What has me excited about this season

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Martinez getting hurt and Bishop taking over for him was a huge reason we won the super bowl that year. I honestly don't think we would have with Martinez. There were a few other good things that happened during that year also.
The 2011 SB? Was Martinez around then? I thought he was drafted later.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not certain how you can blame an interior linebacker for making tackles after 3-4 yards of gain. They're playing more than one gap, making reads to determine if they need to drop into coverage, and often playing sideline to sideline. They aren't playing at the line, but off the line, or they'd be picked up in the line blocking, and swept away from plays. I don't believe that was happening with either Hawk, or Martinez.

And yes, I am impressed by a player who consistently makes the most tackles in games, and has a substantially low whiff rate. Also, remember that tackles missed are often later in games, when their arms are tired, their shoulders ache, and legs are turning to rubber.

Most interior linebackers who make a lot of tackles play a very high number of plays each game on defense.

Personally, I believe Barnett, Hawk, and Martinez all got a bad wrap because people don't always understand their role on the field.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone made the point that we’re bringing back the same D along WITH our rookies… lets not forget that J’aire was basically out all last year. The O-line was strong last year even with Bahk and Jenkins out. I expect them to Bahk to come back strong and Jenkins over time. WRs and TE are our 2 big areas of question but imo thats on Rodgers to solve or what are we paying him all this money for? I have no doubt we get to the playoffs and then its all about being healthy and “hot”. Until then we should enjoy some pretty good football along the way!!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2011 SB? Was Martinez around then? I thought he was drafted later.
Yes, he was. He never was a real middle linebacker. He got hurt midway through the season and Bishop took over. I think Clay Mathews was a rookie that year and he really played well right off the bat. Howard Green came in and played good as well as the L tackle. And of course Starks pouring it on towards the end of the season and in the playoffs was a spark. Martinez was a weak link all season long (and before). When he got hurt, Bishop came in and made a huge difference in the defense. Or I don't think we would have even been in the super bowl game. SORRY, NOT MARTINEZ, I MEANT BARNETT

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez wasn't around when Bishop was playing, that was Nick Barnett.
Thanks Mondio. I don't know when Martinez was drafted, but I think it was around 2013--2015. He played 4 years in GB and was signed by the Giants as a FA. He had an lot of tackles. Unfortunately a lot of them were well past the LOS.

And I don't think CMIII was a rookie in 2010-2011. Seems like he had been playing for a few years. He did make a huge play in the SB near the end. May have saved the game as I recall. I remember Kevin Greene, RIP, "The time is NOW!" That was awesome.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Mondio. I don't know when Martinez was drafted, but I think it was around 2013--2015. He played 4 years in GB and was signed by the Giants as a FA. He had an lot of tackles. Unfortunately a lot of them were well past the LOS.

And I don't think CMIII was a rookie in 2010-2011. Seems like he had been playing for a few years. He did make a huge play in the SB near the end. May have saved the game as I recall. I remember Kevin Greene, RIP, "The time is NOW!" That was awesome.

Blake Martinez was selected by us in 2016 draft. He was just recently not resigned and has played two seasons in NY for the Giants (2020 and 2021 seasons) with last year tearing his ACL. In his healthy seasons with full season of starting he has never had less than 144 tackles and has averaged 3 sacks a year - quite an above average player and excellent tackler (however yes he is not a behind LOS game changer at all).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake Martinez was selected by us in 2016 draft. He was just recently not resigned and has played two seasons in NY for the Giants (2020 and 2021 seasons) with last year tearing his ACL. In his healthy seasons with full season of starting he has never had less than 144 tackles and has averaged 3 sacks a year - quite an above average player and excellent tackler (however yes he is not a behind LOS game changer at all).
Thanks for the update. Martinez was consistent, I'll give him that. I didn't know about his ACL.

Reaction score
In my opinion Martinez getting hurt and Bishop taking over for him was a huge reason we won the super bowl that year. I honestly don't think we would have with Martinez. There were a few other good things that happened during that year also.SORRY, I MEANT BARNETT
Sure. Sometimes it takes an injury to find out you can get an upgrade. We learned that also with Starks on our Road to the Super Bowl victory. Teams get complacent with the “known quantity”. Teams will often settle for mediocrity (understanding it can take effort just to get to that point in this league) in lieu of taking a chance at greatness.

Reaction score
We need just 1 of Walker or Wyatt to play “near exceptional” (think 2021 Deondre or Rasul). If that one aspect happens in conjunction with more playing time for J’aire? We should see a marked improvement on Defense.

I’m not sure how much we will utilize Wyatt early, but Not many DT come along anywhere near that 9.6 RAS regularly. Those athletic profiles are reserved for the Quinnen Williams, Rashan Gary, Jordan Davis types. They rarely sniff a Day 2 selection. Wyatt fell victim to a thick DT class and got overshadowed by his 340lb Georgia counterpart (Davis) running some record breaking splits. Take away Jordan Davis and several relatively minor domestic incidents? I think Wyatt goes in the 11-20 overall range, similar to Rashan.

Wyatt will probably need a season to get up to speed, but his potential is absolutely in that Kenny Clark area. Having 2 Clark’s and a top-5 Pass Rusher in Gary is very formidable. Backing it up with our LB crew and All Star trifecta at CB and it puts Amos and Savage as the weakest link.
Yes, you heard me correctly.
That’s not a slight on a good Safety duo as much as it is a display of what type of Defensive power we have assembled.

I rewatched some various Christian Watson film. He absolutely was one of the most impressive WR at the Senior Bowl. Penn state, Baylor, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, Illinois, Texas A&M, these were legit DB’s from top programs and Christian (and Romeo Doubs also) was not fazed. Almost every critic was impressed by Watson’s ability to Win against whoever covered him. Anything Watson will lose in early drops will be erased by his elite level YAC and elite level blocking. He’s our guy, it’s not IF, it’s WHEN he is declared our #1 WR. It’s possibly we lean on Sammy or Cobb or Lazard earlier in 2022, but do not be surprised if it’s Watson that impresses and earns more looks as the season progresses.

With that said, Lord told me to lighten up on #12 (no pun intended) that inspired me to offer this next part. I’m thankful that Rodgers seems to have taken an approach of hospitality concerning new Receivers. At least I’m mostly taking him for his word that he has set himself upon bringing this entire group up to speed. If there is a QB who can make up for any deficiency at WR inexperience? #12 is who I would pick to get the job done.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My DVR recorded the 2009 Packers/Cardinals playoff game last weekend. I watched it the other night. They referenced Clay Matthews being a rookie that season, so 2009 was his rookie year.

Most of us remember the end of that game, when Rodgers got smacked in the face and coughed up the ball for a game-ending defensive touchdown. What I didn't remember was how lopsided the game was initially. The Packers were down 21-0, then 24-7, and 31-14 before eventually tying the game up in the second half at 45-45. Rodgers through an INT on his first throw of the game. Donald Driver fumbled the ball on the second drive. The offense wasn't clicking. The defense which was really good under the first year of Dom Capers, was getting whooped. Then Mr. Charles Woodson ripped the ball out of Larry Fitzgerald's arms and Clay Matthews ran it all the way down to the red zone. The game changed on that play. What a game. Too bad that we lost but it was fun to watch again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My DVR recorded the 2009 Packers/Cardinals playoff game last weekend. I watched it the other night. They referenced Clay Matthews being a rookie that season, so 2009 was his rookie year.

Most of us remember the end of that game, when Rodgers got smacked in the face and coughed up the ball for a game-ending defensive touchdown. What I didn't remember was how lopsided the game was initially. The Packers were down 21-0, then 24-7, and 31-14 before eventually tying the game up in the second half at 45-45. Rodgers through an INT on his first throw of the game. Donald Driver fumbled the ball on the second drive. The offense wasn't clicking. The defense which was really good under the first year of Dom Capers, was getting whooped. Then Mr. Charles Woodson ripped the ball out of Larry Fitzgerald's arms and Clay Matthews ran it all the way down to the red zone. The game changed on that play. What a game. Too bad that we lost but it was fun to watch again.
I remember that game as well. Yeah we lost but damn it was exciting. And the start of some very good years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes the long way is more interesting
I agree that Google is faster. I'm also lazy. But you're right, if you take the long way, you usually learn more. I would not have put CMIII's rookie season with that playoff game against the Cardinals, or even recall much about that game. And in spite of how it ended, it was a pretty damn exciting game to watch. It brought back memories. So yeah, sometimes the long way pays dividends.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Football Reference is a good free service. I use it all the time. It's amazing how deep they go with information. A real stats geek's paradise, so to speak. ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Football Reference is a good free service. I use it all the time. It's amazing how deep they go with information. A real stats geek's paradise, so to speak. ;)
Yeah I was just entering player names and the results were well presented. I didn't know that Adams had two, identical 997 yard seasons. For what that's worth!

Reaction score

I hate to say it. That was the first of a host of Rodgers led losses in the playoffs. Thankfully, we had a Stellar Defense in 2010 to push us over the finish line for a SB.
Since that SB, in the playoffs, we’ve been in 7-9 postseason rut. Since Rodgers took over as starter, we’ve also lost every Rodgers Playoff Overtime contest (0-3)

Lost to Giants at Lambeau
Lost to SF at SF
Lost to SF at Lambeau
Lost to Seahawks at Seattle
Lost to Cardinals at Arizona
Lost to Atlanta at Atlanta
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Lost to SF at SF
Lost to Tampa at Lambeau
Lost to SF at Lambeau

That said. This Defense has more potential than any season since ‘10. We’ve pushed all our chips in and it looks like we have 2-3 seasons of chances to break this streak and get that Lombardi back where it belongs.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I was just entering player names and the results were well presented. I didn't know that Adams had two, identical 997 yard seasons. For what that's worth!
I believe you found an error in their stats. It differs with what the NFL stats say.

Members online

Latest posts