Walker DEFINETLY NOT NOT COMING TO CAMP

3rdRoundPunter

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For my first post - I'm setting the bounty on blowSenhaus at $50 million. Good for Ted!!

Walker booting camp
Packers' letter limits options, agent says

By TOM SILVERSTEIN AND BOB WOLFLEY

Posted: July 20, 2005

A letter agent Drew Rosenhaus received last week from Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson stating that the team would not address a contract extension for receiver Javon Walker or allow him to seek a trade solidified the Pro Bowl receiver's decision to boycott training camp.

Javon Walker led the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns last season.

Rosenhaus said Wednesday that after he received the letter from Thompson, he and Walker decided their best option was to continue to withhold the receiver's services from the Packers. Veterans aren't scheduled to report until Wednesday and take the field for the first time two days later, but Rosenhaus didn't see much hope for Walker being there on time.

"We were very disappointed with the team's decision and when they memorialized that with a letter, it basically limited our options to this point to either being traded or deciding what our other options are," Rosenhaus said. "For right now we don't intend to report to training camp."

Rosenhaus first made Walker's intentions known in an interview with HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel", which is scheduled to air at 9 p.m. Tuesday. The interview came shortly after Rosenhaus had received the letter from Thompson and discussed various options with Walker.

It doesn't come as a huge surprise that Walker will boycott training camp considering he has skipped all of the team's off-season functions, including a mandatory minicamp, in an attempt to force the Packers into renegotiating his contract. Besides serving as a protest, Walker's holdout also limits his risk for injury and leaves him with the option of returning for the first week of the regular season when the first installment of his $515,000 base salary is due.

Walker has received considerable pressure from quarterback Brett Favre to give up his holdout and report to training camp, but Rosenhaus said it would not make sense to take the risk.

"I have several concerns," Rosenhaus said. "One is equity. I don't feel that it's fair that Javon should play at that number ($515,000). I've stated that. Two, injury is a major concern. Three, just the way things have developed there are just not positive. Everything that's gone on with Brett Favre and the team's really lack of flexibility, it's not a good situation."

Rosenhaus said that Walker would report if the team would begin the process of renegotiating the two years remaining on the wide receiver's contract, but the Packers made it clear to him that his only option was to play under his current deal. He said Walker just wanted to know they were willing to talk seriously about a new deal.

"Absolutely, no question," Rosenhaus said. "We would have definitely viewed that as a positive. That has been ruled out at this point. And so has a trade. They have not been willing to give us permission to seek a trade. We've run out of options at this point.

"We went through this with Mike McKenzie and he ultimately was traded and, I mean, I guess we're on the same path happening here. It's a shame."

Thompson declined to speak with reporters about the Walker situation and submitted a statement through the team's public relations department that revealed nothing about his level of concern with not having his best receiver in camp.

"In general, we don't comment on conversations we have with our players or their representatives regarding contracts," Thompson said in the statement. "We're looking forward to training camp starting next week."

One option for Thompson is to recoup part of a $1.3 million option bonus paid to Walker in 2003. According to a source with knowledge of Walker's contract, the Packers can declare the receiver in violation of his contract if he misses any part of training camp and seek to have one-fourth of the bonus returned.

There is no such provision for the $3 million signing bonus Walker received as a rookie in 2002.

Rosenhaus said he could not predict when or if Walker would report to camp or if the Packers would consider engaging in contract talks. For now the two are linked and there doesn't appear to be any hope of a resolution before next Friday.

"They've been very adamant about their position and obviously we're quite disappointed," Rosenhaus said. "We're trying to be extremely flexible. We've been very clear on that, that we're not necessarily saying that we have to have a contract done right now as much as just a commitment to get something done in the near future or at least to work on it, and none of that has happened. With that being said, we're really in a situation where we're not happy with the team."

Rosenhaus said a decision had not been made on whether nose tackle Grady Jackson would boycott training camp. Jackson signed with Rosenhaus several weeks ago in an attempt to renegotiate the final year of his two-year, $2.31 million contract and has gotten nowhere with the Packers.

"We haven't made any decisions on Grady at this point," Rosenhaus said of a holdout. "That's something we're still kicking around and that's something Grady and I are discussing as we speak."

HBO's interview with Rosenhaus was part of an update on a profile it did two years ago on the controversial agent , who has received considerable national attention in recent weeks because two of his high profile clients, Walker and Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens, both want new contracts even though their old ones have not expired.

Rosenhaus said in a Fox Radio interview on Wednesday that he and Owens had not decided whether he would attend Eagles training camp, which opens next week.

"That's still up in the air right now and that is something that Terrell and I talk about every day," Rosenhaus said. "Right now we haven't come to a conclusion yet. We're still hopeful that we can get things worked out with the team and come up with a framework of an agreement or some negotiations."

Rosenhaus said his attempt to renegotiate contracts for his clients was a matter of "business" where "principle" plays no role.

"It is business," Rosenhaus said. "In every other profession it goes on. But people want to nail the athletes (because) they have a contract, and they make millions of dollars. It's all relative, baby. It's OK for Tom Cruise to make $50 million a movie? But a guy who risks his life can't get paid a decent wage? B.S. I'm not standing for it."

Rosenhaus continues to verbally spar with Favre, who has stood by his comments that Walker should put the team ahead of his own interests. Last week, he told the Journal Sentinel that Favre should call him and get all the facts regarding Walker's situation and this week Favre joked that he doubted Rosenhaus would take his calls..

"I don't have a problem with Brett having the desire to get Javon back," Rosenhaus said on "GameNight" on ESPN Radio Tuesday night. "I think the way you should do it is to call us. He hasn't called me. He hasn't called Javon, more importantly. If he has a problem with what we are doing, he should call us.

"The other problem that I have is I think that a player should really mind his own business when it comes to another player's personal dispute with the team. But the biggest problem I have with Brett is the fact that he has made comments that have been based on inaccurate information."

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"In general, we don't comment on conversations we have with our players or their representatives regarding contracts," Thompson said in the statement. "We're looking forward to training camp starting next week."

Sounds like Rosenmoron took public what TT thought was strictly a confidential letter. He's stirring the pot further, TT would have remained quiet yet again and moved on to dealing with personnel that DOES WANT TO PLAY.
Hammer

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"A player should really mind his own business when it comes to another player's personal dispute with the team" Gee, Mr. Rosentroublemaker, I thought football is a team sport. If you look at the spelling of football there is no"I" in it. It is the business of the whole team when some big baby who is making half a million dollars doesn't want to play. Remember the saying, "If you don't play the way I want, I will take my toys and go home." I am sure that Rosen. will never read this remark, but just thought I would vent my frustrations with the big baby. And good for Ted Thompson.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Ted Thompson now says that they generally do not comment on contract negotiations. Good! it will keep this out of the media. It will only be Rosey squawking with the media. The media of course will be asking him why he never mentions the 4.3 million dollars in bonus money etc. The story will get old.

Favre was right in saying Rosey works for Walker not the other way around. Yet Rosey kept using "we"- "We will not report to camp"

The new question is what to do with Walker once he reports to attempt to have this year count for vesting puposes. Apparently the Packers cannot ask for any of the 3 million signing bonus. They can only recover a fourth of the 1.3 million bonus paid in 2003 for each year of holdout.

That 325 thousand divided by 17 weeks of the season is $19,117.65 Walker owes the Packers for each week of he holds out.

If he reports week after week 10 like McKenzie did Walker would be out $191,176.47 if an arbitrator uses weekly numbers. His pay for 7 weeks after reporting is $212,058.82.

So by pulling a McKenzie, his pay is $20,882.35 from which the non reporting fines have to be deducted.

That means by taking Rosenhaus advice and reports for minimum 7 weeks of regular season he will be making less per week than the $3000 a week all players receive during training camp.

Rosey says $515,000 or $30,294.12 a week is too low. If he is won't risk injury for $30K a weeK but will for less than $3K?

He is facing the same thing next year!

This is how his agent is helping him by not using his God given talents in the prime of his career.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"It is business," Rosenhaus said. "In every other profession it goes on. But people want to nail the athletes (because) they have a contract, and they make millions of dollars. It's all relative, baby. It's OK for Tom Cruise to make $50 million a movie? But a guy who risks his life can't get paid a decent wage? B.S. I'm not standing for it."

That's right , dude, a contract. As for the Cruise reference, Rosencrap is playing the American Dream card, but is having trouble playing by its rules.
Hammer

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"But a guy who risks his life can't get paid a decent wage? B.S. I'm not standing for it."

Jeez. What a stupid statement.

First, where in the scheme of things does playing wide receiver in the NFL equate with risking one's life?

Second, rather than compare JWalk's salary to Tom Cruise's, if we're talking about risking one's life, would it not be more reasonable to compare JWalk's salary to the salary of a soldier presently serving in Iraq?

Third, what's with "decent wage?" That's laughable. Sorry, but the phrase "decent wage" dropped out of the NFL vocabulary a long time ago.

Finally, "I'm not standing for it." Well good. Don't stand for it. Who ever asked you to stand for it in the first place?

I can't believe Drewboy really says this stuff. Crack me up.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F-him....."For right now,we don't intend to report to training camp" We?....who the F---ever invited you to training camp?

"It's a business"........."The other problem that I have is that I think that a player should really mind his own business when it comes to another players PERSONAL dispute with the team."....
Is it a business or personal? A-hole.

Man I hope this guy gets run over by a gas truck and he tastes his own blood.

