1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vikings move to L.A....what team joins NFC North Division?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenGoldAngel, Dec 16, 2010.

1. GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +133
    Based on Geography, I can only think of St. Louis Rams. And if that happened, how would all the other divisions look? Something to think about while you are not thinking about Packer Patriots game.

I did like the quote from the owner of the Vikings saying he hopes the next game is played at the University of Minnesota because his favorite memories are of games played out doors.

Please outlaw artificial turf even if it is a domed stadium. I have watched the hit on Aaron Rodgers over and over and it does not look that bad except if you factor in the fact that his head hits on concrete instead of grass.

Please feel free to move this to another forum like NFL news if you wish.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    Nobody, at least for a long time. They will keep em in the North.

3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Based on geography and going with an already established team, I'd also say the Rams. But there is also the slim possibility they might start up an expansion team and plant it God knows where.

Also, it may not be based on geography at all. I've never understood this but the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East! So if that's the case we could land up with just about anybody. I see this as the least likely of the scenarios as it would cause somebody else to shuffle to fill the spot on whatever division the team got moved from.

As funny as it seems, how realistic is the possibility of the Vikings moving at all. I just heard they are planning on building a new stadium for them, it doesn't sound like they intend to go anywhere any time soon. However, knowing the illogical nature of the Vikings, it would be just like them to finance a new stadium only to move that year or next.

4. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    Vikings join the pathetic NFC West, Rams join the NFC North.

5. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I'm putting my money on San Diego being the team that moves.

6. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,983
    Actually, I think the dome collapsing was a benefit to the Vikings organization. Now the state wants to get in on passing a bill for a new stadium. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get law makers to take action. However, I think the Wilfs should pony up the bucks for a new stadium themselves, and not expect tax payers to do it. But, it doesn't hurt to have the attention of a whole nation looking at how the Metrodome is so shabby.

7. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    This. I think the collapse actually saved the team from moving to LA. Now the city is going to cave in, in a similar fashion as the stadium, by building a new stadium.

8. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    The Toronto Bills
    or what ever name they take after moving out of depressed western NY state.

9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,802
    Would we really want the Viqueens to move?
    I know that some do because we can't stand the fans and would love to see the fans hurt by their team moving.
    On the other hand, isn't it kinda fun to have a hated rival?
    Vikings; The team we love to hate.

I have no idea how soft it is underneath the astro turf.
    However natch grass isn't really that soft either. Especially outdoors on cold mid-states Decemburrrrrr days.

Now you got me wondering what the injury ratio is of natch grass to astro.

10. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    if the move was to happen then the rams are the most logical to join our division

11. Packfan14

Packfan14 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    I'd agree with you on the outlawing on turf. I'd like what the University of Phoenix Stadium has with the retractable field. But that will be a big time modification at all domes.

12. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    The state of Minnesota is broke, like all the rest of the states. Poll after poll shows opposition to public financing for a new stadium in Minnesota, which makes sense in this economic climate. It looks like they very likely will move. So put the Yikes in the AFC west and move Kansas City into our division. We don't need another dome team in the division.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    If the Vikings moved, and they changed the division, the Rams would be in the North and the Vikes in the west. None of the other teams would move.

That said, someone pointed to the rivalry in the NFC East as a reason why the Vikings might stay. From a logistical point of view, the Panthers should be in the east while the Cowboys stay in the south, yet they kept the NFC East rivalry.

I agree this helps, and not hurts, the Vikings in getting a new stadium in Minnesota. Just so long as they build an open-air stadium and not some stupid dome. Or, if you're going to build a dome for multi-purpose use, the NFL should require a retractable roof and mandate it stay open for EVERY football game. This should be the case for every team playing in a dome.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,983

Open domes AND NO cement covered with turf.

15. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    They'd stay in our division until there's a few more teams. They aren't going to restructure because 1 team moved, it's not like there's travel concerns or anything like that now.

16. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I say resurrect the Decatur Staleys.

Who????

I am going old school and giving a nod to one of the original NFL teams.

17. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Why the hell do they have to move, can't they just do away with them entirely?

18. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    One big purple POOF!!! :blink:

19. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Probably the Rams.

But I think they should move the Rams to the AFC South and then move Indy to the NFC North, since it'd be great geographically for the NFC North (AFC South is messed up anyway...at least its somewhat close to TN).

20. GreenGoldAngel

Ratings:
    +133
    Football was funny in the 1920's...here is a story on the Staleys

• The [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staley_Swindle"]Staley Swindle[/ame] (December 4, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_NFL_season"]1921[/ame], Buffalo All-Americans vs. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears"]Chicago Staleys[/ame]) The Staleys, having won every game of their 1921 season (partially by refusing to play any road games) except their Thanksgiving game against the then-undefeated All-Americans (who, other than their match against Chicago, also had played all of their games at home), challenged the All-Americans to a rematch. Buffalo, having already scheduled their last game for December 3, agreed on the condition that it be considered a "post-season" exhibition match and not be counted in the standings. When Chicago won the rematch 10-7, Staleys owner [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Halas"]George Halas[/ame] persuaded the league to count the game in the standings by playing two more games, in an effort to discredit the All-Americans' "post-season" claim and to bring their win percentage to the same as the All-Americans. The league then instituted the first-ever tiebreaker for the championship (a now discontinued rule stating that a rematch counts more than a first matchup) and handing the championship to Chicago. The "Staley Swindle" name is primarily used by Buffalo sports fans. The league was forced to place a finite end to the season after the incident; by [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924_NFL_season"]1924[/ame], when Chicago attempted to do the same thing with a post-season match against the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Bulldogs"]Cleveland Bulldogs[/ame], the league disallowed it and allowed Cleveland to keep its title.

21. GreenGoldAngel

Ratings:
    +133
    OldSchoolFan...remember when the NFL champion used to play an exhibition game against college all-stars?
    This game was so popular for a time, that the largest attendance ever to watch a professional football game was 105,840 in 1947 (and that attendance record still stands). They quit playing these games in 1976. What NFL team and what coach was the last one to lose to college all-stars?

22. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Move the Vikings to the AFC South, and the Colts to the NFC NortH LOL

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    so we can get another QB in our division that some day wont know when to let it go? No thanks.

24. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    You want Packers Vs Vikings in the Superbowl!!!

25. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'd love seeing Manning vs. Rodgers twice each season.

And after Manning retires, we'll have two Detroit Lions in our conference, so the Bears and Packers can focus on each other :-D

I think Bears and Colts could become a good rivalry pretty fast, kind of like Indiana/Illinois in college.