What happened to Ryan

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was brought in because he punted in Canada and can handle bad weather. He has had a good year up til now but he was awful last night.

Not that he was the only one but this was his first test in bad weather and he failed.

Our whole special teams looked high schoolish last night.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been very unimpressed with GB special teams all season, and last night, they were horrible. Ryan, who was one of the bright spots, stunk as well. I know his father has been very ill and who knows, maybe the personal stuff has started taking a toll, I have no idea.

But consistently bad special teams play loses games. I think that is one thing that is possibly overlooked a little bit in the morning after 'blame game.' We couldn't kick, we couldn't block (for our field goal kicker) and we couldn't tackle on returns. Nor could we seem to get any good returns from our end. Over and over again. No big plays, no big breaks. Just mistakes.

Hard to win that way.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been very unimpressed with GB special teams all season, and last night, they were horrible. Ryan, who was one of the bright spots, stunk as well. I know his father has been very ill and who knows, maybe the personal stuff has started taking a toll, I have no idea.

But consistently bad special teams play loses games. I think that is one thing that is possibly overlooked a little bit in the morning after 'blame game.' We couldn't kick, we couldn't block (for our field goal kicker) and we couldn't tackle on returns. Nor could we seem to get any good returns from our end. Over and over again. No big plays, no big breaks. Just mistakes.

Hard to win that way.

Good point about his dad...I forgot about that.

Special teams are reflective of desire and depth. I don't think our talent level is good enough to have effective depth.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the special teams were pretty good overall for the first half of the season, but beginning with the Buffalo game, they have declined sharply. I think up till the Buffalo game the Packers were leading the league in fewest yards allowed on kickoffs. Now both the punter and kicker are getting shakier, the kick coverage team is atrocious, and the return teams are no better. (Man, am I getting sick of watching Morency run straight into the pile! The one time he took it to the edge last night he returned it past the 40 yard line.)

As for the blocked kick, everyone has been blaming the O-line, but to me that looked like a VERY low kick, especially for a 28-yarder. I think that one is on Rayner.

I've heard that the Patriots actually draft players partly because of their special teams potential. Maybe Thompson should do this.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Snow in Seattle is very different than the snow in the Mid America or Canada where he has and would most likely encounter snow.

Seattle snow is a very wet slushy mess. Footing is a *****. You never will get Seattle Snow in GB or MIN.

The fact it was snowing during a game in Seattle is an aberation that we may never see the Packers in again in the next 50 years.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I thought the special teams were pretty good overall for the first half of the season, but beginning with the Buffalo game, they have declined sharply. I think up till the Buffalo game the Packers were leading the league in fewest yards allowed on kickoffs. Now both the punter and kicker are getting shakier, the kick coverage team is atrocious, and the return teams are no better. (Man, am I getting sick of watching Morency run straight into the pile! The one time he took it to the edge last night he returned it past the 40 yard line.)

As for the blocked kick, everyone has been blaming the O-line, but to me that looked like a VERY low kick, especially for a 28-yarder. I think that one is on Rayner.

I've heard that the Patriots actually draft players partly because of their special teams potential. Maybe Thompson should do this.

I think for the most part lot of teams do what your saying N.e does..

In fact think back a long time ago...Sterling, Robert, Freeman all did punt returns and kickoffs if not mistaken b4 they found their way into the wr roles..

Lot of guys are drafted to fill those roles and work their way on up, is the way i see it..

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Are we missing Fergy???? :roll:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

dude we gave up a huge Punt return TD in our first game and havent had a kick return get over the halfway line yet to my recollection!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trust me, his very sick father is taking its toll on every aspect of his life. sometimes it's easy to forget that these guys are well...just guys with difficulties to deal with like all of us.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
The Snow in Seattle is very different than the snow in the Mid America or Canada where he has and would most likely encounter snow.

Seattle snow is a very wet slushy mess. Footing is a *****. You never will get Seattle Snow in GB or MIN.

The fact it was snowing during a game in Seattle is an aberation that we may never see the Packers in again in the next 50 years.

RP - you are a very respectful person, so I will try to be gentle here: That is a definate top 5 homer excuse - he was kicking on a 'different snow'. Good one.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

dude we gave up a huge Punt return TD in our first game and havent had a kick return get over the halfway line yet to my recollection!

Dude, the kick coverage has been way worse than the punt coverage in the past few weeks. The Bills ran the opening kickoff back well past midfield. Anyway, my point wasn't to say which coverage team has been worse. My point was that special teams in general have declined sharply in the past few weeks.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i cant believe his fathers status has anything to do with his kicking.

dont jump my bones here... im just sayin thats a pretty big stretch.

it was snowing... and he is a rookie. there is bound to be some inconsitency. with this many rookies starting. i think we have to accept that there will be ups and downs. and not make up personal reasons as to why they are playing. Ryan will bounce back. hes got the leg, just had a bad game at a bad time in bad weather.

not to mention, anytime your punter leads the team in special team tackles. you have serious issues. once a game is too much. 3-4 is absurd.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i concur. maybe he was trying too much to not get a touchback, and....they were short. I dont judge rookies on one game.

Kinda like people are doing in the hodge thread. We just went through this with Spitz\Colledge who are turning out to be solid.

The next 1-2 snow games will tell us a lot about ryan and the snow. Hopefully this was a one time thing.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my dad fought his battle with cancer for 2 years before passing away so trust me, it absolutely WILL have an effect on every part of his life. it's not an excuse - just the truth.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Yeah well I wouldnt blame the weather too much on it. the reason I say that is because simply look at the Seahawks. Did they have major problems punting it? No, they got away a couple of nice kicks. BTW if Ryan cant kick in the snow why do we have him?!?/ Why do we want him?

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i concur. maybe he was trying too much to not get a touchback, and....they were short. I dont judge rookies on one game.

Kinda like people are doing in the hodge thread. We just went through this with Spitz\Colledge who are turning out to be solid.

The next 1-2 snow games will tell us a lot about ryan and the snow. Hopefully this was a one time thing.

Everyone gets judged every game wether it's a rookie in his first start or a 16 year veteran, that's part of the fun. I don't think anyone is writing off Ryan or Hodge or anyone else because of 1 bad game. Hodge at least gets a free pass on his poor performance last week for the simple fact that he is a football player, Ryan on the other hand is a punter, with 99% of his responsibilities being "kick the ball far".

As for Spitz and Colledge they do have a lot of potential, but to call them "solid" at this point is about as premature as calling Hodge a bust. The've looked good at some points this season but looked anything but solid the last 2 weeks.

I'm sure most fans here expect rookies to have good games and bad ones.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone know if hang time stats on punts are compiled? If a punter is top 5 in the league in gross average and bottom 5 in net average, its either an issue with hang time or with punt coverage.

gbpackers0065

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I would be open to signing Vanderjagt im sure rayner or someone else would be a FA if it doesnt work out

Members online

Latest posts