Here's an idea pig. Quit staging lifesaving shows just so you can suck face with a 4 year old....stay off TV shows..... and try to serve your clients best interest.....not yours!

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rosena$$ has got to be the biggest most arrogant smoke blower I've ever seen. If the Packers have to be the team to stand up againest him then so be it. I'm willing to loose Javon so the packers and the rest of the NFL teams won't have to go through this year after year. This is getting ridiculous. I don't think there will be that big of difference without him. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a #84 jersey. Hey I think the viqueens have a few extra #84 jerseys. Javon would look good in one of them since he's acting like the punk that use to wear them. Although I can see why Javon wants more money, I'd want more money too if I was risking my life like he does.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...I love your succinct "F-Him" response! Pretty well sums it up. Let Javon sit, lose a year's vesting toward free agency and big dollars.

T-Murph....we need you, baby!!

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say as I grab my pail and head to work is I hope I get asked for overtime. The bills are coming in faster than the money is. As I toil in the hot plant I can only wonder what a great actor Javon Walker could be. I hope in his spare time ol Ross can get JW some acting classes. No one should have to work for mere millions when there's so much money out in Hollywood. Maybe Javon can get in the next "The Longest Yard" movie... by the way it's a must see movie for football fans. Us fans like our players loyal and thats not asking a whole lot considering we never get to take our families to a game live simply because we have to work and really can't afford it anyway. And no I'm not whining just telling it like it is.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We went through this with Mike McKenzie and he ultimately was traded and, I mean, I guess we're on the same path happening here. It's a shame."

That's the most important thing I read.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was RosenPig...The Pack know they didn't handle the MacKenzie situation well with regard to future outbreaks...

I think you can count on Javon sitting on the bench if he wants part of his current contract, and most definatly, NOT BEING TRADED! :D :twisted:

Thank God it's a full 2yr deal...That's a long time to ride the pine. A huge advantage for us...

I don't even want to think about this, but can't help it...Just imagine if Walker eventually (after a number of games), after much pouting, does play...Looks for the right situation...and flubs a pass from #4 to cost us a game on one of Brett's signature 2min drills...

I just have vissions of Farve running down the sideline, and grabing Walker around the collar with Sherman and teamates restraining him...

Talk about SportsCenter.

Hopefully Walker is enough of an individual to not go this route.
He does seem like the kind of kid to do whatever Rosenpig says from here on in :roll:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
"Just imagine if Walker eventually (after a number of games), after much pouting, does play...Looks for the right situation...and flubs a pass from #4 to cost us a game on one of Brett's signature 2min drills...

I've worried about that too...a lot of bridges have been burned...IF he comes back, is he going to play 100% since he's "risking his life," (unlike any other profession, btw). Also, will Favre be less inclined to throw to him?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big deal...

I am n ot that impressed with his holdout. MANY a people have held out during camp, then come in when the Paychecks started.

haven't we seen this before?

If he is saying that he wants more money, can he really relinquish a paycheck of $45,833/week? I would stay put and know that he WILL eventually come in. Brett doesn't NEED Walker to be effective. How bad did he slip when Sterling Sharpe quit? I'd say Sharpe was a bigger loss than Walker.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching Mike & Mike on ESPN for a brief period this morning, and they had ESPN reporter Sal Paolantonio on as a guest. What surprised me was when he said that the league was telling the Eagles at the last owners meetings to stand firm and not give in to T. Owens. He said the owners want to send a strong message to the agents and players, otherwise they are afraid everyone will want to redo their contracts.

He said both the Eagles and Packers won't give in to Owens or Walker.

I'm not surprised at all that the owners would feel this way, but I was surprised that the owners would tell a reporter this if true because even though I agree with their firm stance, I would think it would almost be a form of collusion. But then again if it's true, what the owners are asking for is the players to honor their contracts, so maybe it's not collusion compared to baseball when owners agreed behind closed doors to keep salaries down years ago.

Sal really believed though that the Eagles and Packers won't give in to either player which I hope is the case, because I think it would send a strong message across the league if 2 of the better teams won't cave in to the demands of 2 of the better players.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you Arizona. I, too, hope that the Packers and the Eagles hang tough. These guys are nothing but big crybabies. Gee, only $43,000plus a week. I wonder how he can manage to get by on that salary/ :roll: :roll:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say make a point. If he is not at camp assign his number to someone else, send him a letter telling him he has been put on a waiting list and will be eligible for season tickets in 2039 season. That would really **** Walker off, and send him a message.

RP

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carol it is only $30K a week new money on top of bonuses. That isn't fair.

To date he has made an average of $110,784.31 every week not including training camp money and playoffs games.

If he played under current arrangements with a low salary by the end of the year his weekly average without training camp, playoffs games, and mini camps would be down to $83,088.26 a week over 68 weeks of his 4 years.

Members online

Latest posts