Week 6 game 5 Ravens

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Ravens have appeared to right their ship recently but their offense is not exactly in the groove yet. They get the Packers D minus the Claymaker and probably Hayward. Time for Perry and Neil to shine. Luckily the Ravens try to be a run first team this year which plays into our strength.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Plus, Ray rice has not been his normal self this year, Flaco has looked less than good. The only thing that the raven bring to the table that worries me is a damn good pass rush and home field advantage. This will end up being an up hill battle.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well since Goodell hates the Ravens, he'll be on our side and help us win in some way. Thanks T-Sizzle.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, Ray rice has not been his normal self this year, Flaco has looked less than good. The only thing that the raven bring to the table that worries me is a damn good pass rush and home field advantage. This will end up being an up hill battle.

Skinny has never looked good save for last season's playoff run, I LOLed when they paid him so much. Our run defense and stabilized secondary should keep their Offense in check. I think Aaron has a big game against a so so Ravens defensive backfield. Finally I think Perry and Neal will pleasantly surprise many of us with their pass rush and production.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Baltimore team is not the same team from last year. They have had a lot of the same problems as the Packers have. I would expect them to make a conserted effort to get Rice involved right away. They are a much better team when Rice gets a lot of touches. This Ravens team is beatable. Have to play clean to win. Turnovers and penalties get you beat on the road.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Dolphins were a few dropped passes away from a W last week. It'll be close but I think we can squeeze out a win as long as we don't get a case of the fumblies like week three.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be rough but think, if d-line stops the run,Flaco will throw some deep passes will keep safeties hopping,corners should be ready but I like our chances,our o-line should have open holes for Lacy Finn should have a good game A-rod to our w.r cobb Nelson Jones think our d-line will get a couple sacks should get a win.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Flacco got paid solely on the merits of Boldin, Smith, and Pitta. I see a lot of Favre/Bradshaw in him. As long as the Ravens keep feeding him the ball instead of the real star, Rice, the Ravens will be stuck in that identity crisis "why can't we do anything right" phase.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concerns this game are Suggs from one side, and Elvis Dumervil the other side. That's a handful... and into the pocket is Haloti Ngata.... challege again for the OL. Every week.

I just hope we can get on a streak of coming out of games healthy.
I really really hope Neal and Perry can last..... I mean when was the last time Jared Allen was out? Suh?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
My concerns this game are Suggs from one side, and Elvis Dumervil the other side. That's a handful... and into the pocket is Haloti Ngata.... challege again for the OL. Every week.

I just hope we can get on a streak of coming out of games healthy.
I really really hope Neal and Perry can last..... I mean when was the last time Jared Allen was out? Suh?
Last year. Torn shoulder Labrum. Newhouse stonewalled him when he played with it so he may as well have been sitting.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Don't want to get all negative and crappy .... so, I'll just say that this Raven defense is coming along; starting to gel. Frank expressed my concerns more concisely than I could have.

Defensively, with #52 out - it is entirely possible that Capers may come up with a scheme that the Ravens haven't seen before. I believe that when #52 is on the field, the Pack may lay their hopes on his play versus using a little originality ... him being hurt, the defense seems to be more inter-dependent and thus, play better as a unit (?) ... pure speculation on my part. I hate cliches but the Pack's d-line is going head-on with some very VERY large men on the Ravens O-line.

Offensively, coming from me - no big surprise here, I really want to see that new found running game again. ( A Ravens fan would probably say what I'm saying ...) ball and clock control ... keep Flacco and Rice off the field. Don't get me wrong, I like the Pack's quick strike capability BUT I doubt that there will be a whole lot of 'quick strikes' against this Ravens defense. Flacco has been kind of tossing up some 'bunnies', and if the Pack can put the Ravens into catch-up mode, they will have a better shot at beating the Champs.

I am thinking that this game frankly is a toss-up. I think it's going to be a close game. One of those games that drives me absolutely nuts....where the Pack look out of sync offensively (the Ravens have a way of making quick strike offenses look out of sync). Flip side of that coin, I am predicting that the Pack do the same thing to the Ravens. I'm just kind of hoping that the Harbaugh brothers haven't been exchanging notes on how to make the Pack's defense look like a Picasso painting (that isn't a compliment in my book).

Vegas has the at-home Ravens installed as a 1-point favorite - appears "at-home" is carrying a lot of weight in this one.

Listening to Chris Havel this week at 107.5 ... he got me looking at the remaining AWAY schedule because he rightly says that going forward, the Pack are going to need at least 3 away wins ... to hit 10-11 wins, all things being equal. You know, he's right ... going to be tough, so they may as well get started in Baltimore.

12theTruth

@weeds Yep they need this win to sniff 11 victories for the season. I had them as 9-7 and I didn't even foresee this many injuries. If the Packers win this week I think it will be by a shoot out.

In the span of a couple weeks Francois out for the season, Matthews out a month or more, Jones out at least a game, Barrington and Mulamba both dinged up on the injury report this week. Both should play but cmon what is there some kind of hex on our Pack.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure wish it was Suggs who was out with an injury instead of Matthews.

I expect not a shootout.
We handled the Ravens with Ray Rice a few years ago at Lambeau. I remember that little guy spoke negatively about Green Bay.

They have only one worry for me on offense, that's Tori Smith.
I am more worried about protecting Rodgers from Ngata, Suggs, and Dumervil.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vegas Expert Dave Tullys Take:
https://www.facebook.com/dave.tuley

Matchup: Green Bay Packers at Baltimore Ravens
Spread: Packers -3

Public perception: The public is almost always on the Packers, so we expected to see this with the line under a field goal. The public still doesn't think the Ravens are as good as they were on their Super Bowl run last year.

Wiseguys' view: A few offshores opened at 3.5, but those didn't last long. Wiseguys were on the Packers last week even before Calvin Johnson was declared out for the Lions and the line went from Pack minus-7 to minus-10, but they're on the Ravens here. Handicapper Marc Lawrence of playbook.com also uncovers that the Ravens, with an already strong home-field advantage, are 5-0 ATS at home under coach John Harbaugh in games off a SU underdog win, the role they find themselves in Sunday.

Tuley's Take: The Packers also aren't as strong on the road (having already lost to the 49ers and Bengals), and I wasn't as impressed with the Packers' 22-9 win over the injury-ravaged Lions. The Packers' newfound running game faces a tough test in the Ravens' defense, and I think Baltimore makes a statement here that it's back in contention again.

The pick: Ravens.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
weeds that was ‘all negative and crappy’ – shame on you! J/K as I too expect a close game but I thought I’d add some positives for the Packers. There was a good article yesterday on jsonline (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-blocking-schemes-evolve-b99118136z1-227471491.html) about the Packers’ evolving blocking scheme. I recommend it beyond its impact on Sunday's game. The ZBS is still the base, but according to the article, they went away from it more against the Lions than they have previously under McCarthy. That’s good news IMO for three reasons: 1) I hate the ZBS, 2) It makes their running game less predictable, and 3) IMO using plays in which the OL pull matches the skills of the Packers’ OL (OK, that’s only two good reasons but still…). But that alone won’t mean success Sunday because the Ravens are tough vs. the run (the Packers are actually 5th in rushing D while the Ravens are 6th but the Ravens allow 0.3 fewer yards per carry than the Packers’ D and unfortunately, it looks like Ngata will play.

One of the stats that is supposed to have a decent correlation to picking winners is QB rating differential. The good news for the Packers is while Rodgers’ QB rating is 105.5 (good for 5th in the league team standings), the Ravens’ defense is 22nd in opponent’s passer rating at 94.0. I bring this up to make the point that the Ravens’ D weak spot is vs. the pass so again IMO the Packers just have to be good enough running the ball to keep the Ravens’ D honest as they’re averaging almost 4 sacks per game. (BTW, passer rating differential when the Ravens have the ball doesn’t look as good for the Packers. While the Ravens are 28th in league passer rating by team at 70.1, the Packers D is allowing a pitiful passer rating of 107, good for 29th in the league.)
They gave the Ravens the -3 home team advantage. That line literally says 50-50.
No, the line is literally (factually, exactly) what it says. I’m guessing what you’re talking about is home teams start with a home field advantage of 3 points. Of course point spreads are about getting equal money on both sides of a game but If that is what you’re talking about FrankRizzo is correct as a spread of BAL -3 would reflect an “even” game with the Ravens getting the automatic 3 point advantage for being at home. Otherwise BAL -0 would more reflect 50-50 than giving the visiting team a favorite status of 3 points.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's that PredictionMachine thing, and there's a formula my buddy runs.
He simulated this game 100 times this week, and the Packers win 52 of them, Baltimore 48 of them.
Make no mistake about it, this is a great matchup and either team can win.

Depends on the breaks, with bounces and turnovers being one, bad callz be zebras being another. Key in-game injuries can make a difference as well. We learned this in Cinci when Clay went out, and then so did our defensive intensity. And so did our big lead.

I like our team better.
But I vividly remember Dallas going to Baltimore last year and whipping them up and down... but not putting them away.
And then Baltimore pulled it out in the end, got the W, and Dallas got stuck with the L.
That L cost them the playoffs in the end, and helped the Ravens into the playoffs.

We already blew a W against Cinci that will have some long-term ramifications.
We need to get out of Maryland tomorrow with a W, however pretty or ugly it is. Gotta have a W.

Suggs is the key#1.
I'm glad they don't have Ed Reed patrolling back there anymore.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
On the NFL Gameday show this morning Steve Mariucci predicted that Nelson, Cobb, and Jones would each have 100 yards receiving and Lacy would have 100 yards rushing as the Packers crush the Ravens. And you know what that means: When someone like Mariucci makes that kind of prediction!! ... ... ... Ya, that's right it doesn't mean a thing. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
D

Dan115

On the NFL Gameday show this morning Steve Mariucci predicted that Nelson, Cobb, and Jones would each have 100 yards receiving and Lacey would have 100 yards rushing as the Packers crush the Ravens. And you know what that means: When someone like Mariucci makes that kind of prediction!! ... ... ... Ya, that's right it doesn't mean a thing. Just thought I'd mention it.

Mooch, I don't like that from him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts