Week 3 Detroit Game: A Must-Win?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has had the same guys running it and mostly the same guys playing for a while now- hell, they had the entire starting offence under contract for 2 years- and they still need time to get going and figure things out?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This team has had the same guys running it and mostly the same guys playing for a while now- hell, they had the entire starting offence under contract for 2 years- and they still need time to get going and figure things out?

Didn't you get the memo after the Denver game last week?

"This may take some time to figure things out and get our offense back on track". :coffee:

Oh wait......that Denver game was....last year. :rolleyes:

H

HardRightEdge

Packers rule out Morgan Burnett and Clay Matthews for tomorrow's game vs. the Lions. Letroy Guion and Datone Jones downgraded to doubtful.
And Shields is out.

All this agita over the offense, and here we are...a whole mess of defensive "next men up".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the key guys out on both sides, this might look more like a pre season game than week 3 of the regular season.
Not a lot to be taken from this one if they win other than it's a win, and you always take a win.
A loss under these circumstances might start a free for all, and a shark feeding frenzy.

I'd let them play the game before deciding what can or can not be taken from it. I do get what you are saying though. Even if we win big some people will say "big deal we pummeled a second string team" and if we barely scrape by it will be "we could barely beat a second string team"

I think there may be a lot of things to be taken from this game. Does MM commit more to the run like he says he needs to do. Will AR start taking the check downs or keep flinging it deep. Can our young guys fill in for the injured vets? Win or lose we can take lots from the game.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and Lions will each be missing their best defensive players (Clay & Ziggy). Looks like it'll be a good game for the offense to hit it's stride. Andrew Luck had a big game against the Lions in Week 1. Would be nice to see Rodgers have a similar day.

With Datone Jones listed as doubtful, might get a good look at Kyler Fackrell.
Yupp my bold prediction is Fackfell logs his 1st sack 2mrw with the extended snaps he gets vs Detroit. All 4 healthy OLBs will be subbing alot I predict. Positive side is Elliott is healthy this week. Peppers should be pretty fresh with the limited reps through 2 weeks. And Perry has been playing like a beast with no reason why he should stop this week, Perry is playing his way to a 7+ sack season this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

So don't get too high at early success or too low about early struggles.

If the Packers fully healthy offense can't move the ball consistently and put up points against a well below average and depleted Lions defense there would be reason for huge concern.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good home-cooked meal of roast Lion has been a tonic for things that ailed the Green Bay Packers several times in the past of this oldest continuous rivalry in the National Football League.

Just 3 seasons ago the Packers started 2013 with two losses in their first 3 games, allowing over 30 points to be scored against them in both. Detroit came into Lambeau with a 3-1 record but without their star receiver Calvin Johnson due to injury.

The Packers won 22-9 to start a four game winning streak that proved essential to staying in the hunt for the NFC North title; after Aaron Rodgers went down for two months with a fractured collarbone.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201310060gnb.htm

In 2003 the Pack found itself in a similar strait to today's game; coming off a loss to Minnesota at home that soiled the celebrations of the Lambeau Field expansion and renovation in the season opener.

They took it out big on the Lions and went on to rally to win the division title at the finish line.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200309140gnb.htm

In 1984 and '85 the Packers turned gloomy seasons around for at least a respectable finish after whipping the Lions in games at Lambeau Field.

In the fourth game of the '85 season the Packers had started 1-3 and Detroit 3-1 but the Pack exploded for over 500 yards of offense in a 33 point victory that started them toward an 8-8 finish.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198510060gnb.htm

The year before the Packers' start was even worse. At midseason they were 1-7, although they had been competitive in nearly all their games. They spun their season around on the Lions with a laugher victory and went 7-1 in the second half of the schedule.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198410280gnb.htm

A home win over the Lions in 1976 produced a brief flicker of light for Packers' fans in Bart Starr's second season as head coach. Starting the year 0-3 and scoring a total of just 21 points in those 3 games the Packers took down Detroit by 10 and went on a 3 game win streak and four of five following to make fans think Starr might have something going. Perhaps most impressive during that 5 game span was a 4 point loss on the road to eventual Super Bowl Champion Oakland.

At midpoint it gave the Packers a .500 record, encouraging for the time. But it fizzled out when newly acquired qb Lynn ****ey was injured and lost for the rest of the season and the team finished only 5-9.

http://www.packershistory.net/1976PACKERS/GAME4.html

In the third to last game of 1972 the Packers were locked in a tight race with Detroit and Minnesota for the NFC Central title. They had just lost to Washington the week before, though, and it was questionable whether they could prevail down the stretch against the two perenniel division front-runners.

They had lost earlier in the season to the Vikings and edged past the Lions by just a point. But Detroit had been dominating the rivalry for most of the previous 5 years. Fresh in memory was the Lions' 40-0 humiliation of the Pack in the 1970 season opener at Lambeau.

This time the Pack would dominate and go on the following week to clinch the division title in Minnesota.

http://www.packershistory.net/1972PACKERS/GAME12.html

In the 1950's Detroit was a perenniel conference and league champion while the Packers were a perenniel loser. So defeating the Lions anytime was a big deal in Green Bay football.

The Packers stunned the Lions in the opening game of the 1955 season at Green Bay to start one of the only two non-losing seasons they would have in the 11 years preceding the arrival of Vince Lombardi.

http://www.packershistory.net/1955PACKERS/GAME1.html

Last edited:

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, this is a must-win. This is a great opportunity for #12 and company to put to rest the questions about the offense. Without Matthews, Shields, and all, the defense cannot be expected to carry the load this week. It's suck-it-up time for the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is a great opportunity for #12 and company to put to rest the questions about the offense.

Once again, the offense performing on a high level against a below average defense missing several key starters shouldn't put to rest the concerns about the unit's ability to score points and move the ball consistently against elite opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Wooldridge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Rodgers again plays terrible, and the play calling is again terrible, then it's time to P-A-N-I-C! (get it...the Aaron Rodgers RELAX) Because then not only will they be 0-2 in the division, but a bad tone to start this home stand. Secondary has to play better than they did in Minn. Stafford will pick them apart if they don't play better in the secondary.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Once again, the offense performing on a high level against a below average defense missing several key starters should put to rest the concerns about the unit's ability to score points and move the ball consistently against elite opponents.

Guessing you didn't mean "should" and meant something like "still won't" ? I'm basing that assumption off of things you have previously posted as well as my feelings as well. While a good offensive performance today would be a welcome thing and a step forward, I don't think it would prove the offense is now fully operational and ready to roll consistently every week, especially once it has to face an elite defense again, because this Detroit Defense will be far from that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Guessing you didn't mean "should" and meant something like "still won't" ? I'm basing that assumption off of things you have previously posted as well as my feelings as well.

Yeah, of course. It seems like I'm missing on the meaning of a lot of posts recently. Nearly as many as Rodgers does throws to open receivers. ;)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the hell are all these guys out. Shields and Guion I understand but as far as the other 3. This is organizational arrogance that they can win without them and get the extra week off with the bye and have them be 100 percent and not 90 percent.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will believe it when I see it. Why isn't 84 getting more snaps? He seems to do everything asked of him and produces when given the opportunity.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will believe it when I see it. Why isn't 84 getting more snaps? He seems to do everything asked of him and produces when given the opportunity.

It seems that the coaches want to get more speed on the field. Abbrederis doesn't offer that compared to Nelson, Cobb and Adams.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that the coaches want to get more speed on the field. Abbrederis doesn't offer that compared to Nelson, Cobb and Adams.
well crap....that tells me they just want guys to win these 1 on 1 isolation routes so the quick answer is to have more speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers inactives:

Morgan Burnett
Joe Callahan
Letroy Guion
Datone Jones
Clay Matthews
Kyle Murphy
Sam Shields

D

Deleted member 6794

Lions inactives:

DE Ziggy Ansah
LB DeAndre Levy
LB Antwoine Williams
CB Adairius Barnes
OL Joe Dahl
T Cornelius Lucas
TE Orson Charles

D

Deleted member 6794

Quinten Rollins will start for Shields, Micah Hyde for Burnett, Julius Peppers for Matthews, Kenny Clark for Guion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no ansah or Levy? If we can't get an offense going today, well, we have more work to do than i thought.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This hurry up offense needs to end. IT IS NOT WORKING! It is the same 3 receivers every play. I just don't understand why you would keep doing this over and over when its not working. Mix it up a little, 4 or 5 wr sets Ripkowski lead blocking for Lacy. GEEEZZEEE!! This is not rocket science. Defenses are on to the same stale plays every game.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This hurry up offense needs to end. IT IS NOT WORKING! It is the same 3 receivers every play. I just don't understand why you would keep doing this over and over when its not working. Mix it up a little, 4 or 5 wr sets Ripkowski lead blocking for Lacy. GEEEZZEEE!! This is not rocket science. Defenses are on to the same stale plays every game.
Calm down, turbo. Reports from Green Bay this morning says you will get your wish.

Members online

Latest posts