We didn’t get Mack but....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need a pass rusher...in fact, I KNOW we need another pass rusher. Did Nick Perry even play yesterday? I didn’t hear his name one time. Clay Matthews made like two plays but had zero sacks. Yes, we are excited about our young corners but they still need help from the rush. I think Alexander, King, and Jackson are all 5-6 int a year guys because they all seem to have very good ball skills...Tramon may not be fleet of foot anymore but he can catch the ball as well.

I think Gute should make a move before the deadline....maybe we gonafter a guy like Jadeveon Cloney? He’s in the last year of his contract and he’s still fairly young . He can be a difference maker immediately on the defense and can line up at OLB or DE. Maybe Houston will take a second rd pick for him. Packers will have the cap to extend him with Clay Matthews or HAHA most likely gone after the season.

The 2nd option is Ezekiel Ansah. I know he’s from a division rival but the guy looks like he’s checked out in Detroit, and their fans on their message boards seem to be ready for him to go as well. A fresh start for a contender may light a fire to make him a very good player like he was. Also still fairly young he’s another guy I think can be an effective rusher from the outside as a OLB or DE.

My dream scenario would be a first round pick for JJ Watt, who also looks like he’s ready to move on from Houston and to a contender. His health issues are well known ..but the guy is still a very capable of improving the defense and pass rush from day one and getting 8-10 sacks a yr.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Perry has been pretty invisible, however the interior DL was all over Cousins yesterday.

Also, pressure forced an INT that won the Packers the game. However the refs decided that he wanted the Minnesota hype train to keep rolling.

I agree though. They need more on the edge.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodell being hopeful... where am i? how did i get here? :roflmao: bookmarking the **** out of this in case i found another dimension's internet.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not? This isn’t Ted Thompson’s team anymore. Keep hope alive
And this isn't the Dom's defensive scheme anymore. From what has been posted here over the summer, Pettine's defense goes inside out so the edge rushers primary concern is contain and squeeze. He places more stress on the ILB getting the QB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interesting name:

Jerry Hughes, Bills.

Played for Pettine in 2013 and matched a career high with 10 sacks. Now 30, but still a decent pass rusher.

The trick is his salary. He carries a 10.4M cap hit this year and next. Most of it can be gotten out of next season if he flops but they’d have to move some things around to make it work this season.

However, his contract would likely make him cheap in terms of compensation to the Bills.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm usually pretty uninterested in the sorts of additions we tend to see proposed on here, but honestly, I'll take any edge guy with a half-recognizable name right now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another name to monitor— Markus Golden.

He was awesome in 2016 as a stand up rusher in their 3-4.

He missed all of last season on IR. He’s close to coming back.

I don’t think he fits as a 4-3 DE. I could be wrong about that.

He’s young and on a rookie deal.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys TBH I knew it was a Longshot but seeing Mack play these last two games just maybe that could of set a precedent for our defense for years to come.. I'm just observing the situation.

H

HardRightEdge

Interesting name:

Jerry Hughes, Bills.

Played for Pettine in 2013 and matched a career high with 10 sacks. Now 30, but still a decent pass rusher.

The trick is his salary. He carries a 10.4M cap hit this year and next. Most of it can be gotten out of next season if he flops but they’d have to move some things around to make it work this season.

However, his contract would likely make him cheap in terms of compensation to the Bills.
In a trade, the Bills are on the hook for Hughes $2.9 mil in signing bonus proration for 2018, the $1 mil in roster bonus for 2018, the $150,000 workout bonus for 2018 and the $2.9 mil in signing bonus proration for 2019. At this juncture, his cap cost for 2018 for a team trading for him would be 15/17 of $6.35 mil and there would be no dead cap if he was released after the season.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its going to take a half dozen good games like the last two, to get this secondary up to speed.... Up to the speed of dominating the secondary that is...
I like what I'm hearing about the d line...
Perry Martinez Mathews..... Im solid on them....

But I'm telling you. When that young secondary peaks. This defense will be dominant.

How it kings groin? Anyone know?

H

HardRightEdge

And this isn't the Dom's defensive scheme anymore. From what has been posted here over the summer, Pettine's defense goes inside out so the edge rushers primary concern is contain and squeeze. He places more stress on the ILB getting the QB.
Capers emphasized OLBs maintaining pocket contain. That's not what differentiates the schemes. What's different is Pettine uses more disguises in his blitz packages. He show blitz with two guys who bail out into zone coverage where any off the ball player could bring the blitz.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys TBH I knew it was a Longshot but seeing Mack play these last two games just maybe that could of set a precedent for our defense for years to come.. I'm just observing the situation.

I don't think anyone doubts that Mack would have been a huge addition to our defense. It would have been very expensive though in more than just money. Would it have been worth it? We will never know.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we need a pass rusher...in fact, I KNOW we need another pass rusher. Did Nick Perry even play yesterday? I didn’t hear his name one time. Clay Matthews made like two plays but had zero sacks. Yes, we are excited about our young corners but they still need help from the rush. I think Alexander, King, and Jackson are all 5-6 int a year guys because they all seem to have very good ball skills...Tramon may not be fleet of foot anymore but he can catch the ball as well.

I think Gute should make a move before the deadline....maybe we gonafter a guy like Jadeveon Cloney? He’s in the last year of his contract and he’s still fairly young . He can be a difference maker immediately on the defense and can line up at OLB or DE. Maybe Houston will take a second rd pick for him. Packers will have the cap to extend him with Clay Matthews or HAHA most likely gone after the season.

The 2nd option is Ezekiel Ansah. I know he’s from a division rival but the guy looks like he’s checked out in Detroit, and their fans on their message boards seem to be ready for him to go as well. A fresh start for a contender may light a fire to make him a very good player like he was. Also still fairly young he’s another guy I think can be an effective rusher from the outside as a OLB or DE.

My dream scenario would be a first round pick for JJ Watt, who also looks like he’s ready to move on from Houston and to a contender. His health issues are well known ..but the guy is still a very capable of improving the defense and pass rush from day one and getting 8-10 sacks a yr.

I highly doubt their respective teams are interested in trading Watt, Clowney or Ansah. In addition the Packers currently don't have the cap space to acquire any of the players you mentioned.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt their respective teams are interested in trading Watt, Clowney or Ansah. In addition the Packers currently don't have the cap space to acquire any of the players you mentioned.

Matthews to Houston for Clowney....there’s your cap space .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts