What a joke this whole preseason has been

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this pre-season has been a joke. Even we can see that there has been much to learn about our defensive backfield and who to keep. I hope that with the benefit of tape and time; the Packer coaches are getting a really good idea of who to keep on the O and D lines. That is what pre-season is about. Scoring or not scoring...winning or losing...looking good or bad; none of that matters a tinker's damn. The regular season will be here soon enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think this pre-season has been a joke. Even we can see that there has been much to learn about our defensive backfield and who to keep. I hope that with the benefit of tape and time; the Packer coaches are getting a really good idea of who to keep on the O and D lines. That is what pre-season is about. Scoring or not scoring...winning or losing...looking good or bad; none of that matters a tinker's damn. The regular season will be here soon enough.

Yup, just like college scouts do with film, this isn't so much looking at "the big picture" but looking at each individual players technique, what they did well, what they didn't do so well and how easy it will be to fix. Couple that with who they are playing against and its a science to study film and then apply it. We the casual fan see the play in normal speed and probably only take in 1/20th of all the little things happening. These coaches are even studying practice film, where they probably learn even more than just standing on the practice field.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict that MM will be coaching in Detroit around mid-season, about the time Bob Quin and the Lions figure out it was a colossal mistake hiring Matt Patricia. :coffee:

Crazy enough that thought actually did cross my mind. I mean not a midseason hiring per se but if the Lions went full blown putrid in the North by season's end. Of course after our bad performances against them last year ... they might think 2x though.

Other possibility is if Dan Quinn in Atlanta fails to meet the bar this year and uses up all of Arthur Blanc's good will, I could see MM taking his job. Even as bad as he'd look in red and black.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the offense needs attention. But if they're anti-offense, how much worse are they on defense. Because they've been trying to fix the defense for years without any results.

That there was the fault of Dom Capers and Joe Whitt. Either way though, draft strategy has to shift back to offense

D

Deleted member 6794

If there is blame to be had, it's in the front office. So far the buffoons in there have proven to be anti offense people who do nothing to give this team any weapons. Gute and Ball have done absolutely nothing to get the offense talent or speed, so if the offense struggles again this year it is all their fault. They need to be forced to draft all offense and not just slow TEs.

Gutekunst has signed Graham and Turner in free agency, used day 2 picks on Jenkins and Sternberger and drafted three receivers late in 2018. The front office hasn't ignored the offense by any means but not made the splashy moves some fans were advocating for.

That doesn't mean the offense won't be able to perform at an elite level as long as Rodgers is healthy though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I think want to respond, and then realize it's just a child having a tantrum and ignore it.

Reaction score
We had some bright notes last season. We played NE and LA tough on the road but fumbled both times that led to 4th quarter self-defeats. We also played Seattle and Chicago tough. These were not push over teams as they all went playoff bound.

We were a couple of stellar Defensive players away from putting 4-5 losses or ties in the W column and going Wildcard. This season we have essentially the same O but arguably a better OL. But our D now has the firepower to win us some of those close contests. Our floor is 9-7 range but our ceiling is likely 13-3 IMO.

We have to stop putting so much emphasis on preseason. These guys might play disjointed for a game or 3. But if can win 2 of the first 4 we’re going to “wear well” into the middle of the season and beyond. I see us 5-3 at midseason but with an uptick.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst has signed Graham and Turner in free agency, used day 2 picks on Jenkins and Sternberger and drafted three receivers late in 2018. The front office hasn't ignored the offense by any means but not made the splashy moves some fans were advocating for.

That doesn't mean the offense won't be able to perform at an elite level as long as Rodgers is healthy though.

Those moves don't do anywhere near enough to make the offense a greatest show on turf force

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i feel the rust factor for the starting O is going to be off the charts. new system on top of that. it'll be a miracle if it's not ugly as hell out there vs the bears.

Reaction score
When my dad was still alive, he always said there's a certain amount of LUCK
in the game of football.
Seems to be true, because how many games are win/lost that surprises even the odds makers.

Reaction score

True. I have a sneaky suspicion 2020 will be the year of the Offense. Where we finally see at least 2 of the top 3-4 draft picks on O. Possibly also another stellar FA move to round things out.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbgary,

I really do think it is going to be the opposite. With our #1 O going against our #1 D through much of TC, practicing against each other nearly 100% of the time, running their full play books, as opposed to dumbed down garbage we normally see in preseason games, I think this Packers team will come out for game 1 against CHI very much ready. Both sides of the ball benefit going against each other, and I believe both units are very good.

Totally agree preseason has turned into a mess. More players getting injured as they become bigger and faster, generating more force with the hits, players looking to make their name, secure their spot on a 53, etc.... teams have realized this over the years and have exposed their starters to fewer and fewer preseason games as a result.

