UEFA Champions League

Schmidi23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the crappiest TV channels in Germany. Still good if you want to watch the Bundesliga Goals sunday morning :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Champions League brings out the wierdest reports from the press. Apparently they reported that Benatia wasn't going to play because he forgot his passport. He's still recovering from injury and claims that the passport has nothing to do with it. Why would they report something like that? Strange.....

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
One of the crappiest TV channels in Germany. Still good if you want to watch the Bundesliga Goals sunday morning :D

And who didn't love those round table rants from Uli Hoeness? Oops! I digress!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoeness took the chance to put the boot in after he fired Klinsmann.
Klinsmann must have complained before that he never got the chance to pull through his concept as nobody was supporting him. And Uli H. says the opposite was the case as there has never been a manager at Bayern before with more power than Klinsmann. And that they fulfilled all his wishes and even more. For example by signing Landon Donovan who wasn't even good enough for their 2nd/U23 team.
And so on and so on.....:D Quite entertaining.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Whew. Benfica played a good scrappy game and never gave up. A lot of errant passes on the part of Bayern and some sloppy play, but enough to move on. I still like Jupp's system better. With Pep's system, in my opinion, there is too much fiddling around when they should be driving toward the goal.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Atletico are a team you would not want to play against......dogged never say die attitude.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Atletico are a team you would not want to play against......dogged never say die attitude.

Truth be told, I'm not sure I want to see Bayern against any of the other three finalists at this point. Real Madrid is, of course, peaking at the right time. You mentioned Atletico's tenacity, and Man City is surprising almost everyone. (At least Pep will be Man City's problem next year. ;))

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Truth be told, I'm not sure I want to see Bayern against any of the other three finalists at this point. Real Madrid is, of course, peaking at the right time. You mentioned Atletico's tenacity, and Man City is surprising almost everyone. (At least Pep will be Man City's problem next year. ;))
If Man City happen to play Bavaria their tails will be up to prove the the new coach wrong, because from what i hear he is going to move on alot of them when he arrives.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
If Man City happen to play Bavaria their tails will be up to prove the the new coach wrong, because from what i hear he is going to move on alot of them when he arrives.

That seems to be his way. It looks like both City and Man U are going to go into a spending war this off season. I expect Pep will bring in guys for his system with all the cash that is floating about.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I've been watching the ESPNFC Crew discuss the Champions League. I have to listen real close to Craig Burley in order to understand him. I like his thoughts and his accent, it's cool. But I have to listen close because it isn't something I'm not accustomed to hearing.

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
That seems to be his way. It looks like both City and Man U are going to go into a spending war this off season. I expect Pep will bring in guys for his system with all the cash that is floating about.

Hard to know what is going to happen. There is still a lot to play for currently. And I think that those results will have a bearing on the decisions made. One extreme has City as defending CL winners. The other is the Europa League.

(admittedly I don't give a toss about the Rags)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Hard to know what is going to happen. There is still a lot to play for currently. And I think that those results will have a bearing on the decisions made. One extreme has City as defending CL winners. The other is the Europa League.

(admittedly I don't give a toss about the Rags)

I've been googling why you guys call them the Rags. It seems there isn't total agreement on the internet. Does anyone know the real story?

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I've been googling why you guys call them the Rags. It seems there isn't total agreement on the internet. Does anyone know the real story?
In the 30's - 40's they were going through a somewhat fallow period to put it lightly, they were on their knees financially so they had no option to play in borrowed cheap quality shirts, shorts, etc hence the nickname the rags.

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score

They are known is some circles at the Reds. Rags is just a derogatory version of the same. Anyway.. that is how I understand it.

----
PF71 is correct though. Funny that.

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
In the 30's - 40's they were going through a somewhat fallow period to put it lightly, they were on their knees financially so they had no option to play in borrowed cheap quality shirts, shorts, etc hence the nickname the rags.

Your posting of that Zola pic brought back many memories. Not all of them pleasant. He was a player I loved and despised almost equally. Back then when someone was asked why Chelsea was referred to as the Blues, I chimed in by saying that it is because of all of the Italians on their side. :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
In more Champions League news; Xabi Alonso says Real Madrid can beat anyone over two legs. Doesn't look like Bayern have a lot of confidence in themselves at this point.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
They are known is some circles at the Reds. Rags is just a derogatory version of the same. Anyway.. that is how I understand it.

----
PF71 is correct though. Funny that.
I think i have been rumbled as the hiding in plain sight Manure fan NOT! :eek::laugh: Rags as you said is just a derogatory term, there was a huge textile industry there at one point so i guess its related to that aswell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Your posting of that Zola pic brought back many memories. Not all of them pleasant. He was a player I loved and despised almost equally. Back then when someone was asked why Chelsea was referred to as the Blues, I chimed in by saying that it is because of all of the Italians on their side. :D
Your not the first to say that, followed by little S*** - Arsenal and Liverpool fans mostly. :D

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I think i have been rumbled as the hiding in plain sight Manure fan NOT! :eek::laugh: Rags as you said is just a derogatory term, there was a huge textile industry there at one point so i guess its related to that aswell.

They did have that kit last year that had the look of dish towels.

Members online

No members online now.