TT Philosophy

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happened to flip past NFL Live recently and stopped to listen because they were discussing the Packers. While mentioning that Green Bay had the least activity in free agency yet again, the analyst said this about the Packers philosophy under TT has been:

"Drafted players are the most loyal type of players, the players that really do try to protect the colors of that organization, and are willing to go the extra mile for that organization."

It's an interesting twist on the draft and develop concept, to focus on the loyalty gained from draft "home grown" players.

D

Deleted member 6794

I happened to flip past NFL Live recently and stopped to listen because they were discussing the Packers. While mentioning that Green Bay had the least activity in free agency yet again, the analyst said this about the Packers philosophy under TT has been:

"Drafted players are the most loyal type of players, the players that really do try to protect the colors of that organization, and are willing to go the extra mile for that organization."

It's an interesting twist on the draft and develop concept, to focus on the loyalty gained from draft "home grown" players.

While there might be some truth to it you have to realize that most Super Bowl winning teams had free agents contributing in a big way for them (Woodson and Pickett for the Packers in 2010).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I didn't hear the broadcast, but I think there is a lot to be said about the value of a player that is familiar with the organization. This includes becoming familiar with the coaches, teammates, playbook, terminology and even the city of Green Bay. NFL teams invest a lot financially and timewise to developing a player from a college prospect to an NFL caliber player that fits their system. This value is one I think TT and Co. have a very good feel for. I think the guys we see the Packers let go or make little or no effort into resigning, are guys who just don't seem to fit the Packers system/needs or their market price is to steep for what the Packers feel they contribute. As we have also seen, many of these players go elsewhere and don't do as well in another system. So while a guy like James Jones isn't as valuable to other teams, his knowledge and familiarity of the Packers last year made him more valuable in GB. John Kuhn is another example of a player that specifically fit the Packers system and needs during his career.

That all being said, there are always special players like Julius Peppers, Charles Woodson and probably Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson or Clay Matthews, that no matter where they play, they will be the best at what they do. I think a team needs a corp group of players like that to be successful. But with the salary cap limitations, its hard to build an entire team full of them, so you have to rely on the "homegrown" players to fill a majority of the teams roster and hopefully they blossom and contribute at the right time.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts