Visiting Green Bay? Lesson one, speak the lingo

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sure but I will translate it for you FREE.
In the beginning THE BEARS STILL SUCK! The end
I can remember whenever I spoke to anybody, they stood staring at me with the mouth open trying to work out what I had just said :laugh:. I was even asked if I was Australian. My accent completely threw them. I loved Wisconsin

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
try being away from WI for a while, then come back and hear how heavy the accent is and hear some of the funny terminology. My wife had never been up there and she was cracking up at the cashier at Shopko in Oshkosh.....that lady said "don't cha know" after every sentence and popped the word "gosh" out at least 4 times in one conversation.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
try being away from WI for a while, then come back and hear how heavy the accent is and hear some of the funny terminology. My wife had never been up there and she was cracking up at the cashier at Shopko in Oshkosh.....that lady said "don't cha know" after every sentence and popped the word "gosh" out at least 4 times in one conversation.
Don't recall ever using the phrase "don't cha know" in normal conversation. Just checked w/ the better half and she doesn't know anyone that uses it. Her brother is big on "well, ya know" and whatchamacallit but he is the only one in a family of 8 that does.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just moved up here from MS last yr but originally from IN. I compare the WI accent to a NJ accent. But not as bad as a Jersey accent meaning u can understand a WI accent better than a Jersey accent

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just moved up here from MS last yr but originally from IN. I compare the WI accent to a NJ accent. But not as bad as a Jersey accent meaning u can understand a WI accent better than a Jersey accent

Seriously? I think we sound more like the people from Fargo

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I've seen Fargo and that ain't 'consin. I think the people from Green Bay sound A LOT like the people from Appleton. Must be that all the TV channels are from GB influencing them.

well they are very close, most cities above Milwaukee have the same accent/lingo. I'm from Oshkosh and sound like most of the rest of the cities I have been to in WI.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
When I am away from Appleton for an extended period of time, I lose most of the accent. Some words never change for me though and my wife still gets a kick out of it. Like "roof", she tells me it sound like I am saying "woof" like a dog. When I go back on vacation or for the Air show, I pick up the accent in about 3 days. Then in lingers when back in FL for about 6 months.

Wisconsin words from when I was young that other parts of the country go "what?". Bubbler. It's a water fountain. Pop = Soda, carbonated beverage not of alcohol. Trying to think of more.......................and the word across, well it has a t at the end. Like "acrost the street."

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've lived in Green Bay all my life until I moved to Milwaukee two summers ago. Some things I've noticed:

-Racine. I say "ruh-seen." They say "ray-seen."
-"ta" for "to." Example: "Do you need ta go ta the store today?"
-Booyah is a food, not a superlative.
-Bubbler. I don't know if it's the fact that Illinois is a hop skip and jump away, but most people here seem to call it a water fountain, which saddens me. :( I always thought everyone from Wisconsin called it a bubbler.

There's more but I can't think of them right now. The first one I listed surprised me the most. I had never heard Racine pronounced the way they pronounce it here.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything will be alright. U can still call it a bubbler & it may catch on

Staff online

Latest posts