Types of Leadership

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is fair to say that different people have different talents, and that different talents are needed at various stages of a company's/team's life. If we can agree on this simple premise, then we are off to a good start.

Mike Sherman walked into chaos and lended stability at a time when it was dearly needed. It is a great testament to him that he was able to correct what he inherited so quickly. He brought a calming influence into a potentially volatile situation and has reaped benefits in the process.

What do we need now? Are his skills the one's this team needs right now?

The modern player is not what most of us grew up with...the self-motivated guy that eats, breathes and sleeps football. Nope, what we have is the MTV generation...many of whom are ONLY in it for the money, chicks and fame that it can bring THEM...not the general good of the team.

To that end, I do not know that MS has the skills appropriate to inspire these guys. I mean, let's face it, this team has a history of coming out flat and unmotivated during his tenure...some motivation is clearly needed. Whether that is busting heads, or sitting players, I do not know. But it is becoming clear to me that his leadership style has begun to fall on deaf ears. I think MS is an inherently decent and nice guy, I just don't see decent and nice getting the job done.

Add to that a sense of complacency or misplaced loyalty to coaches and players who do not perform, and you have a sinking ship in the making.

We are taking on water fast these days.

Questions, comments, *****ing...all welcome on this thought.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
To that end, I do not know that MS has the skills appropriate to inspire these guys. I mean, let's face it, this team has a history of coming out flat and unmotivated during his tenure...some motivation is clearly needed. Whether that is busting heads, or sitting players, I do not know. But it is becoming clear to me that his leadership style has begun to fall on deaf ears. I think MS is an inherently decent and nice guy, I just don't see decent and nice getting the job done.

he doesn't...

alright i'll give sherman a little bit of credit...he can give us a winning season IF the ingredients are there for the pack to win...this year, the packers have a lot of holes, and i don't think mike sherman is the man who can bring this team together in this time of need...certainly he gets a chance this year (and only this year), but i dont think he can do it...

EVEN IF you're one of the people who thinks sherman should take little or none of the blame, a change is needed, is it easier to get rid of a few dozen players, or one coach?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It sucks players need to be motivated, I think being in the NFL should be enough motivation for any athlete, unfortunately that is not the case and players need to be motivated at times and I really don't think Sherman is that kind of a coach. honestly I don't know how many of those kick in ur pants type coachs we have on the team.

Maybe Bates? He seems to get after guys when they mess up and congrats them when they make a good play. Personally I think thats how it should be.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
It sucks players need to be motivated, I think being in the NFL should be enough motivation for any athlete, unfortunately that is not the case and players need to be motivated at times and I really don't think Sherman is that kind of a coach. honestly I don't know how many of those kick in ur pants type coachs we have on the team.

Players motivation reflect their leader's attitudes

whenever CBS zoomed in on Mike Sherman he had his head down, shaking it in disgust, he's gotta be enthusiastic till the bitter end, or his team is going ot play like there is no hope much like sherman's body language always seems to be giving off

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman just strikes me as the "calming influence" type leader...this team needs a kick in the *** type leader.

I am sorry, but if I were a player under Mike Sherman and he had us huddling up with less than 5 minutes and we need multiple scores, I come away with the impression that he gave up on the game and the players by making that call. I WOULD admire a guy who had us scrambling with urgency, even in defeat.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Sherman just strikes me as the "calming influence" type leader...this team needs a kick in the *** type leader.

I am sorry, but if I were a player under Mike Sherman and he had us huddling up with less than 5 minutes and we need multiple scores, I come away with the impression that he gave up on the game and the players by making that call. I WOULD admire a guy who had us scrambling with urgency, even in defeat.

EXACTLY

If I have to lose I wanna be giving best effort to the end to the last tick on the clock.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. I seen the Rah Rah styles down here in Arizona with guys like Dave McGinnis, and that fire and brimstone speech gets old real fast too if you're losing. When players start losing a few in a row, those inspiration speeches get tuned out real fast too. I got tired of the tough guy routine with Forrest Gregg too after every loss.

I agree there are times a team needs a good kick in the butt, and this might be one of those times, but I'm not so sure getting a butt kicker for a coach is going to solve all the problems we have at the moment.

I wouldn't consider Tony Dungy a real motivational coach either.

Maybe Sherman isn't the guy for this team, but I'm more worried about the talent level at the moment than the coaching.

Members online

Latest posts