Ty Montgomery

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He is built like a truck with one of the strongest lower bodies you'll see on a wide receiver. Also possesses great flexibility and all this coupled with his size makes him a really interesting athlete. It gets even more interesting when he was thought to be one of the fastest players coming out of the Pac-10 this year and then he ran a 4.5 40. Classic example of football speed. Don't be fooled he's fast; but he'll also hit you.

I've heard him compared to a stronger, more physical Randall Cobb and while I'm not a complete fan of the comparison for a few reasons I've found it to at least draw a starting point. I think he could be the Packers lunch pail guy getting snaps at a number of positions similar to Cobb early in his career including receiver, returner and a much better version of Randall Cobb out of the backfield. Excited about this guy.

Attachments

• 20150319_113421.jpg
    20150319_113421.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 3,014

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's going to be our swiss army knife. I'm looking forward to see how the coaches use him.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have so much trust in this guy behind roger's that I added him to my fantasy lineup. rogers will make an average receiver good, he will make a good receiver great, a great receiver Nelson.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I "Loved" the Montgomery pick from the get go despite some on the nay sayers on here. TT knows how to draft receivers and the organization is probably the best at developing young receiver talent. Throw in Aaron Rodgers at QB and Montgomery is pure "upside" IMO. He is a NFL body receiver and I laughed when some questioned his hands.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's a link to a good Wilde article about Montgomery. Here's the first sentence: "For everything Ty Montgomery has done right so far, it was after the Green Bay Packers young wide receiver did something wrong that he first really impressed his quarterback." And here's a more recent example of the kid's smarts: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=21891&is_corp=1

Yes, the rap on him was finding the ball on over-the-shoulder (or head) deep balls. But I didn't think that would be much of a problem for him. Of course he'll want to work on any deficiency he has catching the ball but the Packers run deep patterns that are "crossing routes" angled toward the EZ. The Rodgers to Nelson play that has worked so well (where Rodgers fakes a handoff and rolls out deep to the right, usually with the FB in front of him) has Nelson angling toward the EZ and not catching it over his head. The TD pass Sunday night to Jones was a similar route - and how great was it that he beat Sherman!
If Montgomery is going to play wideout as opposed to slot, at some point he'll need to demonstrate he can execute a go route, otherwise corners will cheat to the inside. Nelson's post routes, skinny or deep, are available because he can kill you on the go route, particularly with that double move and his long speed. And then there's the sideline back shoulder where he cuts off the go route. Corners have to play Nelson straight up in man coverage.

Unless Montgomery can present a deep threat, or unless he turns out to be the second coming of Anquan Boldin, a possession receiver who remains largely unsolved over 13 seasons, he'll need to threaten with the deep ball to realize his potential as a wideout. On many other teams he'd be a good option out of the slot, but there is a very good and very expensive player there already.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I "Loved" the Montgomery pick from the get go despite some on the nay sayers on here. TT knows how to draft receivers and the organization is probably the best at developing young receiver talent. Throw in Aaron Rodgers at QB and Montgomery is pure "upside" IMO. He is a NFL body receiver and I laughed when some questioned his hands.
So here's a good question, regarding drafting good WR's, the Packers seem to draft good ones.......or since getting Favre, and now Rodgers does our QB's make good WR's. Seems to me we bring guys in, they flourish, then they leave a struggle many times.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not everyone we draft is a good receiver. The QB helps a lot but you gotta have the tools. I think Thompson has a good eye for them.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Montgomery is going to play wideout as opposed to slot, at some point he'll need to demonstrate he can execute a go route, otherwise corners will cheat to the inside. Nelson's post routes, skinny or deep, are available because he can kill you on the go route, particularly with that double move and his long speed. And then there's the sideline back shoulder where he cuts off the go route. Corners have to play Nelson straight up in man coverage.

Unless Montgomery can present a deep threat, or unless he turns out to be the second coming of Anquan Boldin, a possession receiver who remains largely unsolved over 13 seasons, he'll need to threaten with the deep ball to realize his potential as a wideout. On many other teams he'd be a good option out of the slot, but there is a very good and very expensive player there already.

I don't see why he couldn't be a Boldin-esque type player. He's built like a brick $*%#house.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, he's built like a (slightly) bigger Sterling Sharpe. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see why he couldn't be a Boldin-esque type player. He's built like a brick $*%#house.
I said he's a Boldinesque player in a few respects...I said he's got slot/perimeter possession receiver stamped all over him, or as one Packer scout put it, he's a bigger Randall Cobb. Montgomery and Boldin are both built like running backs and are at the high end of the physicality spectrum as WRs go. Why do you think I brought Boldin into the conversation?

But how much "esque" is there in this comparison?

They are quite different in athletic measurables. Montgomery is faster at 4.5 vs Boldin at 4.7. Montgomery's vertical and broad jumps (40 1/2", 10' 1") in combination are exceptional compared to Boldin's mundane (33 1/2", 9'6"). And what do we make of Boldin's slow shuttle and 3-cone numbers? I don't know Boldin's hand size, but Montgomery's are 10 1/4", quite large especially for a 6' 0" man, for whatever that's worth.

As Buddy Ryan famously said of Chris Carter, "all he does is catch touchdowns", we might say of Boldin, "all he does is catch passes". There's a rare, secret sauce at work with this guy with UDFA measurables that cannot be broken down into components; he's slow, can't jump, he's not tall, and he's never presented much of a downfield threat, while yielding 12,502 yds., 71 TDs, and still counting while coming up big in a Super Bowl run.

What are the odds that Montgomery will present such rare secret sauce? Slim to none. But it's not an all-or-nothing proposition...where will he fall on the spectrum?

Then there's that top drawer athleticism. What do we make of that? First, I'd like to see how that vertical jump translates to a 20 yard back shoulder. Not that I'm especially interested in getting 20 yards on one play, though that's always nice. Rather the ability to make that play evidences important things transferable to a variety of throws...body control, catch radius, ball recognition, sideline recognition, reading the defender, physicality off his feet on a contested ball, QB chemistry...a special sauce all it's own. And then there's the question of his ability to catch a ball over his head...in the likely scenario where he will not score high on the Boldin-possesion-special-sauce spectrum, he'll need to pose some kind of deep threat to be the highly productive receiver that fans wish to project.

I liked this draft pick. But at this stage he's still just a draft pick with potential, perhaps playing out of position. I'll reserve judgement until there is more evidence to evaluate. There's a ton more to being an NFL WR than knocking Bobby Wagner off balance, but it is a good indication of the physical element of his game.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Yes, he's built like a (slightly) bigger Sterling Sharpe. ;)
Wouldn't that be nice. ;)

If we see Montgomery making a catch like the one at the 5:15 mark in the following tape, with that ability opening the slant against off coverage on the subsequent play in that tape, then the conversation can get more serious.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So here's a good question, regarding drafting good WR's, the Packers seem to draft good ones.......or since getting Favre, and now Rodgers does our QB's make good WR's. Seems to me we bring guys in, they flourish, then they leave a struggle many times.

Yes, IMO are system and having A-Rodge plays a huge part in the success of our receivers. Don't get me wrong. Jordy is one of my favorite players on the team but when he went down I didn't go into "cliff jumping" like some did. Obviously there are some things Jordy can do that others on are team can't but with this system and offense it just "keeps on trucking" with Mr. Rodgers. IMO keeping offensive line in order is more important then receivers. Hence the Seahawks game where going into it I was more worried about not having Bulaga then Jordy going into it.

I would compare us kind of to New England and Brady in this regard as plugging in receivers.

And once again Montgomery is the perfect mix of size and speed to fit in this offense. TT just keeps re-loading them,

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery is going to be a fantastic pro. The kid looks like a professional body builder yet doesn't have the typical stiffness which typically accompanies such a physique. He can do a little bit of everything which is going to create problems for defenses for years to come. He is like most of the Packer receivers the past 20 years in that he has this calm, professional demeanor about him opposed to the sadly expected "me, me, me" type receiver the league has produced for decades. Tremendously gifted, humble, hard-working, smart, multi-purpose, young and hungry. The fact he plays in a system and with a QB that can fully exploit all of his attributes makes him a player to keep your eyes on and expect bug things from. I truly believe the sky is the limit for this kid and there's plenty of evidence to support such a claim. Keep your nose in the playbook and in 12's good graces because if you do one hechuva career is on the horizon for you Mr. Montgomery. Yet another fantastic value pic by TT that will yield fruit for years to come!

BTW, Pack struggles early tonight but pulls away winning 30-20. G P G!

Members online

Latest posts