Upshaw, Mercilus, Poe, or Worthy?

Which guy to you take if this scenario unfolds?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=488699

From that fine thread, where there was a nationwide vote for each spot #1-#32, this is how the board shaped up during our pick at #28.

If this happens and each of these guys are available as this poll went, which guy would you select?

These comments from Scott Wright, who has Poe going at #11 to KC.
He has Upshaw going #16 to the NYJ.
he has Worthy going #25 to Denver.
He has Mercilus going #38 to Jacksonville.
In the above thread scenario, these 4 guys were all available.
Cast your vote here before seeing that result.

DONTARI POE

Dontari Poe is a massive 346 pound space-eater in the middle but is also surprisingly athletic, quick and agile. Those freakish physical tools were on full display at the Scouting Combine, where Poe stunned evaluators by running a 4.98 forty yard dash and throwing up 44 reps in the bench press. In addition to being able to play nose tackle in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, Poe could also see action as a defensive end in an odd front and that versatility will only add to his value. Gets knocked for a lack of production but posted similar tackles for a loss / sack numbers as Haloti Ngata, B.J. Raji and Phil Taylor at the same point in their careers --- Could project to nose tackle in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme and could also play the five-technique in an odd front --- Extraordinary physical specimen with truly rare blend of size / strength / athleticism.
-NFL Player Comparison: B.J. Raji

COURTNEY UPSHAW
Alabama’s Courtney Upshaw doesn’t have the ideal length or speed that you look for but that didn't stop the Crimson Tide star from racking up 31.5 tackles for a loss and 15.5 sacks against elite SEC competition the past two years. Upshaw is simply a great football player with a knack for being in the right place at the right time and would be a perfect fit in the Jets scheme. Classic 'tweener who doesn't have all the ideal physical tools that you would prefer and may slide a bit on Draft Day as a result but is just a good football player who gets the job done.
-NFL Player Comparison: Tamba Hali

JEREL WORTHY
Michigan St. DT Jerel Worthy certainly looks the part and at his best can be a dominant force as a pass rusher and run stopper. Unfortunately Worthy doesn’t always play up to his immense talent level, which is why he will likely be available late in the first round. He took over against Wisconsin and their stable of great offensive linemen. He's capable of dominating at times and has the ability to get to the QB from the DL, which is a valuable commodity. Has all the talent in the world and looks dominant at times but is still too inconsistent --- Needs to be pushed and motivated but has the physical tools to be a dynamic presence on the interior in the NFL.
-NFL Player Comparison: Corey Liuget

WHITNEY MERCILUS
A one-year wonder with good size, speed and athleticism to upgrade lackluster pass rush. Also being looked at as a potential 3-4 outside linebacker --- A one-year wonder who is not quite the top prospect that the stat sheet might otherwise suggest --- Possesses some intriguing physical tools and intangibles and has starter potential but will require development.
-NFL Player Comparison: Derrick Harvey

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upshaw is falling and may even slip out of the first round. Poe has great size but doesn't always play up to it. Some say he has the greatest likelihood to go bust. Either Mercilius or Worthy.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I originally wanted Worthy, but I have had my fill of fat 3-4 linemen that just occupy space and take up blockers. In addition, watching MSU games here in Michigan, he seemed to me to be a bit on the lazy side. Give me Mercilus. The talk is about his potential and the needed development, however the same was said about Matthews when the Packers drafted him.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Poe. Something about a combination of Raji, Pickett, Poe in base packages is intriguing. Although it probably wouldn't be the wisest of picks because it may be tough to keep him and Raji on the field in non-base packages. Although if Poe is as advertised, he would get plenty of push up the middle. It would be fun to see, for sure.

Darth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poe = Kung Fu Panda

It would be awesome to have a huge 340 lb guy nicknamed "Kung Fu Panda" making tackles and sacking quarterbacks.

Imagine Joe Buck and Troy Aikman commentating "and Kung Fu Panda uses his wushi-finger spin move to get another sack"....priceless

Just sayin.....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which was the most dominate in college when he wanted to be?

IMO worthy but I didn't see many others in person.

If you can have your way with the badgers o line I have confidence you can do the same in the nfl