What if I told you we were seconds away from a dynasty...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was on a plane the other day and started reading Next Man Up by John Feinstein. Its the story of a journalist who follows the Ravens for one year with full access to the team. In it I found this gem about Ray Lewis on page 127 about the 1996 NFL draft, which caused me to press the button for the stewardess and order several drinks.

"Knowing about the doubts scouts had about his size, Lewis went into draft day simply hoping to get taken in the first round. Even so, as he watched one linebacker after another being taken before him, Lewis was dismayed. Kevin Hardy went to Jacksonville with the second pick, John Mobley went to Denver with the fifteenth; Reggie Brown went to Detroit with the seventeenth. "I knew I was better than were," he said. He heard ESPN's draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. saying that he had great speed and talent but was simply too small to be a star in the NFL. Finally, late in the first round, the phone rang. It was the Packers. They had the twenty-seventh pick and, as soon as Baltimore got through making its pick at twenty-six, they were planning to take him. Lewis was fine with that. He wondered if Maxie Baughn would be disappointed that the Ravens had decided not to take him. Another phone rang. It was Newsome. He would not, as it turned out, be going to Green Bay.

Now if Ray Lewis would have joined the 1996 Packers it would have been just that much better of a team. In addition I cant believe that Davis would have run on us the following SB like he did. Thats two, even after that we had a couple of great shots at the SB we squandered, would that have happened if Wolf would have got his man would the 90s Packers be the team of the decade? Would we have had a dynasty? I believe so, what do you think?

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you can never say what would have been. Certainly drafting Ray Lewis would have had an immense impact on the Packers, but the situations are so, so different. Lewis has been great for his entire career, but also has had the benefit of playing on many great defenses (including the greatest of all time on the 2000 Ravens). Lewis would have been the lone bright spot on some pretty putrid defenses from '99 through '05ish. While he would still most likely have been a playmaker, it's hard to say how much his presence alone would have done. We were still haunted every year by terrible play in the secondary and, a lot of times, a very poor pass rush.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and I just have to say, I think we're closer to putting together a dynasty RIGHT NOW than we were in '96. The '96 and '97 teams were stacked, yes, but they also had a lot of aging players or players that quickly dropped off. Right now we've got a talented young nucleus full of players locked up in multi-year contracts. Packers have a good 4 or 5 year window right now in which they could certainly win multiple championships.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't see it happening knowing about BrINT throwing those picks in playoff games.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Oh, and I just have to say, I think we're closer to putting together a dynasty RIGHT NOW than we were in '96. The '96 and '97 teams were stacked, yes, but they also had a lot of aging players or players that quickly dropped off. Right now we've got a talented young nucleus full of players locked up in multi-year contracts. Packers have a good 4 or 5 year window right now in which they could certainly win multiple championships.

Thats what I'm saying... but screw that window...we have a huge door!!! LOL!!! :D

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great nugget, ivo. Had no idea about that...

Lewis as a Packer would've been great. Maybe we wouldn't have had a dynasy, since there were some key old players that never got replaced. But he certainly would've helped tremenduously.

Of course, we need to remember that, as much as Michels lasted very shortly, he was a key component to that SB...

L

Lunchboxer

Can't see it happening knowing about BrINT throwing those picks in playoff games.

Like that one playoff game againt the Rams when Mr. Int King had his carrer day with 6 Int.

Like who does that. 6 Int in 1 game in a playoff game no less. If Rodgers was playing on that team in that game we probably went to the SB and won it.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well we know that Lewis is great in a 3-4 defense, but weren't the Packers playing a 4-3 ?

Members online

Latest posts