What if Rodgers gets hurt again....

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not until just now. I believe Foles is a bit of a flake. The point is to illustrate that Foles was damaged goods when he went to the Eagles in 2017, not some obvious choice for a backup.

And again, he went there because of Wentz lackluster rookie year, the possibility of starting if Wentz didn't improve, and the Eagles paid him backup money in line with being a performance insurance backup.

Foles went to the Eagles to be reunited with Pederson.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

The connection is the reason...

This is probably a good read for you.
https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/01/h...-foles-becoming-a-philadelphia-folk-hero.html

He also said as much when he won the superbowl.
Yeah, well, he was "reunited" with Reid in KC, saying it was a rejuvenation. Then they drafted Mahomes and a year later he was released. In Philly, he got his best possible paycheck and the possibility of starting with Wentz's rookie year having not going so great. Wonderful things get said going in. And wonderful things get said going out...if things go well.

No matter. Either way or both, it goes to illustrate what goes into a journeyman QBs decision in where he goes. At the top of the list is a chance to start and the paycheck to go with it, some prior connection being a factor. So, if a veteran backup to Rodgers is wanted, scratch the chance to start, then consider how much you'd have to overpay him to forego that opportunity if he's worth a d*mn.

Colin Formichella

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, well, he was "reunited" with Reid in KC, saying it was a rejuvenation. Then they drafted Mahomes and a year later he was released. In Philly, he got his best possible paycheck and the possibility of starting with Wentz's rookie year having not going so great. Wonderful things get said going in. And wonderful things get said going out...if things go well.

No matter. Either way or both, it goes to illustrate what goes into a journeyman QBs decision in where he goes. At the top of the list is a chance to start and the paycheck to go with it, some prior connection being a factor. So, if a veteran backup to Rodgers is wanted, scratch the chance to start, then consider how much you'd have to overpay him to forego that opportunity if he's worth a d*mn.
You're preaching to the choir.
#cutkizer

Colin Formichella

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy called Kizer a first round talent when the trade was made. While McCarthy is gone, there may be others in the house, perhaps the GM who executed the trade, that agreed with that assessment and are not ready to let go of it.

LaFleur was the QB coach at Notre Dame in 2014 when Kizer was a first year red shirt who went on to start the next two years after LaFleur left. Maybe LaFleur sees something there.
Reel in trubinsky and trade kizer to Chicago

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We need better backup quarterbacks to replace hundley and kizer

Reel in trubinsky and trade kizer to Chicago

Rumpelstiltskin: "Everything comes at a price"

Hundley is no longer with the Packers.

The Packers have a limited amount of money to spend on every position, devoting too much money to the #2 QB, when your #1 is the highest paid player in the NFL, isn't going to help make the rest of the team any better. I also think that there isn't a backup QB currently on another team, that is enough of an upgrade over Kizer, that he would make enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Trubisky isn't going anywhere anytime soon, he is the Bears QB of the future. Even if for some crazy reason the Bears wanted to trade him, his price to obtain and keep would be off the charts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumpelstiltskin: "Everything comes at a price"

Hundley is no longer with the Packers.

The Packers have a limited amount of money to spend on every position, devoting too much money to the #2 QB, when your #1 is the highest paid player in the NFL, isn't going to help make the rest of the team any better. I also think that there isn't a backup QB currently on another team, that is enough of an upgrade over Kizer, that he would make enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Trubisky isn't going anywhere anytime soon, he is the Bears QB of the future. Even if for some crazy reason the Bears wanted to trade him, his price to obtain and keep would be off the charts.
Thanks for putting the whole backup QB discussion in perspective. I was initially against keeping Kizer, but maybe in a new system he discovers some new skills (he is young), and there are few, if any, alternatives.

But it’s the cost and availability of a quality BU QB that stands in the way. Ideally, the BU only plays in the PS and when the game is out of reach anyway. Comparisons to Foles aren’t really viable, it was a very different situation. Wentz had a rough rookie campaign. We don’t have those concerns with Rodgers. I’d rather the roster spot and dollars be used where we need other help, like keeping Rodgers healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who should we trade kizer with ?
Right now Kizer's value is probably highest with the Packers, due to him being in the system for over a year, he is on a rookie deal and he is familiar with the receiving corp and the new coaches. His value to another team would be minimal and thus not someone you will probably see being traded. Not to mention, if the Packers got rid of him, then it's Boyle, a FA or trade for a more expensive journeyman QB, which can usually be picked up after the final cuts anyway.

Kizer will only be leaving the Packers if Boyle or Wilkins beats him out and I just don't see that happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point was that Foles had one or two very good seasons and then all of a sudden he got very ordinary. It seems that the offense changed during that time period and probably a different coach...and so he was just sitting there on the bench with talent that people wrongly assumed was a one season wonder. That can happen with players at many different positions.

While you might be right about the reasons Foles struggled the point I was trying to make is that the Packers don't have the luxury to pay a backup quarterback the kind of money the Eagles did with him because of not having a starter on a rookie deal.

The Packers have a limited amount of money to spend on every position, devoting too much money to the #2 QB, when your #1 is the highest paid player in the NFL, isn't going to help make the rest of the team any better.

Just for the record, Rodgers isn't the highest paid player in the league anymore.

Right now Kizer's value is probably highest with the Packers, due to him being in the system for over a year, he is on a rookie deal and he is familiar with the receiving corp and the new coaches.

While it's true Kizer probably has more value to the Packers than any other team they have a completely different system with LaFleur calling the plays though.

D

Deleted member 6794

After winning the Super Bowl, and the timing of Wentz's return uncertain coming off an ACL injury, the Eagles renegotiated Foles' 2018 year with an incentive laden deal, up to $15 mil according to one report. He probably earned a chunk of that incentive money starting the first two games, then the last three plus the two playoff games after Wentz suffered a stress fracture in his back.

According to OTC and Spotrac the Eagles paid Foles between $11.25-$12 million last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for putting the whole backup QB discussion in perspective. I was initially against keeping Kizer, but maybe in a new system he discovers some new skills (he is young), and there are few, if any, alternatives.
In my mind. He’s got 1 more year to prove himself or he’s gone. It would be costly to work out any other decent options this late, so at this juncture we’re committed.
While I respect that many take the vote that we can’t afford a veteran as a #2 QB, I still believe we can’t afford not to have a solid #2. It’s too important a position not to have an adequate backup, particularly in our case.. with an aging QB with a recent history of injury coupled with an obvious push towards building a SB caliber Defense.
Hopefully we will never know if Kizer can
finally hold his own this year. We obviously see something emerging in Kizer, so we can only hope this finally pays off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While I respect that many take the vote that we can’t afford a veteran as a #2 QB, I still believe we can’t afford not to have a solid #2. It’s too important a position not to have an adequate backup, particularly in our case..

There's not a single poster suggesting the Packers don't need a solid backup quarterback. They will have to find one still on a rookie contract though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just for the record, Rodgers isn't the highest paid player in the league anymore.

True, Russell Wilson, for now, is THAT guy, but still the same result. Rodgers salary makes it very hard to justify spending a lot of money on his backup.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mind. He’s got 1 more year to prove himself or he’s gone. It would be costly to work out any other decent options this late, so at this juncture we’re committed.
While I respect that many take the vote that we can’t afford a veteran as a #2 QB, I still believe we can’t afford not to have a solid #2. It’s too important a position not to have an adequate backup, particularly in our case.. with an aging QB with a recent history of injury coupled with an obvious push towards building a SB caliber Defense.
Hopefully we will never know if Kizer can
finally hold his own this year. We obviously see something emerging in Kizer, so we can only hope this finally pays off.
Hopefully the only time we see Kizer this year is in garbage time.

GB made a mistake letting Taysom Hill go to the Saints. Past is past. Next year I expect them to use a relatively high pick on a BU. Ron Wolf used to do this.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not Taysom Hill again. Please, he's a good athlete that works hard. He's likeable and they found a way to get him some plays. He is NOT their back up QB either. They traded for a gimped up guy that hasn't run around on a football field for anything meaningful in 2 years because he destroyed his knee to be their back up. that should tell you something about Hill's back up QB potential.

and while Wolf drafted a lot of QB's, they were almost exclusively 4th, 5th, 9th etc round picks. Not high picks.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any we should have made a move for Bridgewater. Or go back to Colin Kaep who nobody still wants.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any we should have made a move for Bridgewater. Or go back to Colin Kaep who nobody still wants.

Or continue to develop the QB who, when drafted, many said would be a project to develop with high upside.

Kizer.

Doing so costs the team no additional cap in signing a veteran.

Reaction score
While I respect that many take the vote that we can’t afford a veteran as a #2 QB

There's not a single poster suggesting the Packers don't need a solid backup quarterback.
There’s a big difference in between the concepts you claimed I referred to and the concept I actually stated.
The concept I stated to is specific to posters who...
just forget it this isn’t worth even finishing this sentence. Lol

Last edited: