Two 1,000 yard running backs this year

Reaction score
Um, teams run the ball more to eat clock when they are winning and throw the ball more when they are losing.
Of course there are outliers but teams don't win consistently in the NFL by running the ball on the majority of plays anymore.
I'm not sure if you two realized you agreed with each other and said the exact opposite thing??
I had to read this over like 3 times because I honestly thought I read it wrong the first 2 times

I guess heads we lose tails you win! ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure if you two realized you agreed with each other and said the exact opposite thing??
I had to read this over like 3 times because I honestly thought I read it wrong the first 2 times

I guess heads we lose tails you win! ;)

You just don't understand it. While teams that are winning run the ball more often (actually to take time of the clock and not because it's more successful) only five teams that won this week had more rushing than passing attempts.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just don't understand it. While teams that are winning run the ball more often (actually to take time of the clock and not because it's more successful) only five teams that won this week had more rushing than passing attempts.
And no matter what we average; we cannot run the ball consistently in the first half. Our line is just not good enough run blockers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And no matter what we average; we cannot run the ball consistently in the first half. Our line is just not good enough run blockers.

Our best current run blocking OL situation to me is actually if the right side was Myers, Newman, Yosh. Newman and Yosh have done well run blocking and at times have excelled at it. JRJ is more inconsistent in it and a much better pass blocker....as is Bakh if healthy...but BIG if.

With the way it is now Tom run blocked very well in the preseason but we haven't seen him lay down actual game footage if he can duplicate that. This OL woes become so so much better should Jenkins or Bakh come back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately the offensive line without Bakhtiari and Jenkins struggle in pass protection as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the offensive line without Bakhtiari and Jenkins struggle in pass protection as well.
Stands to reason when you have 2 pro bowl calibre players on the shelf. We're not anywhere close to being in as bad a situation on the o-line as some of the teams in the league. There are some really serious problems out there that are going to wreck some teams seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stands to reason when you have 2 pro bowl calibre players on the shelf. We're not anywhere close to being in as bad a situation on the o-line as some of the teams in the league. There are some really serious problems out there that are going to wreck some teams seasons.

Agreed with the bold part as long as Bakhtiari and Jenkins are able to return within the next couple games. Otherwise there might not be a whole lot teams out there in a worse situation on the offensive line.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed with the bold part as long as Bakhtiari and Jenkins are able to return within the next couple games. Otherwise there might not be a whole lot teams out there in a worse situation on the offensive line.
Maybe not, but I have faith in our coaches until they prove otherwise that the young guys will continue to get better.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm beginning to think Bahk has maybe played his last down of pro football. Hope I'm wrong.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think Bahk has maybe played his last down of pro football. Hope I'm wrong.
Hope you're wrong too but I'm starting to feel the same.

At this point I'm more or less expecting that he's done and will be pleasantly surprised if he gets back out there.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope you're wrong too but I'm starting to feel the same.

At this point I'm more or less expecting that he's done and will be pleasantly surprised if he gets back out there.

I think Bakh is done.

Nearly 2 years removed from injury.

To literally add insult to injury (for some fans), he was given a huge deal and a huge signing bonus.

GB didn't even draft a LT in the earlier rounds in 2021 or 2022. SMH.

Jenkins is the future and needs to be retained. Hopefully, GB doesn't fumble the opportunity.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB didn't even draft a LT in the earlier rounds in 2021 or 2022. SMH.

This is not true.

Cole Van Lanen was a three year I believe (two if not) year Left Tackle for Wisconsin.
Sean Rhyan was a starting left tackle for UCLA multiple years.
Zach Tom same as above for the Deacons
Rasheed Walker same as above two for the Nittany Lions

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not true.

Cole Van Lanen was a three year I believe (two if not) year Left Tackle for Wisconsin.
Sean Rhyan was a starting left tackle for UCLA multiple years.
Zach Tom same as above for the Deacons
Rasheed Walker same as above two for the Nittany Lions
Think "earlier rounds" is probably the operative bit there.

Only one of these players (Rhyan) were drafted in the top-half of the draft.
Van Lanen 6/214
Rhyan 3/92
Tom 4/140
Walker 7/249

Guess it depends on your definition of "earlier rounds" but I wouldn't consider a 6th, a 7th, and a late 4th-round pick to fit that criteria personally (and I would not describe a late 3rd as particularly "early" either but can see how others would)

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think "earlier rounds" is probably the operative bit there.

Only one of these players (Rhyan) were drafted in the top-half of the draft.
Van Lanen 6/214
Rhyan 3/92
Tom 4/140
Walker 7/249

Guess it depends on your definition of "earlier rounds" but I wouldn't consider a 6th, a 7th, and a late 4th-round pick to fit that criteria personally (and I would not describe a late 3rd as particularly "early" either but can see how others would)

Yes sir.

Please bring back the "target" emoji!!!

Reaction score
No I get that part and by itself it’s true. But most teams don’t rush for 6.2 per carry! Do you realize that our running game nearly matched our passing game in per receptions vs Vikings? If you throw a complete pass in bounds it takes roughly the same time as a run in bounds. So mixing in more runs before the last drive or so is imperative. You can also use the sideline under 5 minutes in each half (But don’t pull a Dalvin Cook and run out of bounds when you are Winning!!) stupid play there.

GB vs Vikings was a situational game where we were 13 or less points down most of the game and we had plenty of time until their final FG. The combination of AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones Running just 15 times is MIND BOGGLING. Had we run 15 more times AJ+AJ would’ve had 190 ground yards not including the rest of our team. It was the ONLY part of our game that was working and we all but completely ignored it.

There was No excuse for abandoning our running game when it was a 13 point deficit for most of the game and more than a quarter to play. Also the best way to slow a fast paced hand is to keep their Offense on the sideline, tire their Defense, rest your Defense and not to go 3 and out and hand the ball back 60 sec later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% we fired Fat Mike bc he would never run the ball

Run. The. Ball

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe not, but I have faith in our coaches until they prove otherwise that the young guys will continue to get better.

While the young guys might get better over the course of the season I don't believe there's enough talent on the offensive line to overcome Bakhtiari and Jenkins not being able to play in the long run.

No I get that part and by itself it’s true. But most teams don’t rush for 6.2 per carry! Do you realize that our running game nearly matched our passing game in per receptions vs Vikings? If you throw a complete pass in bounds it takes roughly the same time as a run in bounds. So mixing in more runs before the last drive or so is imperative. You can also use the sideline under 5 minutes in each half (But don’t pull a Dalvin Cook and run out of bounds when you are Winning!!) stupid play there.

GB vs Vikings was a situational game where we were 13 or less points down most of the game and we had plenty of time until their final FG. The combination of AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones Running just 15 times is MIND BOGGLING. Had we run 15 more times AJ+AJ would’ve had 190 ground yards not including the rest of our team. It was the ONLY part of our game that was working and we all but completely ignored it.

There was No excuse for abandoning our running game when it was a 13 point deficit for most of the game and more than a quarter to play. Also the best way to slow a fast paced hand is to keep their Offense on the sideline, tire their Defense, rest your Defense and not to go 3 and out and hand the ball back 60 sec later.

Maybe you've missed it but I stated repeatedly that I would have liked the Packers to run the ball more often vs. the Vikings.

Reaction score
While the young guys might get better over the course of the season I don't believe there's enough talent on the offensive line to overcome Bakhtiari and Jenkins not being able to play in the long run.

Maybe you've missed it but I stated repeatedly that I would have liked the Packers to run the ball more often vs. the Vikings.
Ok ok. I might’ve missed that. I’m not suggesting running to a fault. Yet when it’s working we have to stick with it is all. If we’re getting 2.5 a carry by all means revert back to passing etc..
@Vikings was a game where we knew we were dinged up and relatively inexperienced at Receiver. You got a TE that’s coming off an ACL, 2 Rookie WR’s never played an NFL snap and a WR who is you primary option out altogether! Duh! That’s a recipe for passing game troubles.

So what I meant was just mix in more running is all. We should’ve done that anyway early in the season regardless of Lazard as a global approach. At least until we get some continuity with these young guys.

I did like we passed to the RB’s more, but we missed about
10-15 rushing attempts in this one

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok ok. I might’ve missed that. I’m not suggesting running to a fault. Yet when it’s working we have to stick with it is all. If we’re getting 2.5 a carry by all means revert back to passing etc..
@Vikings was a game where we knew we were dinged up and relatively inexperienced at Receiver. You got a TE that’s coming off an ACL, 2 Rookie WR’s never played an NFL snap and a WR who is you primary option out altogether! Duh! That’s a recipe for passing game troubles.

So what I meant was just mix in more running is all. We should’ve done that anyway early in the season regardless of Lazard as a global approach. At least until we get some continuity with these young guys.

I did like we passed to the RB’s more, but we missed about
10-15 rushing attempts in this one

There's absolutely no doubt that it was a mistake to drop back 43 times to throw the ball while running it only 18 times vs. the Vikings.

The point I was trying to make is that most teams don't have the personnel to be successful while running the ball on more than 50% of the plays consistently.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Da bears fit that bill

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Da bears fit that bill
Yep, and Dallas and Tampa are getting dangerously close due to injuries. Most teams are two injuries away from being in a very precarious position offensively.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exact numbers aside, we had

~68%+ passing attempts 39+ (4 sacks also)
~32% rushing attempts 18

In Week 1 versus the Vikings

Ideally. It's more like 55/60% passing and 40/45%+ rushing... something like that

The D, as J'aire pointed out in interviews, obviously needs to find that "sweet spot" long term vs MantoMan vs Zone coverage, especially when you face someone like Justin Jefferson but that's on them to figure out

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50/50 Pass/Run Ratio.... I wonder if they read these lol

With Jones and Dillon, you ABSOLUTELY want to be around 40/45% Run and 55/60% Pass... and then just let AR do his thing, be efficient, accurate, a playmaker, don't turn it over, etc...

Interesting as I predicted too, this OL is a MUCH BETTER Run Blocking, Road Grading OL without Bahk and Jenkins...also less pressure on them to run block than pass block

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bumping this.

To be fair, it took a while to get the right OL combo. This isn't Madden where you can just "plug and chug"

Bahk, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Yosh

Also, some Chicken and Egg - we needed a true DEEP threat to open it up too to keep defenses back - so its a good thing that Watson had his coming out party

If he can continue to learn the offense and CATCH - Watson will be uncoverable

Members online

Latest posts