TT a drafter for backups??

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As so many talk about da draaaft and its influence on a teams success, I had a look at drafthistory.com. Interesting site, a lot to learn.
The following article is about wasting draft- picks by teams from 1999 to 2003. Wasn't TT responsible from 2000 to 2004 for the Seahawks' draft?

Players out of NFL 12/47
Starters 9/47
Backups 21/47
Players on team 30/47
Players on other teams 5/47

Has anybody the numbers of 2004??

article

How about 2006? :-? :-?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, he had influence in the draft decisions, but Mike Holmgren had final say on personnel....until he was stripped of those responsibilities.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren lost his job as General manager of the Seahawks. However, I think, he retained his job as HC and is still in full command of the Seahawk football operations. That was a problem with the first GM the Seahawks hired after Holmgren (he didn't get along with Holmgren)and GM was fired. Holmgren was in charge of the Seahawks draft and Ted Thompson was his chief advisor but you can bet Mike Holmgren made the final decisions.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Note how many 2nd 3rd, up to 7th round draft choices he brought in helped the team... ..They made playoffs in 88, then didn't go again until 99...2003 10-6 and playoffs, 2004 9-7 and playoffs...They will make the playoffs this year too...With more then a handful of players he brought in...

Overseeing Seattle's draft board from 2000 through '04, Thompson selected players that accounted for 51.7 percent of the Seahawks' starts in 2004, when the 9-7 club captured the NFC West championship. Furthermore, after his five Seattle drafts, 30 of 47 selected players have started at least one Seahawks game, and only three of those 47 did not make Seattle's 53-man roster. And, 31 remained on the roster at the end of the '04 campaign. Overall, eight of those players have earned all-rookie, All-Pro or Pro Bowl honors.

8 out of 47 players made all pro or all rookie...Tell me that isnt a nice stat??

The Seahawks advanced to the playoffs each of the past two seasons with many players Thompson acquired through the draft, including 11 of 22 starters in the team's 2004 first-round game.

RB Shaun Alexander (first round, 19th overall, 2000). Thompson's first selection, now a two-time Pro Bowler; supplanted established starter Ricky Watters and over the last two seasons (2003-04) leads the league in rushing yards (3,131), helping Seattle to the NFC's fourth-best record in that span. Fell 1 yard shy of 2004 NFL rushing title.

WR Alex Bannister (fifth round, 140th overall, 2002). Pro Bowl selection as special teams player in 2003.

K Josh Brown (seventh round, 222nd overall, 2003). Nailed 45 of first 55 NFL field-goal attempts (81.8 percent), including an NFC-best 92.0 percent (23 of 25) in 2004.

G Steve Hutchinson (first round, 17th overall, 2001). Two-time Pro Bowl selection. Started first 20 games before breaking leg in 2002. Started all 32 contests since his return, garnering first-team All-Pro honors from the Associated Press in 2003.

WR Darrell Jackson (third round, 80th overall, 2000). All-rookie selection, has started 61 of 80 Seahawks games in five years. Posted franchise-record 87 receptions in 2004.

DT Rashad Moore (sixth round, 183rd overall, 2003). In two years, has arguably outplayed 16 of the 18 tackles taken ahead of him, including first-round picks Johnathan Sullivan and Jimmy Kennedy.

The Seahawks' starting secondary at the end of the '04 season: Cornerbacks Marcus Trufant (first round, 11th overall, 2003) and Ken Lucas (second round, 40th overall, 2001), and safeties Ken Hamlin (second round, 42nd overall, 2003) and Michael Boulware (second round, 53rd overall, 2004). Boulware earned all-rookie honors in 2004.

Additionally, Seattle's 2003 playoff team included five non-drafted free agents signed during Thompson's time at the personnel helm: running back Kerry Carter, long-snapper J.P. Darche, linebacker D.D. Lewis, wide receiver Jerheme Urban and linebacker Tracy White.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this past draft in general was one of the weakest...no stud #1 pick, Alex Smith wasnt that good, I still say we got the best QB prospect in the draft...but no defensive studs short of Derrick Johnson and possibly one or two others...i'm glad that Thompson found who he found with our late round picks--Mike Montgomery, Brady Poppinga, Marviel Underwood, Mike Hawkins--will be solid contributors in some role for years to come, Murphy could possibly take away some playing time from Robert Ferguson if healthy, we got a heck of a prospect with Nick Collins

who cares what TT did with the seahawks, he's with the packers now

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are two telling things from those stats:

1. TT seems to hit on his first rounders (even at the latter part of the round) which is crucial for success in this league; and

2. He seems to draft well for depth i.e. a lot of the guys picked make the roster - bodes well for depth and quality special teams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Ferguson if healthy, we got a heck of a prospect with Nick Collins

bavpb asked about 2004, and was talking about prior drafts picks by TT...

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
JavonWalker084 said:
Ferguson if healthy, we got a heck of a prospect with Nick Collins

bavpb asked about 2004, and was talking about prior drafts picks by TT...

and i responded trying to ease the concern that ted thompson will be a bad drafter--whats your point

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Got ya, was a misunderstanding on my part..Sorry bout that!

On pain pills for a broken hand not thinking clearly...LOL

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I don't know how many of these 5 drafts were Ted Thompsons but the Seahawks were 6th overall (players on the team) by the measurables done by that web site. So for mathameticians, that is better than one standard deviation above the mean.

The Packers during the time (40% Wolf 60% Sherman) were 16th or the mean.

Those numbers were done April 2004. In the year and 2/3 since much has happened. Currently, Thompson has signed 40% of the team in one season. Sherman about 38% and Wolf 22%.

Shermans draft picks from 01-04 on the team will likely be single digits next year. Carroll, Barnett, Wells, Kampmann(?), Martin(?), Ferguson, Washington(?), Peterson(?), Sander(?), Walker. (2.5/year ave)

It is likely in March 06 that there will be more of Ted Thompsons draft picks with the Packers than all of Shermans drafts(10 of 11 unless Bragg is signed). But also if all 8 of Wolf's picks return then there could be more of Wolf's draft picks on the Packers than Sherman's draft picks by the begining of the season.

When looking at the stats remember the Ditka trade of all picks for Ricky Williams? 100% of the draft was starting. I like the number of picks as only 50% really become a good player. The Seahawks tied for the second highest number of picks.
Seattle had 3 ProBowl players last year and 2 were on the offensive line. The Packers had 4. 3 of the Packers were acquired by Wolf(2 drafted). Walker was drafted by Sherman.

In 4 years of Sherman drafts 4 current starters are Sherman picks an average of one a year. In one year 2 of Thompson's picks are starters.

Thompson left Seattle in great shape. He is getting the Packers into shape. Hiring Ted Thompson as GM was a great move by Bob Harlan.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Got ya, was a misunderstanding on my part..Sorry bout that!

On pain pills for a broken hand not thinking clearly...LOL

yeah, when i typed that i found out i might be failing a class...wasnt exactly approaching PF with a level head, my bad also

Members online

Latest posts