otherwise If they don’t see the field? That means #12 played every game. I’m ok with that too. The next year you have an out.. or you pay em 4.5 plus bonus’

This is the point again. There’s options to acquire a solid QB without filing chapter 7 afterwards. Nobody says it has to be exactly 7M in every scenario for every player. That’s just ludicrous. We don’t go into contract negotiations with blinders on in regards to $ amounts. Heck we just wiped $8M off the books in a flick of the wrist with Daniels, so you can’t say “we can’t afford it”, that’s purely subjective at this juncture. We all know there’s a million ways to structure contracts to lessen the hit to our liking.

It's just not a smart way to handle the cap by paying a backup quarterback several million bucks a season when your starting quarterback is one of the highest paid players in the league. While it's possible to structure a deal in a way to lessen the cap hit in a specific season at some point it will count against the team's cap.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts