Ty Montgomery

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really excited about Montgomery going forward. He earned Rodger's trust making some big plays down the stretch and we have seen what he adds to the return game. I know there were doubters when he was picked and some thought things like this, "Montgomery will most likely return kickoffs and maybe punts for the Packers next season. He has terrible hands and I doubt he will ever see snaps at WR." But obviously he is ahead of where people thought. He could be our number 2 guy if Adams misses a game or two. Jones is great in the red zone but not a big factor outside of that.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really excited about Montgomery going forward. He earned Rodger's trust making some big plays down the stretch and we have seen what he adds to the return game. I know there were doubters when he was picked and some thought things like this, "Montgomery will most likely return kickoffs and maybe punts for the Packers next season. He has terrible hands and I doubt he will ever see snaps at WR." But obviously he is ahead of where people thought. He could be our number 2 guy if Adams misses a game or two. Jones is great in the red zone but not a big factor outside of that.
You have nailed it, even though it's early. Rodgers was holding the ball a lot last night. That's due to good coverage and also the trust Rodgers has in the WRs. As you point out, Rodgers went to Ty late. I like that he is a north south runner. Adams gets too cute after the catch. Square up, make a move if necessary, but always move toward the goal line. Ty appears very confident and is built like a truck. I see good things.

Any reports on Adams' injury, or Lacy?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was holding the ball a lot last night. That's due to good coverage
Rogers only survived by buying time with his feet. Seattle only rushes 4 and is very good at pressuring QBs. It's difficult to complete passes against 7 pass defenders covering 5 receivers.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers only survived by buying time with his feet. Seattle only rushes 4 and is very good at pressuring QBs. It's difficult to complete passes against 7 pass defenders covering 5 receivers.
Good point. I don't know that Seattle blitzed at all last night, it was as you stated, a 4 man line with 7 in coverage. That also explains the relative success Starks had running, and Cobb's success on underneath routes. Thanks for a good observation.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle blitzes just 23% of the time last year which was 24th in the NFL. They dont blitz much to begin with and with how Rodgers destroys the blitz they didnt have a ton of reason to do it. He faces a lot of teams dropping into coverage because they want to limit big plays. They did a terrific job taking what the defense gave them last night

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go back and look at the rookie seasons of Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb, you'll note that they did not have big roles in the offense. That came later.

Last year, rookie Davante Adams played quite a bit (in part because Jarrett Boykin dissolved into vapor), although he still didn't start. For Ty Montgomery, currently #4 on the depth chart, I think he'll be brought along slowly, although that may be somewhat accelerated out of necessity. Jordy is gone for the year, Cobb is playing hurt, and Adams is banged up a bit. Montgomery has good size, seems to have good (not great) hands, and he's a Standford grad so he must be smart(!). We'll see how long it takes him to develop route-running skills, and most importantly, earn the trust of number twelve. I'm optimistic, but I'll also be patient.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery has good size, seems to have good (not great) hands, and he's a Standford grad so he must be smart(!). We'll see how long it takes him to develop route-running skills, and most importantly, earn the trust of number twelve. I'm optimistic, but I'll also be patient.

I was concerned about Montgomery´s hands coming out of college but it seems like he hasn´t had any issues with catching the ball since joining the Packers. Rodgers targeting him on three consecutive throws during a crucial drive vs. the Seahawks tells me the rookie has already earned Rodgers´ trust to some degree.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my concern about Montgomery also...hands. But I only got that from the pundits during the draft. He made one very nice catch and looked solid on the others. The Pack is tough to stop if they have all their receivers catching the ball.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All kidding aside about being a Stanford grad (if you were kidding), in spite of missing OTA practices, I remember Van Pelt saying how impressed he was with Montgomery's retention of plays he learned in rookie camp. That was an early indication he was on his way to earning Rodgers' trust. And he translated that into standing out on the field starting in June mini-camps. He'll obviously get more snaps than he would have absent Jordy's injury, but still will likely be brought along (relatively) slowly as Curly Calhoun posted. I remember the concern captainWIMM mentioned about his hands was mostly concerning over-the-shoulder catches but I don't remember seeing one in preseason and the way they're using him my guess is those will be rare. Here's what McGinn had to say about Montgomery vs. the Seahawks:
Rookie Ty Montgomery ran like the running back many scouts portrayed him as, breaking two tackles and falling forward several times. ... Montgomery caught a 5-yard pass in his lone snap out of the backfield, giving foes another wrinkle for which to prepare.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-seahawks-b99580959z1-328602341.html

I saw a couple of 4 WR formations that had Cobb and Montgomery in the slot. As Montgomery gains experience and Rodgers continues to gain trust in him he too will pose a match up problem for opponents. McGinn: "Cobb's insertion at RB for seven plays early in the fourth quarter proved to be a game-changer." Montgomery appears to be following in his footsteps. Scout Sam Seale's description of Montgomery being a "bigger Cobb" is beginning to come to fruition.

I usually avoid looking too far ahead once the season starts, but if Montgomery continues to improve - and makes the jump from year one to year two, imagine a 4 WR set with Jordy and Davante on the outside and Cobb and Montgomery in the slot. At the very least the opponent's fourth best cover guy will have his hands full. Add a healthy OL and Lacy... :D
(Please feel free to rate this post "Optimistic")

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seems to have good (not great) hands,

Not sure what you are basing this on. Has he dropped any that I am not aware of or are you just throwing the "not great" in there because that has been the rap on him. Why not just leave it at "seems to have good hands"

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what you are basing this on. Has he dropped any that I am not aware of or are you just throwing the "not great" in there because that has been the rap on him. Why not just leave it at "seems to have good hands"

I reserve great for guys like, say, Steve Smith in his prime. Also, I watched some of Montgomery's Stanford tape. If you throw him a good pass, he'll likely catch it. If he has to make a spectacular grab, other guys are better at it than he is. Nothing wrong with that - he's just not Larry Fitzgerald. Few are.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He has terrible hands, but is handling punt and kickoff returns ? That doesn't make sense. Just remember how James Jones and Finley were crucified at one time for their drops.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has terrible hands, but is handling punt and kickoff returns ? That doesn't make sense. Just remember how James Jones and Finley were crucified at one time for their drops.

It's way easier to catch a kickoff than a pass from Rodgers though. Hyde is the Packers primary punt returner.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I reserve great for guys like, say, Steve Smith in his prime. Also, I watched some of Montgomery's Stanford tape. If you throw him a good pass, he'll likely catch it. If he has to make a spectacular grab, other guys are better at it than he is. Nothing wrong with that - he's just not Larry Fitzgerald. Few are.
That's a very fair assessment. I haven't seen a problem with drops. Of course he's had limited action so far. With his half back body, he could be dangerous coming out of the backfield into the flat, and certainly on screens. He seems better suited to short passes and then going north south. I expect a lot of his production will be on YAC. He was a pleasant surprise Sunday night. No rookie jitters at all, and seems to have already earned #12's trust. That's not easy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a very fair assessment. I haven't seen a problem with drops. Of course he's had limited action so far. With his half back body, he could be dangerous coming out of the backfield into the flat, and certainly on screens. He seems better suited to short passes and then going north south. I expect a lot of his production will be on YAC. He was a pleasant surprise Sunday night. No rookie jitters at all, and seems to have already earned #12's trust. That's not easy.

I think YAC-potential may be his best asset. He could end up becoming a very productive third-round pick.

H

HardRightEdge

I was concerned about Montgomery´s hands coming out of college but it seems like he hasn´t had any issues with catching the ball since joining the Packers. Rodgers targeting him on three consecutive throws during a crucial drive vs. the Seahawks tells me the rookie has already earned Rodgers´ trust to some degree.
The more specific critique of Montgomery's hands coming out college was his difficulty with deep balls, particularly the ones thrown over his head. The guy has slot/perimeter possession receiver stamped all over him, and probably won't be called upon to run many go routes...at least not this season anyway. James Jones had the same issue...he got over it after a few seasons.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's a link to a good Wilde article about Montgomery. Here's the first sentence: "For everything Ty Montgomery has done right so far, it was after the Green Bay Packers young wide receiver did something wrong that he first really impressed his quarterback." And here's a more recent example of the kid's smarts:
Asked during the week if he felt he’d earned Rodgers’ trust yet, Montgomery again showed he’s smart enough to know what he doesn’t yet know. “I don’t think I’ve been here long enough or played with him enough,” he replied. “That’s not any lack of confidence in me but to build trust, it takes time and it takes reps and experience.”
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=21891&is_corp=1

Yes, the rap on him was finding the ball on over-the-shoulder (or head) deep balls. But I didn't think that would be much of a problem for him. Of course he'll want to work on any deficiency he has catching the ball but the Packers run deep patterns that are "crossing routes" angled toward the EZ. The Rodgers to Nelson play that has worked so well (where Rodgers fakes a handoff and rolls out deep to the right, usually with the FB in front of him) has Nelson angling toward the EZ and not catching it over his head. The TD pass Sunday night to Jones was a similar route - and how great was it that he beat Sherman!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've never seen any of his college tape so I can't argue there and I do agree that there are few Larry Fitzgeralds out there. I don't think it is the way you intended it to come across and I may be the only one who saw it that way but adding the "not great" part just seemed to me to be a subtle at Monty.

I didn't mean to call you out on it and thanks for the civil response and explanation. I think we are all Montgomery fans.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think YAC-potential may be his best asset. He could end up becoming a very productive third-round pick.

It certainly looked like he could lay the hit on the defenders on a few of those. He didn't give up easily that's for sure.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a link to a good Wilde article about Montgomery. Here's the first sentence: "For everything Ty Montgomery has done right so far, it was after the Green Bay Packers young wide receiver did something wrong that he first really impressed his quarterback." And here's a more recent example of the kid's smarts: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=21891&is_corp=1

Yes, the rap on him was finding the ball on over-the-shoulder (or head) deep balls. But I didn't think that would be much of a problem for him. Of course he'll want to work on any deficiency he has catching the ball but the Packers run deep patterns that are "crossing routes" angled toward the EZ. The Rodgers to Nelson play that has worked so well (where Rodgers fakes a handoff and rolls out deep to the right, usually with the FB in front of him) has Nelson angling toward the EZ and not catching it over his head. The TD pass Sunday night to Jones was a similar route - and how great was it that he beat Sherman!
The part about the angle of the ball on the deep throw is brilliant. I could visualize the "Jordy Play" perfectly while reading. The over the shoulder catch is the most difficult and can be tough for even the most seasoned of wideouts. The typical deep ball you speak of is a much easier catch as the WR has his eyes on it the entire way. It's hard to not be excited about Ty's future after his showing on that stage Sunday Night. The stage in no way looked too big for him and looked completely comfortable during his limited offensive snaps. The play that got me (and many others) mos excited was when Bobby Wagner tried to square him up and literally bounded off him as if he were a ragdoll. I mean BW is a top level linebacker and 88 ran through him like he was a flea. The raw athleticism this kid has is going to present many a problem for defenses as the year goes on. Hopefully we can stay relatively healthy from hear out and keep this thing rolling. If we can do just that and these youngsters keep progressing our boys are gonna be one helluva out come PO time. Great win on many levels and great post TJV. G P G!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never seen any of his college tape so I can't argue there and I do agree that there are few Larry Fitzgeralds out there. I don't think it is the way you intended it to come across and I may be the only one who saw it that way but adding the "not great" part just seemed to me to be a subtle at Monty.

I didn't mean to call you out on it and thanks for the civil response and explanation. I think we are all Montgomery fans.

No harm, no foul. Go Pack Go!

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play that got me (and many others) mos excited was when Bobby Wagner tried to square him up and literally bounded off him as if he were a ragdoll. I mean BW is a top level linebacker and 88 ran through him like he was a flea.

This, right here. I was wondering how many people noticed this. Wagner thought he was going to light Montgomery up with typical poor tackling flying shoulder blow and it was like Wagner hit a brick wall. That was really a sight to see.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty is a beast, I hope he keeps getting involved. Rodgers puts balls on the money and helps any Reciever looks better than maybe other QBs would. I'd like to see us getting some bigger leads and see Janis getting some reps too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts