1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What are we going to do about a pass rusher?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Brandon, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mor4les

mor4les Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Its also fair to say we won 15 games last season due to the offense not the defense....

It seems like a lot of you guys think the best way to adress the lack of pass rush is doing nothing, just hoping Neal, Wynn, Zombo... become something they are not, they are averge players nothing else.
    Of course we can always get lucky an get another moster player late in the first round like Clay that makes an impact his first year.

2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I would say it a bit differently. We won 15 games in SPITE of the defense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    I generally try to worry about the games we lost, not the games we won.

Sometimes doing nothing is better than overreacting. It's worked out for us countless times, and look at the other teams that overreact to an issue and try and correct it. I believe in TT and our coaching staff.

The market is slowly starting to cool down on free agency, so it's very possible Ted sticks his toe in the water and checks the temp.

Last season Houston was terrible on defense. This past season they were great. Minor changes and tweaks. Same with 49ers. Minor changes n tweaks. Then you had Philly. Mistake. And on the other side of the ball you heard about Atlanta needing a big play WR to stretch the field n keep up with GB. So they overreact and trade a bunch of draft picks for jones. Huge mistake long term.

4. mor4les

mor4les Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    You are right, overreacting isnt good, but doing almost nothing can cost us a lot of games if the defense continue to struggle in the front seven and Rodgers and the offense have to carry the team all season long again.

The 49ers change the whole coaching staff, and Houston got a new defensive coach an probably most of the defensive assistant and position coaches so IMO thats a big change for both team.

I was never sold on the Eagles hype, and yes ATL needed a defensive improvement not another weapon on offense, so the Jones trade didnt work for them

5. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +486
    It would be very high on my list.

6. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +179
    stopping hitler, going back in time and seeing jesus just to see if it's all true, buying stock and playing the lottery, having sexual relations with women. That's just the tip of the iceberg, oh speaking of which maybe warning the titanic to use all their lifeboats. :)

7. Cali's#1Fan

Cali's#1Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Bruce Irvin is our answer! You all know about him, played DE but perfect size and speed for a ROLB. Dude is a beast.

*crosses fingers*

• Like Like x 1
  8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    Vikings draft randy moss.
    Moss torches the pack his first season
    Packers draft 3 corners to fix it
    3 corners didn't fix it
    Waste of 3 picks

• Like Like x 1
  9. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +179
    I think the drafting 3 CB's was a mistake at the time and obviously it was in hindsight. You can't say it's a waste though because they didn't draft those players thinking "these players aren't going to be very good" I mean it's actually pretty unlucky that they didn't turn out better. Mike Mckenzie was good and fred vinson allowed us to get ahman green. Antuan Edwards was the huge bust.

10. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +486

You need to get your priorities straight. Green Bay Packers,God,and family

• Like Like x 2
  11. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +179
    looks like packers might sign a free agent, Kendall Langford who would play d-end in our 3-4. He played previously for the dolphins and is a huge body that can apply pressure. I would be very happy if this happened.

12. SEWICHEESE

SEWICHEESE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    You beat me to this. Good post

13. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'm thinking that since our offense (in some peoples minds) lost two games last year we should just focus on upgrading our offense. :)

14. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Two new starters via free agency, two new starters via the draft and a new defensive coordinator.

15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    But no huge spashes in Free Agency.

Drafting well is a big part of it, which is within the org. And a great coach/ cord can do wonders with a roster to conceal its weaknesses, again something you dont need to do in free agency. Thanks for adding to my point.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    Its pretty simple, if Arod plays well we win, if he doesnt we more than likely will lose.

You could argue the O line needs some work. Hali had a field day in KC.

17. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Use the draft.

18. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    Probably draft one in the 1st round. I doubt he'll beat out any of the starters but still contribute. Maybe give it a year.

19. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Fact check: "Johnathan Joseph gets 5 years, $48.75 million and $23.5 guaranteed, including $12.5 signing bonus. Daniel Manning gets $20 million over four years, including $9 million guaranteed and $11.5 million over the first two years."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...-D-with-deals-with-Joseph-Manning-2079323.php

20. SEWICHEESE

SEWICHEESE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19

Bunk.

Johnathan Joeseph is pro bowl quality and Daniel Manning is decent starter quality.

21. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Yes I think if we can get the offense to average 40 points a game we will be in fine shape. That's just a 5 point increase over last year. Meanwhile just let the defense wallow in its own ineptitude.

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    Its Joseph, and yeah he had a decent year I will give you that. As far as Manning, I clearly remember him getting burnt on the reg by GB.

So between the two teams we agree 1 player came in and positively affected the changes in defense.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    Or we could just blow up the entire team after going 15-1 in the regular season and being ranked 13th in the league in defense through 15 games. lol

24. SEWICHEESE

SEWICHEESE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19

Regarding Joseph. If by a decent year, you mean pro bowl, then yes, we agree. I do think Manning was an improvement on their team too.
    Smart, calculated FA acquisitions can add alot to your team. This is the year TT should enter that market again. I would explore at C and DE. I think its likely and very reasonable to state that we cant fix all of our holes, for next season, from within and through the draft.

25. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Who said anything about blowing up the offense. Again the defense was ranked last in the league through 15 games.