WHAT A VIEW!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get so tickled by some in this forum. Talk about letting the past affect how you see today. WOW.
So many in here letting what happened two years ago determining how they assess where we are today. What am I talking about?

In 2004 we went 10-6.
In 2005 we went 4-12.... and now we are in this deep dive that will take years to fix, rebuilding, reloading, yada, yada, yada.

What if you just forget 2004. What do you see? Well, here's what I see.

A) One of the youngest teams in the NFL with a core of young, quality players.

B) A team slammed with a mind-boggling number of key injuries, yet...

C) A team that competed head to head in every game but one.

D) A team with a lot of cap room and a prime draft position in one of the
best drafts in many years.

Now, if you throw out what happened TWO YEARS AGO which is ancient history in the NFL anyways what I see is a team on the VERGE! I mean really! If another team that did NOT win in '04 showed what we showed what with all the injuries and young players wouldn't they be earmarked as a team to watch next year?

AND...(I can't resist this) a new and young coaching staff of some of the young guns in the league ready to show what they got and drooling for next year to start VS...... the old regime resting on what? There's that word again......the past.

We all have a view from our own Universe. All I know is the view I have from here ain't bad at all.

O.K. all you nay-sayers. Here's your potpourri to spew all the doom and gloom as you see fit.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Warhawk I rather see things your way than doomsday´s way...

I say lets wait until pre-season begins, yes preseason, a team ready for preseason will be better prepared for the upcoming season and then we can judge better.

But until then I will give TT, MM and the whole team the benefit of the doubt

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Warhawk---Terrific post!! I have the same view, here close up, in DePere, Wi. just five miles from Lambeau Field. I have the same optimistic attitude every year--for some 60 years, first the draft, then minicamp, training camp, pre season games and then the NFL season begins!!!! Can't wait!!! Our love for our Packers is never ending here in Green Bay and this has been going on 87 years. The good Packer fans are always with the Packers -win or lose!! Packer fans are the reason why the Packer team is still in business in Green Bay, the smallest city in the major leagues . The Packer fans have dug deep down (four times in Franchise history) into their pockets to buy millions of dollars worth of Packer stock and have done so since 1922, when Green Bay Packers,Inc was founded as a community owned corporation. Packer fans kept the Packers from folding , which happened to all the other small town teams that were members of NFL in '20's & '30's. Canton Bulldogs, Frankfort Yellowjackets, Duluth Eskimos, and other small town teams who once played in NFL. After all these years, Green Bay Packers are the only small town team left, playing in same town and have the same nickname.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Warhawk---Terrific post!! I have the same view, here close up, in DePere, Wi. just five miles from Lambeau Field. I have the same optimistic attitude every year--for some 60 years, first the draft, then minicamp, training camp, pre season games and then the NFL season begins!!!! Can't wait!!! Our love for our Packers is never ending here in Green Bay and this has been going on 87 years. The good Packer fans are always with the Packers -win or lose!! Packer fans are the reason why the Packer team is still in business in Green Bay, the smallest city in the major leagues . The Packer fans have dug deep down (four times in Franchise history) into their pockets to buy millions of dollars worth of Packer stock and have done so since 1922, when Green Bay Packers,Inc was founded as a community owned corporation. Packer fans kept the Packers from folding , which happened to all the other small town teams that were members of NFL in '20's & '30's. Canton Bulldogs, Frankfort Yellowjackets, Duluth Eskimos, and other small town teams who once played in NFL. After all these years, Green Bay Packers are the only small town team left, playing in same town and have the same nickname.

Amen!!!

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with everyone being 100% confident that 1. We have no chance to do well this year, 2. We are in for a long run of losing seasons, 3. McCarthy was a bad hire, and 4. Thompson is making all the wrong personel moves..

No one knows until we let this thing play out.....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No discounting "BrettFavre4MVP's taste in things"......

warhawk said:
I was curious, - which game do 'you' think this was?

Otherwise, I fully concur... The Packers "are" the new generation, this time around!

What's more - I'd like to see everyone in here - take a look at all of the 'other' teams and tell me which of those would be on the same page as the Packers.... here's a hint...

1) NY Giants
2) ????

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
The Packer fans have dug deep down (four times in Franchise history) into their pockets to buy millions of dollars worth of Packer stock and have done so since 1922, when Green Bay Packers,Inc was founded as a community owned corporation. Packer fans kept the Packers from folding , which happened to all the other small town teams that were members of NFL in '20's & '30's. Canton Bulldogs, Frankfort Yellowjackets, Duluth Eskimos, and other small town teams who once played in NFL. After all these years, Green Bay Packers are the only small town team left, playing in same town and have the same nickname.
Boy, does this bring back memories.... It won't legitmately happen, since we're on a computer generated Forum - but I wonder just how many of the Members could actually name the 8 starting/founding members of the NFL - the original 8...? --- Or, how about who was it that invited the Packers to join the NFL and when was that?