Smart play by the HCs to withhold their top players from this fiasco, bad for the league itself. At least they got player safety right as an emphasis, but there is way more work to be done. I mean, we had this ******* from HOU taking Jace Sternberger's head off, TWICE, in a joint practice.

I like how LaFleur has held to his guns and kept most of our starters out of preseason games. I don't want to see a single starter play vs. KC on Thursday. Foolish to take the risk.

I don't think the Packers will look rusty v. CHI. They might look more ready than ever, if you think about how they've protected their starters, and have worked exclusively on their entire play book. Run blocking ought to take a bit of time, just like tackling for the D. That's normal.

Figure, they didn't have to waste time practicing vanilla...

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had some bright notes last season. We played NE and LA tough on the road but fumbled both times that led to 4th quarter self-defeats. We also played Seattle and Chicago tough. These were not push over teams as they all went playoff bound.
I expect GB to win the division, but that could have been a case of those teams playing down to their competition.

As for starting out rusty, we've got five of our home games in the first seven games. We need to take advantage of that, especially since they haven't shown much sign of being effective at winning on the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As for starting out rusty, we've got five of our home games in the first seven games. We need to take advantage of that, especially since they haven't shown much sign of being effective at winning on the road.

I thought about that too. The tough one is opening at Soldier field on a Thursday night. If the offense is trying to shake some rust off, that Air-Raid Siren that they started using last season isn't going to help. However, as you point out, they have the next 3 games at the friendly confines of Lambeau Field.

Reaction score
I expect GB to win the division, but that could have been a case of those teams playing down to their competition.
We definitely need to capitalize early. I think we need to go 6-2 to start the season.
Last year the W record of the road teams we played was .570 avg. Those were solid teams overall for playing away from home.
The second half of the season we play the Chargers, Giants, 49rs, Lions, Vikings and Bears on the road. The only 2 teams I’m not confident about is the Chargers and Bears.
I see a 5-3 second half record.

That said. I’d be in favor cutting it back to a 3 week preseason. Modifying it slightly by having a 2 week stretch after game 3 (road game) and leading into the regular season. I think 3 weeks is enough to evaluate players and it would reduce the % of injuries and allow an extra week for injured players to heal up.
Just rotate 2 home games 1 year and then 2 road games the next. I would also try to keep the preseason road game(s) with teams in proximity (neighbor states) to your home state or at least the same time zone at minimum. This flying all over the country or to other countries for a preseason game is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Those moves don't do anywhere near enough to make the offense a greatest show on turf force

The Packers don't need the offense to perform at that level to be successful as long as their defense is improved.

The second half of the season we play the Chargers, Giants, 49rs, Lions, Vikings and Bears on the road. The only 2 teams I’m not confident about is the Chargers and Bears.
I see a 5-3 second half record.

The Packers play the Bears at home in week 15 as they open the season at Soldier Field next week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gbgary,

I really do think it is going to be the opposite. With our #1 O going against our #1 D through much of TC, practicing against each other nearly 100% of the time, running their full play books, as opposed to dumbed down garbage we normally see in preseason games, I think this Packers team will come out for game 1 against CHI very much ready. Both sides of the ball benefit going against each other, and I believe both units are very good.

Totally agree preseason has turned into a mess. More players getting injured as they become bigger and faster, generating more force with the hits, players looking to make their name, secure their spot on a 53, etc.... teams have realized this over the years and have exposed their starters to fewer and fewer preseason games as a result.

Smart play by the HCs to withhold their top players from this fiasco, bad for the league itself. At least they got player safety right as an emphasis, but there is way more work to be done. I mean, we had this ******* from HOU taking Jace Sternberger's head off, TWICE, in a joint practice.

I like how LaFleur has held to his guns and kept most of our starters out of preseason games. I don't want to see a single starter play vs. KC on Thursday. Foolish to take the risk.

I don't think the Packers will look rusty v. CHI. They might look more ready than ever, if you think about how they've protected their starters, and have worked exclusively on their entire play book. Run blocking ought to take a bit of time, just like tackling for the D. That's normal.

Figure, they didn't have to waste time practicing vanilla...
All good points. And most NFL teams give limited snaps to their starters in PS. The first month of real play is always a little sloppy. But I’d rather have that than to lose a starter in a meaningless game.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wasn't too enthused at the lack of prospects this season had to offer so I kinda lacked interest and didn't really want to watch. kind bummed about packs having to regroup because of new coaching and couple of our veterans having to got retirement homes. nonetheless, I am stoked about our first game vs bears. GO PACK GO! For the love of God I hope Rodgers has some bear repellent for that Mack guy!

Members online

Latest posts