We are who we thought we was!! (and other thoughts..

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so are the bears for that matter. but can't worry bout them anymore, gotta worry about ourselves.

1. Bad special teams (coverage)
2. Undisciplined (penalties)

I see two ways to fix this.

1. Fire Slocum. Honestly, what has he done but cash a paycheck. Trying something new isn't gonna affect special teams, a transition to a different coach wouldn't be difficult..

2. Lets see what Bulaga has. Throw him in at RT, it will only help him improve.. I mean what is it going to hurt?? When is a good time for you to try it, MM?

Cause obviously we're not any better in those areas than we were last year. and problems are not going to just fix themselves.

Can't wait til Harris gets back. Shields is too new right now. But at least he is getting good experience.

Burnett did okay.. he got jipped on a Cutler popup (reminiscent of Brent), when I thought it was borderline (no homer), it looked like he was playing the ball and made incidental contact.. oh well.

TT needs to get us a RB. Somehow, someway.. we are not winning any Superbowl this year without a capable RB.

Hawk.. I saw his number a lot, but rarely did I see him near the ball carrier. I am confused why he was in the game so much, Bears weren't running too much, I would've liked to see the personnel packages Capers used against Philly more.

POSITIVESSSSSSSSS

Rodgers is ELITE. Make no mistake. One of his best games. Dude clearly was off in the first 6 quarters of the season, but has pulled it together and grooving.

Clay Matthews. He played well even though he didn't get a sack. Lots of sure tackles, pressures, etc..

D Line. They were good in the first half, it seemed like Cutler had a little more time in the 2nd half. But still did a good job I think.

Blah that is all. Chime in please. what is everyone's thoughts?

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't we been one of the worst teams in penalties for the last few years? I have almost no faith in that being fixed :sFun_DeadHorse:

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea we've been bad for a while, but it doesn't shoot us in the foot as badly as it did against the bears monday night

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For starters, give the Bares some credit. That's a tough D and their offense is going to kill the Queens.

We have one hell of an offense and defense too. ST needs some leadership and we still need a punter.

Can the Packers play worse than they did last night? Don't think so. And we should have won. I expect us to be tied with the Bares after next week.

Then on to 15-1.

The only guys who worry me are the weak, wannabe, crybaby "fans". They make for very bad karma.

njpackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and feel MM should be less passive and more aggressive to the team during review. I'm no coach but I would point out in front of everyone the penalties and that you can't win the SB with these mistakes. (YELLING) Thats just my emotion coming out. It doesn't seem that MM has this but I wouldn't know. I would then put those big mits on anyones hands with a holding call and make them eat, sleep, crap, and practice with them on. Have them find other ways to do things without using their hands, both O and D.
If they ask why or that it's crazy, I would then ask them, how bad do they want to win.

Just a rant.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have nothing but love for MM. I think he is an underrated coach. Yet whatever they are doing to correct the penalties is not working as planned. A few of the pre-snap penalties I can understand, especially when backed up at the 1 yard line in Soldier Field. It would be no different for the Bears in Lambeau. Yet what I can't handle is the holding calls. Peppers was kicking *** last night. While he may not have blown up the stat sheet, he was the reason the OL had so many holding calls. Sure a couple of them were iffy but either way its not good. I know Tauscher and Clifton aren't spring chickens but their conditioning looked horrible. I don't know why MM didn't chip or use a TE to help on Peppers. Bottom line for the Offensive Penalties- GB had at least 7 points taken off the scoreboard because of penalties. (And it was to Finley which would've helped my fantasy team a lot! LoL)The defensive calls really pissed me off though. Matthews was held 3 times that I saw for sure and they called one hold. The roughing the passer call on Zombo was legit, I have no beef with it. I also wasn't mad with Zombo other than the secondary decided to intercept the pass on that play. Zombo was playing hard and trying to do whatever he could to help and made a rookie mistake. It happens. It didn't look like an intentional vicious type hit to me. The worst part in my mind was how every time the Packer secondary tried to make a play, they were flagged for pass interference. A one or two of them were definite flags, yet one or two others were very iffy. The play with Burnett was the worst, in the replay you can clearly see that his head is turned toward the ball which makes him an elligble reciever with the same right to the ball as the offensive player. Yeah there was a lot of contact, but he wasn't blatantly trying to throw the receiver to the ground, he was looking back to the ball and trying to make a play. I think Burnett played very well for the most part. Bottom line for Defensive Penalties- 4 drives extended with 5 first downs, negating 3 interceptions, and 4 of them coming on 3rd and long. The penalties gave the Bears at least 10 points.Other than the big punt return; which wasn't covered that badly, just some bad tackling and Devin Hester, and 3 or 4 big (12-20 yard) pass plays, the Bears had NOTHING going. I am convinced that if the Packers had 1 or 2 less holding calls and 1 or 2 less pass interference calls, the score could have easily been 27/28-14 for the Pack.This wasn't the Bears beating the Pack at all. It was the Pack beating the Pack.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Haven't we been one of the worst teams in penalties for the last few years? I have almost no faith in that being fixed :sFun_DeadHorse:

I think that reputation clouded the referee's objectivity some last night too. The Bores offensive lineman grabbed Matthews by the helmet, pulled him to the ground, then laid on top of him and wasn't called for holding. Jennings got mugged and it wasn't called for interference. Rodgers threw the ball legally out of bounds on that last drive and got called for grounding. There were a lot of double standards for the refs last night, but that's home field advantage. Every time a ref made a call against the Packers, the stands erupted like they had won the Super Bowl. What ref wouldn't want to hear those accolades? Add to all that the fact that Hurlacher, Hester Prim and Johnny Knoxville will crying in the refs ears all night and you'll have a lot of penalties.

The Bores couldn't beat the Lions without help from the Zebras and they needed their help to beat the Pack. :sigh:

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Same response in every Packer hating thread:
The Packers will be just fine... I think the RB situation will be revisited... TT needs to bring someone in... I love B Jack and Kuhn but they arent going to get it done!!!! O Line looked good... Rodgers is not getting sacked but they need to chill on the holding calls... Special Teams had some miscues that they will correct... The Division is ours... The Bears aint ****... They will fold just like the 6-0 Broncos did... All of the Packer Faithful needs to keep their heads up... The season isnt over!!!!

ryanbodman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what our coach up here in Winnipeg does to players who take dumb penalties?
In the team meeting the day after the game, he makes them stand in front of the team, explain what he did and why he did it.
Seriously, from game 1 of the season in June, through week 12 this past weekend, the penalties we take are getting fewer and farther between. Less drive killing holding penalties, and less unnecessary roughness calls.
Maybe MM should try that with a few of our players.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gives them tape and film to correct it. And there were some holds on the Hester return, but that doesn't matter. Overall GB played like crap but I think they will be fine. Bears will implode somewhere along the line, they aren't that great I just think ravalry game and Packers beat themselves in long run. Good thing it is only week 3, let's wait another few weeks to see where we are at before panicking.

ryanbodman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the penalties, how did we play like crap?
Rodgers was a force, our LB's were all over Cutler all night, and our Defence, I feel, played a good game.
I don't know how anyone can say we played like crap, when it was so obvious we lost because of our penalties.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Besides the penalties, how did we play like crap?
Rodgers was a force, our LB's were all over Cutler all night, and our Defence, I feel, played a good game.
I don't know how anyone can say we played like crap, when it was so obvious we lost because of our penalties.

Agreed. Cutler was the leading rusher for the Bores. We had a better ground game than they did, and that isn't saying much. We had a lot of pressure and several turnovers (that got nullified by penalties). The only area where they were better was in special teams.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
s
Burnett did okay.. he got jipped on a Cutler popup (reminiscent of Brent), when I thought it was borderline (no homer), it looked like he was playing the ball and made incidental contact.. oh well.

That was the one penalty I had the most problems with. I don't like that you can simply throw a pop up and a WR can simply stop, causing the DB to run into them and a PI is called. But, I guess they have to call it. However, Burnett did turn his head on the replay, but maybe the ref had a hard time seeing that in real time. Apparently the refs were calling GB for every ticky tact thing out there. I believe it also negated a INT by Collins as well.

Caulkup the lopsided officiating to home field adv. Or the refs were afraid of making Cutler mad and having to listen to him whine all game.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
One bright spot is now those silly Bears think they actually won that game by outplaying us. I think this is going to do them more harm than good. It'll lull them into a false sense of security, they think they're better than they are! Some of them are already talkin SB! Come on man, they can't be serious! I'm half tempted to design some Chicago Bears, NFC Champions, Superbowl Champions merch and market it to them! I'd just love to profit from their delusions! As for the Pack, we kind of need this to see where we are at. The Bears were the first real test for us, not counting Philly, Vick threw a monkey wrench in that. Now we know where we stand and what we have to work on to improve.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches are going to murder someone in film study this week.

The offense reminded me of dallas, lots of yards, not a lot of points.

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've played poorly for most of this season and we are 3-1 with the highest scoring offense in the NFC and a top 5 or so scoring defense.

Wait til we get our act together...