Pssst - who were the Staleys?

Thanks, PWT36....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't need internet to answer who is Papa Halas, and Chicago Staleys...

The rest I would need the internet...LOL

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"We have nothing to fear except free agency, Brett Favre's retirement and the draft.."-net

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Warhawks original post - I'll add one more positive point- A favorable upcoming schedule- non division games - HOME - Ariz , Stl , NOR , NE , NYJ - AWAY - SF , Sea , Phil , Buf , Mia = 7-3 -say 3-3 in division = 10-6 and the playoffs . :beer:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ohiopacker said:
On Warhawks original post - I'll add one more positive point- A favorable upcoming schedule- non division games - HOME - Ariz , Stl , NOR , NE , NYJ - AWAY - SF , Sea , Phil , Buf , Mia = 7-3 -say 3-3 in division = 10-6 and the playoffs . :beer:

Hold on, now --- let's take this last year's turn-around of so many 2004 Playoff Teams - into what it became as Season 2005 progressed. This upcoming schedule doesn't seem so damn easy, after all. I can only 'hope' we get 10-6 to make the playoffs... it may take more than that this time around - da Bears are only going to get better, not worse - and (suddenly) it seems that Culpepper is (after an injury year) asking for MORE $$$$, or a trade AWAY from the Vikings.

The only NFC Nort' team we don't have to worry about will be the Lions, as long as Matt Millen is the head honcho - that much, at least, is a given.

Parity has hit the NFC North, guys!

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thank those of you that supported what I posted on Friday. I may be an eternal optimist but I feel we are FINALLY in a position to do some serious upgrading vs. doing NOTHING to improve a floundering "D" in '04 and destroying our "O" line in '05.

I was starting to get a little restless there the last couple of years as it seemed we just weren't willing, or, cap restriction wise maybe, capable of addressing and doing what needed to be done to improve and, in fact, saw great players leave with nothing to replace them.

Not so in '06. TT has to be salivating with what he's looking at. I read one college scouting service that rates 42 players with 1st round talent in this years draft vs. 22 last year and 19 the year before. So, TT can.......

1) Keep #5, #37, etc; and we get three or four players that can make a big difference or.......

2) trade down to say #9 or #10 and end up with three players in the top 42. WOW! three first round quality players? When's the last time the Pack has been in that position. (SEE: JavonWalker084 scenario).

Of course the big question remains. What is Brett going to do? Well, if he retires(please don't) and we cut Fergy and Digg's(which looks likely) we will have something like $32 or $33 million to spend. TT will(even if it's not in his nature) go to FA with the extra cash to bolster the "0" line and maybe running back to protect the young QB and strengthen the running game so he won't be asked to do so much. So......
If AR is our QB he will have a hell of a lot more talent around him than most 1st round QB's get and certainly more than Brett got last year.

Ironically, if Brett does retire, he will probably look at next years team and ask "why didn't I have that to work with?" I wouldn't blame him.

Personally, I hope he's back, adjusts his salary to help the team, which helps him, we get our injured guys back, we draft some PLAYERS, and, we kick some butt!

Noisey Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, one little bump in the road and every one is looking for the whole thing to come apart I my self am looking foward to next year and what it will bring

warhawk said:
I get so tickled by some in this forum. Talk about letting the past affect how you see today. WOW.
So many in here letting what happened two years ago determining how they assess where we are today. What am I talking about?

In 2004 we went 10-6.
In 2005 we went 4-12.... and now we are in this deep dive that will take years to fix, rebuilding, reloading, yada, yada, yada.

What if you just forget 2004. What do you see? Well, here's what I see.

A) One of the youngest teams in the NFL with a core of young, quality players.

B) A team slammed with a mind-boggling number of key injuries, yet...

D) A team with a lot of cap room and a prime draft position in one of the
best drafts in many years.

Now, if you throw out what happened TWO YEARS AGO which is ancient history in the NFL anyways what I see is a team on the VERGE! I mean really! If another team that did NOT win in '04 showed what we showed what with all the injuries and young players wouldn't they be earmarked as a team to watch next year?

AND...(I can't resist this) a new and young coaching staff of some of the young guns in the league ready to show what they got and drooling for next year to start VS...... the old regime resting on what? There's that word again......the past.

We all have a view from our own Universe. All I know is the view I have from here ain't bad at all.

O.K. all you nay-sayers. Here's your potpourri to spew all the doom and gloom as you see fit.

Latest posts