Week 2 - Detroit Here

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so-so passing game today with all the drops and overthrows but came through when it had to. dominating running game. the D was terrible early but got better as the game went along. both sides of the ball were opportunistic. nice to have blowout game. dayum good game!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With none or few fans in the stands, it will be interesting to see if Home wins are down this season. I think the league average over the years is something like 55-60% of the home teams win. Last week it was an even split of the 16 games, with 8 road winners.

Lets put one up in the W column for the home team this week.

Packers offense keeps rolling: Pack 42 - Lions 28
Good call!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling our D abysmal is a little harsh. Not having Clark in the middle hurts.

That post was made back in the first quarter when it was bad. Thankfully, it tightened up and finished good which was most important.

I know people say the Lions are bad blah blah blah .... But today's game was the largest margin of victory we had against them in more than 10 years. And now Rodgers finally has the support he needs from the run game.

D

Deleted member 6794

But do Packer fans really expect him to be active while both Rodgers and Boyle are healthy? As we saw last week, having an extra OL active is much more important than a rookie #3 QB.

I agree there's no reason to have three quarterbacks active on game day. With that being said it's disappointing that Love hasn't been able to win the backup job instead of Boyle.

so-so passing game today with all the drops and overthrows but came through when it had to.

The Packers put up more than 40 points in consecutive games for the first time since 2014. Yet you find something to complain about with Rodgers :rolleyes:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree there's no reason to have three quarterbacks active on game day. With that being said it's disappointing that Love hasn't been able to win the backup job instead of Boyle.

The Packers put up more than 40 points in consecutive games for the first time since 2014. Yet you find something to complain about with Rodgers :rolleyes:
To me, it says more about Boyle. We had heard that he was the sharpest looking QB in camp. Also heard he had made significant strides in his development. Kind of reminds me of Matt Flynn’s trajectory. We won’t know for sure unless we need him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not disappointing to me. I expect and want him to be the 3rd QB. I would like him to sit for a couple years. Then be the 2nd string. And still hope Rodgers plays like a hall of famer. No rush.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, some people will never change. But to be fair, I think for so long we've had a team that was built around a successful passing game that having a run game or RB that could take over games and be just as deadly is just something we've not fully appreciated or really even seen much of since way back in the days of Ahman Green. I always knew we had a good one in Aaron Jones, but yesterday was something else. Defenses now have to respect the Packer run game which gives us real good play action elements in the passing game

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i critiqued the game. did i say something that was untrue? it wasn't complaining. so far this season the offense looks and runs completely different from last year. it's been great. very little spread, lots of motion (which rodgers was against last year btw), more under center work, passes come out quick (only one sack), very few throw-aways, and there's a little more use of the middle of the field. rodgers was great game one and a little less so yesterday...which is fine. all games are different. the WR's were great game one...and less so yesterday. the running game was ok the first game but great yesterday. be efficient. move the chains and eat up the clock. this first year in the new offense has been fantastic ;).

D

Deleted member 6794

To me, it says more about Boyle. We had heard that he was the sharpest looking QB in camp. Also heard he had made significant strides in his development. Kind of reminds me of Matt Flynn’s trajectory. We won’t know for sure unless we need him.

It would be great if Boyle develops into a decent backup quarterback. With Love being touted as a future franchise QB it's disappointing he wasn't able to move past him on the depth chart at this point though.

Not disappointing to me. I expect and want him to be the 3rd QB. I would like him to sit for a couple years. Then be the 2nd string. And still hope Rodgers plays like a hall of famer. No rush.

That would be a reasonable approach for a quarterback selected on day three of the draft. It doesn't make sense after trading up in the first round to select Love though.

very little spread, lots of motion (which rodgers was against last year btw), more under center work, passes come out quick (only one sack), very few throw-aways, and there's a little more use of the middle of the field.

I guess that Rodgers being against using a lot of motion last year only exists in your mind once again and isn't based on any facts.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It would be great if Boyle develops into a decent backup quarterback. With Love being touted as a future franchise QB it's disappointing he wasn't able to move past him on the depth chart at this point though.

Given the short camp, no preseason games and all the other distractions that COVID has created since the draft, Love not passing Boyle on the depth chart really shouldn't surprise anyone. Let's hope that we are back to "normal" next summer and see where he is to start the 2021 season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Given the short camp, no preseason games and all the other distractions that COVID has created since the draft, Love not passing Boyle on the depth chart really shouldn't surprise anyone. Let's hope that we are back to "normal" next summer and see where he is to start the 2021 season.

we all know Rodgers wouldn’t have been a starter year one

to expect a 1st rd qb in this seasons to be a starter is hard

San Diego oops LA chargers Qb I think is outlier

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They've played 2 decent quarters out of 8.

The offense is carrying this team on its back.
I disagree
I think they played good for at least 4 quarters

worse are 1st of lions and 4th of Vikings ...6 q they gave up 17 points.. 2.8 a q average

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree
I think they played good for at least 4 quarters

worse are 1st of lions and 4th of Vikings ...6 q they gave up 17 points.. 2.8 a q average

Exactly and one of the awful quarters was when they were up big in a 4th quarter. Not an excuse to be bad but when 6 quarters are that good and another quarter is in a game you were up 3 scores every time they scored you are doing alright.

Heck in their 6 quarters that have been really good they have also scored 9 points. So they have only given up 8 net points

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things usually look better when you take out the bad parts. ;)

Let's pray the offense continues to put up points and never turn the ball over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

That would be a reasonable approach for a quarterback selected on day three of the draft. It doesn't make sense after trading up in the first round to select Love though.

I guess that Rodgers being against using a lot of motion last year only exists in your mind once again and isn't based on any facts.
Rodgers hated motion and he admits it

last year he admits they didn’t use it.. one could conclude he was against it last year

this year he is fine with it

H

HardRightEdge

I agree there's no reason to have three quarterbacks active on game day.
Lovett was a QB for Princeton and a two-time Bushnell Cup winner for being the best offensive player in the Ivy League. So we've had that going for us if push came to shove. ;) Maybe they'll move him up to the 53 man roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers hated motion and he admits it

last year he admits they didn’t use it.. one could conclude he was against it last year

this year he is fine with it
I don't think you are quoting Rodgers correctly or recalling correctly what actually happend last year. They used a fair amout of motion, jet sweeps and fake jets last season. The video I saw was Rodgers contrasting McCarthy's and his preference for line up and go, not contrasting this year with last. For example, at least two of Rodgers TD passes last year were on jet sweep flips.

To digress, the flip rather than handoff is in vogue around the league. In thinking about that, one reason among others would be that a bungled handoff is a fumble while a bungled flip is an incomplete pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you are quoting Rodgers correctly or recalling correctly what actually happend last year. They used a fair amout of motion, jet sweeps and fake jets last season. The video I saw was Rodgers contrasting McCarthy's and his preference for line up and go, not contrasting this year with last. For example, at least two of Rodgers TD passes last year were on jet sweep flips.

To digress, the flip rather than handoff is in vogue around the league. In thinking about that, one reason among others would be that a bungled handoff is a fumble while a bungled flip is an incomplete pass.
I’m just assuming since he didn’t like it with mm, the 1st year with Matt it would be hard to adjust.

i mis typed..

I didn’t mean they didn’t use it with Matt.. meant his years with mm

I used this to look at his quotes
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.packersnews.com/amp/5819010002

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I’m just assuming since he didn’t like it with mm the 1st year with Matt it would be hard to adjust.i mis typed.. didn’t mean they didn’t use it with Matt.. meant his years with mm

I used this to look at his quotes
Rather than thinking about some Rodgers belligerence in 2019, a popular theme in these pages and among the chattering class, think instead about what is said in rest of that piece--a complicated system and set of calls that everybody has had to learn and adapt to.

D

Deleted member 6794

Given the short camp, no preseason games and all the other distractions that COVID has created since the draft, Love not passing Boyle on the depth chart really shouldn't surprise anyone.

I think it's just a lame excuse for Love not living up to expectations in camp.

Herbert played a very good game on short notice on Sunday but there are many Packers making excuses for their first round pick not even being able to move past a former undrafted free agent who has thrown a total of four career passes on the depth chart.

In addition there's at least one poster around here wanting the team to start him and move on from Rodgers before the start of next league year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who knows what it means, maybe if Love was drafted to a team with 2 other QB's who have never really played a down for that team either he would have had equal footing in camp and found himself the number 2 and if someone got injured went in and ran around and made some plays for a game. I have no idea why he's #3, we didn't get to see ANYTHING, hard to have an opinion.

It isn't a stretch though when you're drafted to a team behind Rodgers and a back up with a couple seasons of experience in the NFL is going to be ahead of a guy that hasn't had any, and isn't going to get much in such an abbreviated season in which they primary focus was to get the team up to speed to go from zero to 100mph in a couple week period and no preseason. Word was Boyle was lighting camp up and was very crisp and efficient. Maybe he was, didn't get to see anything.

But it's hardly surprising that a QB drafted to a team that wasn't in desperate need of a QB and with the odd TC and no preseason, he's not at the top of the depth chart. It's not an excuse, it's reality. If his competition was Tyrod Taylor and Easton someone, maybe he finds himself in a different position?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts