Week 2 - Detroit Here

D

Deleted member 6794

But it's hardly surprising that a QB drafted to a team that wasn't in desperate need of a QB and with the odd TC and no preseason, he's not at the top of the depth chart. It's not an excuse, it's reality. If his competition was Tyrod Taylor and Easton someone, maybe he finds himself in a different position?

I don't consider Boyle to be a better quarterback than Easton Stick.

My point being that with the team coming off a season in which they made it to the NFCCG there was absolutely no reason to trade up in the first round to select a quarterback who won't even be active on game day for whatever reason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t see a need to take QB in round 1. I also haven’t seen anything to make me think he’s a good pick or poor one. I don’t expect to know for 3 years. And if he does turn out to be a good NFL QB, it’s a good pick even if it’s not immediate benefits to our team. QB is probably the most difficult position to fill adequately and if you get a good one I don’t care when.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn’t see a need to take QB in round 1. I also haven’t seen anything to make me think he’s a good pick or poor one. I don’t expect to know for 3 years.

I primarily don't like the Packers selecting Love because once again they ignored current needs but instead decided to make a move that might pay some years down. In general that's a decent strategy, especially with Gutekunst using free agency to address weaknesses on the roster, but coming of a season in which the team made it to the NFCCG and Rodgers getting up there in age it would have been much smarter to improve their chances of winning another Super Bowl with him by selecting prospects that have the potential to help immediately.

And if he does turn out to be a good NFL QB, it’s a good pick even if it’s not immediate benefits to our team. QB is probably the most difficult position to fill adequately and if you get a good one I don’t care when.

True, but I don't like the chances of Love developing into a decent NFL quarterback.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it's just a lame excuse for Love not living up to expectations in camp.

I guess it depends on what your expectations of him were. Do you fee the same about Dillon, who is behind both Jones and Williams on the depth chart? Gary last year being behind the Smith Brothers? Of all the positions to criticize a rookie for being 3rd on the depth chart, especially behind a FHOF'er and a 3rd year guy, QB shouldn't be one of them.

Let's hope nothing happens to Rodgers, but if something does, especially mid-game, the smart move is to bring in a QB that has been in the system a few years and if he can't produce, then try the rookie.

I think if everyone stays healthy and 2021 is a "normal year", with normal training camps and preseason games, if Love is still the #3 QB in his 2nd year, then I think you have more of an argument.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we all know Rodgers wouldn’t have been a starter year one

to expect a 1st rd qb in this seasons to be a starter is hard

San Diego oops LA chargers Qb I think is outlier

Well, I mean it can happen like with Andrew Luck, but I agree it doesn't always.

I too am typically against having 3 QBs on the active roster, but with no preseason, I feel like it's harder to grade backup QB competition.

Not a fan of a QB 1st round pick either, but we made our bed in it, so this is probably by far the best way to make him the apprentice QB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I mean it can happen like with Andrew Luck, but I agree it doesn't always.

I too am typically against having 3 QBs on the active roster, but with no preseason, I feel like it's harder to grade backup QB competition.

Not a fan of a QB 1st round pick either, but we made our bed in it, so this is probably by far the best way to make him the apprentice QB.
Andrew Luck was considered a generational
talent. Very few of those come along. Elway, Manning, Luck ...... can’t think of any others at the QB position.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see winning points on both sides of the argument here.

I mean, on the one hand Love was drafted 1st round and came from a higher level of NCAA football than Boyle, so Captain does have a point on that. And I don't know, maybe he hasn't met expectations from the coaches. But that is simply speculation.

Take the Miami Dolphins. Tua Tagaviloa didn't come running out the gate as starter these first few weeks, though he probably will be in soon. I just highly doubt Stephen Ross is already thinking "ohh man, this Tua guy ohh he's failing expectations not getting to start over old FitzSantaclaus. What were we thinking drafting him in the first round?"

Obviously Fitzpatrick is not the future down there, and I'm certain Tua is a better QB. Well, we'll find out anyway. But obviously the coaches felt it made more sense to go with the veteran who knew the offense better and give their rookie more time to get it under his belt.

Tim Boyle may not be as good as Fitzpatrick, though it's hard to say at this point in that old geezer's career. But considering we let two veterans in Kumerow and GMo go, I find it hard to believe the coaches would keep Boyle around if they didn't feel he had value as a backup. We're likely to invest at least a few years in Love unless we end up somehow with a Josh Rosen type situation which I doubt. So that would mean to me that if we were going to keep only two QBs on the roster in near future, number 2 would be Love.

But this offseason was not a regular offseason, especially with limited training camp and no preseason. Even if Boyle was not better than Love, I'd still be more comfortable rolling with him first, and then if he was a stinko like Hundley, then put in Love. But hopefully neither of them have to take the field unless we're up by 35 or something.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess it depends on what your expectations of him were. Do you fee the same about Dillon, who is behind both Jones and Williams on the depth chart? Gary last year being behind the Smith Brothers? Of all the positions to criticize a rookie for being 3rd on the depth chart, especially behind a FHOF'er and a 3rd year guy, QB shouldn't be one of them.

Love not being able to move past Boyle on the depth chart is disappointing but not the main point I'm trying to make. Actually it bothers me most that the Packers used their first rounder on a prospect that wasn't expected to help improve the team's chances of winning a Super Bowl this season in the first place. On top of that using the second rounder on another one makes things worse.

Love might turn out to be a great, good or decent quarterback or end up as a bust but in my opinion he wasn't a talent impossible to pass on in the first round.

It's true I had the same issue with selecting Gary at #12 last year.

i guess you didn't see rodgers actually say it during one of his media availabilities.

No, I didn't. Can you provide a link this time???

Take the Miami Dolphins. Tua Tagaviloa didn't come running out the gate as starter these first few weeks, though he probably will be in soon. I just highly doubt Stephen Ross is already thinking "ohh man, this Tua guy ohh he's failing expectations not getting to start over old FitzSantaclaus. What were we thinking drafting him in the first round?"

Obviously Fitzpatrick is not the future down there, and I'm certain Tua is a better QB. Well, we'll find out anyway. But obviously the coaches felt it made more sense to go with the veteran who knew the offense better and give their rookie more time to get it under his belt.

First of all Tagovailoa suffered a broken hip last season that at some point was considered potentially career ending. On top of that he's the backup behind a veteran starter and not being inactive behind an undrafted free agent who has thrown a total of four career passes.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I see winning points on both sides of the argument here.

I mean, on the one hand Love was drafted 1st round and came from a higher level of NCAA football than Boyle, so Captain does have a point on that. And I don't know, maybe he hasn't met expectations from the coaches. But that is simply speculation.

Tim Boyle may not be as good as Fitzpatrick, though it's hard to say at this point in that old geezer's career. But considering we let two veterans in Kumerow and GMo go, I find it hard to believe the coaches would keep Boyle around if they didn't feel he had value as a backup. We're likely to invest at least a few years in Love unless we end up somehow with a Josh Rosen type situation which I doubt. So that would mean to me that if we were going to keep only two QBs on the roster in near future, number 2 would be Love.

But this offseason was not a regular offseason, especially with limited training camp and no preseason. Even if Boyle was not better than Love, I'd still be more comfortable rolling with him first, and then if he was a stinko like Hundley, then put in Love. But hopefully neither of them have to take the field unless we're up by 35 or something.
I personally don’t see a problem with keeping 3 QB’s on the roster because of the expanded game day and practice squad rosters and the fact that the staff has made it a point to have quite a few guys on this roster that are versatile enough to play multiple positions within their schemes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Actually it bothers me most that the Packers used their first rounder on a prospect that wasn't expected to help improve the team's chances of winning a Super Bowl this season in the first place.

While I agree with you and on draft day I too was completely dumbfounded at the selection of a QB, once I read more and thought about it, the pick made more sense. We all want the Packers to draft high impact players, but in reality, how many late first rounders end up being a high impact player, especially their rookie year? I guess we will have our answers at the end of the season and see who the Packers missed out on, but having to keep in mind that "player X with the Ravens" might not of had the same season had the Packers selected him. More importantly, we probably won't have our full answer on Jordan Love for several years and he will end up being either a really smart pick or just another NFL first round bust.

So again, I understand your disappointment with Love being drafted, but I think you are doubling down on that disappointment (unfairly) by being upset about his current standing in the Packer roster. If he ends up being as good as the Packers think he might be, I could care less if they have him sweeping out the locker room for the next few years.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i guess you didn't see rodgers actually say it during one of his media availabilities.

What I came away with on his quotes was this.

He said he never liked motion when MM was here and MM didn’t either ..

Being the 1st year under Matt, 1 could make the assumption that last year he was not truly on board with motions.

Again, he didn’t say it..That’s the key.

But I can see how someone can take that leap

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don’t see what the alternatives would be either he was totally resistant or he was totally compliant.

Most likely there was and is a give and take, as there is with any relationship between an offensive coach and established quarterback.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t see what the alternatives would be either he was totally resistant or he was totally compliant.

Most likely there was and is a give and take, as there is with any relationship between an offensive coach and established quarterback.
I think he could have been hesitant 1st few games but then started to see some benefits?

I know there have been times in my life where I didn’t want to do something a certain way but was told I had to. It did led to not giving 100 percent that way.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think he could have been hesitant 1st few games but then started to see some benefits?

I know there have been times in my life where I didn’t want to do something a certain way but was told I had to. It did led to not giving 100 percent that way.

That would seem normal. However, it’s not scandalous. So I’m not buying it.

Members online

Latest posts