Vikings move to L.A....what team joins NFC North Division?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Based on Geography, I can only think of St. Louis Rams. And if that happened, how would all the other divisions look? Something to think about while you are not thinking about Packer Patriots game.

I did like the quote from the owner of the Vikings saying he hopes the next game is played at the University of Minnesota because his favorite memories are of games played out doors.

Please outlaw artificial turf even if it is a domed stadium. I have watched the hit on Aaron Rodgers over and over and it does not look that bad except if you factor in the fact that his head hits on concrete instead of grass.

Please feel free to move this to another forum like NFL news if you wish.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on geography and going with an already established team, I'd also say the Rams. But there is also the slim possibility they might start up an expansion team and plant it God knows where.

Also, it may not be based on geography at all. I've never understood this but the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East! So if that's the case we could land up with just about anybody. I see this as the least likely of the scenarios as it would cause somebody else to shuffle to fill the spot on whatever division the team got moved from.

As funny as it seems, how realistic is the possibility of the Vikings moving at all. I just heard they are planning on building a new stadium for them, it doesn't sound like they intend to go anywhere any time soon. However, knowing the illogical nature of the Vikings, it would be just like them to finance a new stadium only to move that year or next.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Based on Geography, I can only think of St. Louis Rams. And if that happened, how would all the other divisions look? Something to think about while you are not thinking about Packer Patriots game.

I did like the quote from the owner of the Vikings saying he hopes the next game is payed at the University of Minnesota because his favorite memories are of games played out doors.

Please outlaw artificial turf even if it is a domed stadium. I have watched the hit on Aaron Rodgers over and over and it does not look that bad except if you factor in the fact that his head hits on concrete instead of grass.

Please feel free to move this to another forum like NFL news if you wish.

Actually, I think the dome collapsing was a benefit to the Vikings organization. Now the state wants to get in on passing a bill for a new stadium. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get law makers to take action. However, I think the Wilfs should pony up the bucks for a new stadium themselves, and not expect tax payers to do it. But, it doesn't hurt to have the attention of a whole nation looking at how the Metrodome is so shabby.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Actually, I think the dome collapsing was a benefit to the Vikings organization. Now the state wants to get in on passing a bill for a new stadium. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get law makers to take action. However, I think the Wilfs should pony up the bucks for a new stadium themselves, and not expect tax payers to do it. But, it doesn't hurt to have the attention of a whole nation looking at how the Metrodome is so shabby.

This. I think the collapse actually saved the team from moving to LA. Now the city is going to cave in, in a similar fashion as the stadium, by building a new stadium.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would we really want the Viqueens to move?
I know that some do because we can't stand the fans and would love to see the fans hurt by their team moving.
On the other hand, isn't it kinda fun to have a hated rival?
Vikings; The team we love to hate.

I have no idea how soft it is underneath the astro turf.
However natch grass isn't really that soft either. Especially outdoors on cold mid-states Decemburrrrrr days.

Now you got me wondering what the injury ratio is of natch grass to astro.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd agree with you on the outlawing on turf. I'd like what the University of Phoenix Stadium has with the retractable field. But that will be a big time modification at all domes.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The state of Minnesota is broke, like all the rest of the states. Poll after poll shows opposition to public financing for a new stadium in Minnesota, which makes sense in this economic climate. It looks like they very likely will move. So put the Yikes in the AFC west and move Kansas City into our division. We don't need another dome team in the division.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Vikings moved, and they changed the division, the Rams would be in the North and the Vikes in the west. None of the other teams would move.

That said, someone pointed to the rivalry in the NFC East as a reason why the Vikings might stay. From a logistical point of view, the Panthers should be in the east while the Cowboys stay in the south, yet they kept the NFC East rivalry.

I agree this helps, and not hurts, the Vikings in getting a new stadium in Minnesota. Just so long as they build an open-air stadium and not some stupid dome. Or, if you're going to build a dome for multi-purpose use, the NFL should require a retractable roof and mandate it stay open for EVERY football game. This should be the case for every team playing in a dome.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
If the Vikings moved, and they changed the division, the Rams would be in the North and the Vikes in the west. None of the other teams would move.

That said, someone pointed to the rivalry in the NFC East as a reason why the Vikings might stay. From a logistical point of view, the Panthers should be in the east while the Cowboys stay in the south, yet they kept the NFC East rivalry.

I agree this helps, and not hurts, the Vikings in getting a new stadium in Minnesota. Just so long as they build an open-air stadium and not some stupid dome. Or, if you're going to build a dome for multi-purpose use, the NFL should require a retractable roof and mandate it stay open for EVERY football game. This should be the case for every team playing in a dome.

Open domes AND NO cement covered with turf.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
They'd stay in our division until there's a few more teams. They aren't going to restructure because 1 team moved, it's not like there's travel concerns or anything like that now.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say resurrect the Decatur Staleys.

Who????

I am going old school and giving a nod to one of the original NFL teams.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably the Rams.

But I think they should move the Rams to the AFC South and then move Indy to the NFC North, since it'd be great geographically for the NFC North (AFC South is messed up anyway...at least its somewhat close to TN).

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say resurrect the Decatur Staleys.

Who????

I am going old school and giving a nod to one of the original NFL teams.

Football was funny in the 1920's...here is a story on the Staleys

• The [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staley_Swindle"]Staley Swindle[/ame] (December 4, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_NFL_season"]1921[/ame], Buffalo All-Americans vs. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears"]Chicago Staleys[/ame]) The Staleys, having won every game of their 1921 season (partially by refusing to play any road games) except their Thanksgiving game against the then-undefeated All-Americans (who, other than their match against Chicago, also had played all of their games at home), challenged the All-Americans to a rematch. Buffalo, having already scheduled their last game for December 3, agreed on the condition that it be considered a "post-season" exhibition match and not be counted in the standings. When Chicago won the rematch 10-7, Staleys owner [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Halas"]George Halas[/ame] persuaded the league to count the game in the standings by playing two more games, in an effort to discredit the All-Americans' "post-season" claim and to bring their win percentage to the same as the All-Americans. The league then instituted the first-ever tiebreaker for the championship (a now discontinued rule stating that a rematch counts more than a first matchup) and handing the championship to Chicago. The "Staley Swindle" name is primarily used by Buffalo sports fans. The league was forced to place a finite end to the season after the incident; by [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924_NFL_season"]1924[/ame], when Chicago attempted to do the same thing with a post-season match against the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Bulldogs"]Cleveland Bulldogs[/ame], the league disallowed it and allowed Cleveland to keep its title.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OldSchoolFan...remember when the NFL champion used to play an exhibition game against college all-stars?
This game was so popular for a time, that the largest attendance ever to watch a professional football game was 105,840 in 1947 (and that attendance record still stands). They quit playing these games in 1976. What NFL team and what coach was the last one to lose to college all-stars?

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love seeing Manning vs. Rodgers twice each season.

And after Manning retires, we'll have two Detroit Lions in our conference, so the Bears and Packers can focus on each other :-D

I think Bears and Colts could become a good rivalry pretty fast, kind of like Indiana/Illinois in college.

Members online

Latest posts