$$ vs Ring

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well yeah. I'm also sure alot of players have visions of turning around down trodden franshises when they sign with them though.
Maybe a few of the great ones have those illusions of grandeur and Reggie may have been one of them.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a few of the great ones have those illusions of grandeur and Reggie may have been one of them.

See I'd argue almost all of them do. You don't get to the pro level without the confidence, ego or naivety

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it was me I'd value money more than ring it's a job. the exception is taking a one year deal on a good team trying to get a ring and having a way better season than you likely would on a bad team. and then getting paid but bottom line it's about money not winning or you could short yourself and your family out of a secure financial future

Sky King

Reaction score
Since there is no guarantee on winning a Super Bowl, maybe the better way to phrase the question would be:

"If you had a choice of playing in Cleveland or New England, how much more money (if any) would it take to get you to choose Cleveland?"
Millions more to spend plus a much longer off-season in which to do so. It would be a babe hound's dream. :cool:

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken the Packer gave Reggie a lot of money.

Funny how people remember history --- the packers gave Reggie more money than any other team was offering him at the time.

Missed my point. Money is integral and I don't expect them to play for peanuts. Reggie came to a Favre run offence which had a good chance of going all the way. Suh went to a dead end team which has trouble even making playoff's far less the chance of the ring. I don't mind if money and win go hand in hand, but when one totally outweighs the other, I was surprised.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed my point. Money is integral and I don't expect them to play for peanuts. Reggie came to a Favre run offence which had a good chance of going all the way. Suh went to a dead end team which has trouble even making playoff's far less the chance of the ring. I don't mind if money and win go hand in hand, but when one totally outweighs the other, I was surprised.

You really aren't remembering that time frame correctly

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think I missed your point at all. Your point was Reggie signing with us was completely different that Suh signing with the Dolphins correct. I didn't miss that I just disagreed with it. I still don't think the White and Suh signings were all that different. I think there would have been a slim chance Reggie would have come here had the Packers offer been 500,000 less than someone else.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got time to list all of those in the NFL? Should be a pretty short list. :)

Randy Moss took less to go to NE (Didn't work though)

Anybody who has signed with NE since 2001 has taken less to go there

Julius Peppers took less cause he thought he could get a ring here

Jordy would be getting about 2M more on another team even with the ACL.

And yes, it is a short list, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By definition, you have to be right. My only point is that you're not right very often. :)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Money isn't everything but a lack of it is. It comes and goes. Won't make you happy all by itself. When is enough really enough? You can't take it with you and the kids are just gonna fight over it.

I see the need for a player wanting to get paid but a ring and a championship is something that nobody can ever take away for you. It permanently ties you to greatness at a very high level. It is the fulfilment of a childhood dream for many.

I really don't know how you could compare the two.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at Peterson specifically. He has made his 100million bucks already. He ranks up there with Barry Sanders in my record.

Only thing missing is a ring.
Right?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You would think. It's just a lot of ego and greed.

90 percent of these guys are flat broke a few years being removed from the league. They live a lifestyle thats like pumping gas into a car with a softball sized hole in the gas tank

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For example, Reggie coming here vs Suh moving to Dolphins. Do players actually value money more than the opportunity to win a SB?

Does NFL pay far too much attention on personal honors at the cost of the team honors? I mean we have all time great QB who have won zilch with their teams. And you have 'merely good' players with multiple rings? Which one is more important?

Is taking a pay cut for a chance to win the SB more important than earning money in a dead end team?

If you were a NFL player what would you choose?

As others have already pointed out here, the only correct answer to that questions is "It depends".

NFL players have short careers, some obviously much shorter that others. They sacrifice their bodies and risk their long-term health to make a lot of money. I don't begrudge any of them the opportunity to make as much as they can while it lasts.

Some find themselves in a fortunate situation where they've already made a lot of money and now would like to have a chance to get a ring. Great for them, but not everyone has that option.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think it truly depends on the player. If a player has been playing in Cleveland for 8 years and ended his contract, but the Patriots offered him a low money deal with the opportunity to win a SB, I bet he takes that. If a player has been in New England for 8 years and won 2 SB and the Browns offered him a high contract deal, I am sure he takes that. It really depends on the players situation. Its bizarre that the Pats do not offer more money to players, considering Brady takes next to nothing. I was very surprised Hightower stayed with the contract he was offered. Pretty low in my opinion, taking into account what Perry got.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it truly depends on the player. If a player has been playing in Cleveland for 8 years and ended his contract, but the Patriots offered him a low money deal with the opportunity to win a SB, I bet he takes that. If a player has been in New England for 8 years and won 2 SB and the Browns offered him a high contract deal, I am sure he takes that. It really depends on the players situation. Its bizarre that the Pats do not offer more money to players, considering Brady takes next to nothing. I was very surprised Hightower stayed with the contract he was offered. Pretty low in my opinion, taking into account what Perry got.
I am always amused when people say that Tom Brady "takes next to nothing".... While it's true that Brady has restructured his contract several times... Saying that he makes next to nothing is ridiculous. His latest contract is a 2 year deal that included a 28 million dollar signing bonus.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am always amused when people say that Tom Brady "takes next to nothing".... While it's true that Brady has restructured his contract several times... Saying that he makes next to nothing is ridiculous. His latest contract is a 2 year deal that included a 28 million dollar signing bonus.

They make it sound as if Tom is getting next to nothing from the Patriots. I would be very surprised if at any point in his career Brady has ever taken less than what he originally signed his contract or his extension or whatever for. If his original contract said he was going to get 10 million a year for 5 years and after the 4th year he agreed to take 1 million in salary the next year and the other 9 as part of a signing bonus for an extension he is still getting his 50 million.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting.

Will AR12 do that to remain with the Franchise? Potentially yes. As long as it's restructures similar to brady that he doesn't lose money, why not?

Rather than restructuring we seem to favour dropping players even those who express willingness to remain in GB.

Very few players who go in for a restructuring of their contract actually lose money. In most cases they end up making more, at least more guaranteed. If the Packers plan on keeping Rodgers around after 2019 they could easily do a Brady type extension after this year, or next, where they take a large portion of his base salary, convert it to a signing bonus over another 3 years or whatever and reduce the cap hit for a season or two. It's what Brady has been doing all along and it has worked out very well for him and the Patriots. It's not without its risk however. Essentially they are pushing the money into the future. In 2018 Rodgers is slated to make around 20 million in salary, none of it is guaranteed and none of it is in the form of a signing bonus. He has a another million or so in assorted bonuses which raise his cap hit to around 21 million. Tom Brady is slated to make 15 million in salary but another 7 million will count against the cap as part of the signing bonus from his most recent extension for a cap hit of 22 million The numbers are similar for 2019. The bottom line is that if Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers play for their respective teams in 2018 and 2019 they will cost basically the same in their cap hit. Where the Patriots are taking a risk is that if for some reason both players end up unemployed in 2018 the Patriots will still have to count 14 million dollars against the cap whereas the Packers get off scott free. Eventually all the signing bonus money needs to be accounted for cap wise. Salary money may not be if it is not guaranteed.

Now obviously taking that risk has paid off handsomely for the Patriots. By pushing the money out and keeping TBs cap hit low they have been able to keep players that they may have had to let go otherwise. Its nothing new and teams do it all the time. It just doesn't work out all the time and eventually it will catch up.

Is it worth it. Its not as simple as saying just look at the Patriots, obviously its worth it because, like I said, all teams do it to some extent and it doesn't always work out. I tend to think it is worth it and it could be said that it comes down to a win now or stay competitive later philosophy. Who knows what the Packers could have done if they would have been able to lower Rodgers cap hit by 5 or 6 million the past couple of years.

The one number that really jumped out at me was the 196 million that Tom Brady has made playing football. Tom has been very much a team player when it comes to adjusting his salary but the fact is the Patriots have still paid him a ton of money.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was very surprised Hightower stayed with the contract he was offered. Pretty low in my opinion, taking into account what Perry got.

It's not surprising that Perry got more money than Hightower because NFL teams value edge rusher way higher than inside linebackers.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it worth it. Its not as simple as saying just look at the Patriots, obviously its worth it because, like I said, all teams do it to some extent and it doesn't always work out. I tend to think it is worth it and it could be said that it comes down to a win now or stay competitive later philosophy.

Good read. Thanks for the post!

As to the above, surely there must be a difference between rest of the QB's and elite ones like Brady and Rodgers. They are franchise QBs and are expected to play for many years. By pushing the cap a bit and spending to get more quality on other positions got them all those SBs. You really don't want that risk, if you have an OK QB, but with the Top 3 or 4 QBs it'll definitely be worth the while to gamble on getting some rings.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good read. Thanks for the post!

As to the above, surely there must be a difference between rest of the QB's and elite ones like Brady and Rodgers. They are franchise QBs and are expected to play for many years. By pushing the cap a bit and spending to get more quality on other positions got them all those SBs. You really don't want that risk, if you have an OK QB, but with the Top 3 or 4 QBs it'll definitely be worth the while to gamble on getting some rings.

Most definitely, if you have a true difference maker it makes more sense to get him the help he needs because even the best ones need help. It doesn't work just for QBs either. JJ Watt is a true force on defense but he is still just 1 man. If the Texans can work his deal to lower his cap hit to bring in another top flight pass rusher or LB or DB it will only help him get better and with a player of his caliber its worth it. Note I just picked Watt as an example because he is one of the best defensive players in the game. He has signed his big money deal in 2014 but interestingly he got very little in the way of guaranteed money. He is a prime candidate for just such a deal because right now almost all the money he is due is salary based. If they convert a good chunk of that salary to a bonus and pro rate it they can lower their cap hit substantially. The problem with JJ is he is already signed through 2021 so an extension any time soon is unrealistic. In 2015 he did convert a roster bonus to a signing bonus which freed up 8 million in cap space.

For the record I hope the Packers can do something similar with Rodgers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts