PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pro-Bowl is a joke.
And I dunno but I think voting for Packers may jinx them from getting to the more important bowl game instead.

H

HardRightEdge

Based on consistently good performance while discounting reputation, I'd say the most deserving, in order of preference are:

Rodgers
Nelson
Sitton
Williams

Honorable Mention:

Peppers
Matthews
Cobb
Burnett

In particular, Williams outstanding play this season has been overlooked; voters like INTs but I've detected few mistakes in coverage from Williams.

If I were to vote today, I'd have a hard time picking either Peppers or Matthews at this point...they've played well but there is a lot of competition among edge rushers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year we get a pro-bowl thread and it seems like a good number just don't care about this worthless game.

I gave it a chance last year but quickly gave up when I saw it was divided up into teams created by two NFL network sportscasters. One was the Sanders team and the other? I forgot.
That just shows how even the NFL thinks it's a joke.
I'd rather watch all of the Puppy Bowl before the Pro-bowl.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cobb for sure
The Pro Bowl game itself is a waste of time,players only go because it's a paid vacation to Hawaii, a lot of players don't even go for risk of getting injured in a meaningless game. Getting picked as an All Pro is what matters.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl game itself is a waste of time,players only go because it's a paid vacation to Hawaii, a lot of players don't even go for risk of getting injured in a meaningless game. Getting picked as an All Pro is what matters.
Arizona*

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I dont. All pro in my eyes is by far a biggest statement but when it's all said and done, when the HOF comes up for discussion on a player the number of pro bowls always comes up.

I don't like the game, I think it's a joke. I wish it didn't happen at all. But the ratings are very solid so it will continue on until they don't get an audience

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Pro bowl is an utter joke compared to what it once was. Just selecting players and naming them to some sort of all Madden team would be more honorable.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I dont. All pro in my eyes is by far a biggest statement but when it's all said and done, when the HOF comes up for discussion on a player the number of pro bowls always comes up.

I don't like the game, I think it's a joke. I wish it didn't happen at all. But the ratings are very solid so it will continue on until they don't get an audience
The little bit I watched, I think I saw a bunch of empty seats in the stands.

Pro bowl is an utter joke compared to what it once was. Just selecting players and naming them to some sort of all Madden team would be more honorable.
Don't they do that already for HS and/or College players? Name top players to like "All American Team" or something like that and they don't play a game?
I agree with your idea, Okpf, that they should do that for the pros.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they get rid of it? It's successful.

Pro bowl was seen by 11.7 million

Game 7 of NBA eastern con finals - 11.6

Baseballs nl championship averaged 5 mil

It out performed every other all star game in other sports as well.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Why would they get rid of it? It's successful.

Pro bowl was seen by 11.7 million

Game 7 of NBA eastern con finals - 11.6

Baseballs nl championship averaged 5 mil

It out performed every other all star game in other sports as well.

I bet those tv stats were calculated in the first 5 min of viewing time lol..... People turned the channel after that, I know I did, it was and still is a joke. Like mentioned above, the amount of empty seats said enough.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year we get a pro-bowl thread and it seems like a good number just don't care about this worthless game.

I gave it a chance last year but quickly gave up when I saw it was divided up into teams created by two NFL network sportscasters. One was the Sanders team and the other? I forgot.
That just shows how even the NFL thinks it's a joke.
I'd rather watch all of the Puppy Bowl before the Pro-bowl.
Lol,the puppy bowl,at least thy did something to try to keep us tuned in to that game,after that game last year I thought any reality show is better than this,it has turned into a big joke.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have an idea,still name players to the Pro Bowl but have the respective coaches play it out on one of those old vibrating football games.

H

HardRightEdge

I have an idea,still name players to the Pro Bowl but have the respective coaches play it out on one of those old vibrating football games.
How about playing it out with Strat-O-Matic football? I loved this as a kid. Anybody still play it?

The Pro Bowl selections, though not perfect, represent a consensus that is weighted 2/3 toward player and coaches opinions. While an AP All-Pro selection is most prized, choosing the between the best vs. second best QB or the 2nd. best vs. 3rd. best cornerback is somewhat arbitrary.

With the Pro Bowl rosters, 6 or 8 QBs and 8 or 10 CBs (after the alternates get named) captures the better players without attempting to split hairs. While there are always a couple of reputational picks made out of habit, the choices are by and large, quite credible. As a consequence, Pro Bowl selections are considered in HOF voting (as already noted) and as a contract incentive on occasion.

It would seem the attempts to discredit the Pro Bowl in these kinds of discussions have as much to do with the Packers not getting many players on the roster in recent years as anything else.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

How about playing it out with Strat-O-Matic football? I loved this as a kid. Anybody still play it?

The Pro Bowl selections, though not perfect, represent a consensus that is weighted 2/3 toward player and coaches opinions. While an AP All-Pro selection is most prized, choosing the between the best vs. second best QB or the 2nd. best vs. 3rd. best cornerback is somewhat arbitrary.

With the Pro Bowl rosters, 6 or 8 QBs and 8 or 10 CBs (after the alternates get named) captures the better players without attempting to split hairs. While there are always a couple of reputational picks made out of habit, the choices are by and large, quite credible. As a consequence, Pro Bowl selections are considered in HOF voting (as already noted) and as a contract incentive on occasion.

It would seem the attempts to discredit the Pro Bowl in these kinds of discussions have as much to do with the Packers not getting many players on the roster in recent years as anything else.

How the hell did you play a vibrating football game ?? Sounds interesting.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It becomes an issue though when you have 11 QBs in a pro bowl. Where is the honor in that?

H

HardRightEdge

It becomes an issue though when you have 11 QBs in a pro bowl. Where is the honor in that?
You're spoiled. A QB who may not be among the consensus elite 4 (or maybe 5 now with Luck) but still in a theoretical top 11 is good enough to win a Super Bowl with the right surrounding cast. If we had a top 4 ILB you might sing a different tune about the "honor" that might accrue.

H

HardRightEdge

How the hell did you play a vibrating football game ?? Sounds interesting.
It wasn't interesting at all. It's been around for at least 50 years and it remains a running joke among those whoever owned one of these things. It's even been used for comic effect in a recent commercial. Here's the current version of the game. It is in fact as random as it looks:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It survives, one would think, as a nostalgic gift from baby boomers to their grandchildren. Today's kids must say WTF when they fire it up, just as we did as kids.

Strat-O-Matic was (is) based on actual player stats, with rolls of the dice, and involves play calling on both offense and defense. I guess it's like Madden football in the form of a board game.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It wasn't interesting at all. It's been around for at least 50 years and it remains a running joke among those whoever owned one of these things. It's even been used for comic effect in a recent commercial. Here's the current version of the game. It is in fact as random as it looks:

It survives, one would think, as a nostalgic gift from baby boomers to their grandchildren. Today's kids must say WTF when they fire it up, just as we did as kids.

Strat-O-Matic was (is) based on actual player stats, with rolls of the dice, and involves play calling on both offense and defense. I guess it's like Madden football in the form of a board game.

WTF ??? :eek:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's funny how they have updated it with the cleats and the remote to control the speed to somehow try to keep it relevant and yet it still looks really dumb or is lame.
You can't polish a turd.

Latest posts