Trouble in Paradise?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think there is more to it the just saying this is a coach that has the most or X amount of wins etc..

You have to direct every aspect of the rosters he had since HD has been here, the assistant coaches he had during all this time etc.. etc..

All I know that great coaches are great leaders and know how to keep there teams focused, motivated, are very good at making adjustments on thd fly if things aren't working, come up with great game plans vs the toughest of competition and find ways to win even with mediocre rosters.

I don't see this qualities in Lafleur, Barry, Butkus .
And I think waiting to see what happends over the next 1-2years is a mistake and a waste of roster talent and opportunity.
Same way as waiting to see how Shawn Mennenga pens out when it was obvious the dude can't coach.

One thing about Gute he isn't already of making agressive moved.
In my opinion we are very close to that time where such move or moves might need to be made.

It's not a smart approach to think about firing a coach with the team being tied for first in wins since he took over based on some mistakes he has made. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I want MLF to improve upon but there's no reason to move on from him at this point by any means.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
It's not a smart approach to think about firing a coach with the team being tied for first in wins since he took over based on some mistakes he has made. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I want MLF to improve upon but there's no reason to move on from him at this point by any means.
Agreed, firing any coach 5 games into the season would be a mistake on the Packers part. I understand Carolina doing it. Dude only won 11 games and was well on his way to having another losing season. Their season is shot and the franchise is in rough shape. Packers still have hope and the franchise is in good hands. Time for a sense of urgency. Not time for panic.

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just checking out the Packers page at sportspyder.com. You've got Roger's publicly criticizing Alexander's comments after the game, Jones questioning the play calling on the final drive, and Slaton questioning the lack of adjustments on defense. Airing things out leading to positive changes, or are the wheels starting to come off?
The Packers had a failure to execute on both sides of the ball versus the Giants. The old line of; "Just do your job " comes to my mind. (A quote that somehow gets credited to the Patriots.)

It is time to focus on the Jets and put the London debacle behind them. Rogers' ego really needs to take a rest. He is one of 53 players on the roster, and not their sole spokesperson. His control freak nature, and thin skin to criticisms are detracting from the job the Team needs to do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is time to focus on the Jets and put the London debacle behind them. Rogers' ego really needs to take a rest. He is one of 53 players on the roster, and not their sole spokesperson. His control freak nature, and thin skin to criticisms are detracting from the job the Team needs to do.
when asked about Jaire's comments, what, specifically, in Rodgers' comment should make us believe it was from an over worked ego, spokesperson for the team, control freak nature and think skinnedness? Specifically please.
was it the "Frankly I don't like all this talk about losing next week talk"? Because frankly, I don't like it either. Jaire is better than that.

was it something about the team getting back to work, focusing on themselves and winning that made him seem like a raging egomaniac with thin skin?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, firing any coach 5 games into the season would be a mistake on the Packers part. I understand Carolina doing it. Dude only won 11 games and was well on his way to having another losing season. Their season is shot and the franchise is in rough shape. Packers still have hope and the franchise is in good hands. Time for a sense of urgency. Not time for panic.
I believe we are either not deciphering the opposing offenses well enough during the week or we do not know how to adjust when they go off script during the game.

Reaction score
I’m not sure if anyone noticed but I was surprised about passing D
Our Defense
Rank #2 passing yards allowed.
Rank #21 rushing allowed
Rank #11th points allowed

As bad as we’ve looked it’s not that ugly. Maybe just against top 5 type expectations

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Defense
Rank #21 rushing allowed

As bad as we’ve looked it’s not that ugly. Maybe just against top 5 type expectations
If our offense was comparable to most of the last decade of Packer teams we would certainly be top 5. Maybe even top 2. Suddenly, it takes more than just an average defense to win games in Green Bay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Defense
Rank #21 rushing allowed

They’re only a couple plays away from being that top 5 and people are ready to scrap the whole thing it seems like by week six

Reaction score
They’re only a couple plays away from being that top 5 and people are ready to scrap the whole thing it seems like by week six
Yeah. I guess I’m an optimist but I still think we’re not the cohesive unit we can become. We’re a bit disjointed and kinda learning our roles and we’ve got about 6 players playing well and about 5 kinda learning the system. It’s no surprise that it’s not our backfield that’s getting hammered. While they given up some big plays, they’ve also had quite a few forced punts or turnovers on downs. Amos Stokes and J’aire Are the strength and Rasul and Savage are kinda acting like fish out of water. I’m wondering if moving J’aire to the Slot and Rasul outside would get the best from Rasul.
Savage is just a guy. For every good play he makes 3 Bad ones.

We’ve got 2 players playing exceptional upfront in Kenny and Gary and really everyone else is playing very average or some not to standard. We need more consistent playmakers across the board

All that said. I’m being tough on them because they are Top 5 potential. However our Offense stalling a lot is causing some of their woes. It’s the Offense that’s the larger issue. Get that O fixed to 25 points per and we’d top 5-8
D ranking easy sneezy.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess I’m an optimist but I still think we’re not the cohesive unit we can become. We’re a bit disjointed and kinda learning our roles and we’ve got about 6 players playing well and about 5 kinda learning the system. It’s no surprise that it’s not our backfield that’s getting hammered. While they given up some big plays, they’ve also had quite a few forced punts or turnovers on downs. Amos Stokes Rasul and J’aire Are the strength. We’ve got 2 players playing exceptional upfront in Kenny and Gary and really everyone else is playing very average or not to standard.
I would put preston in there as playing very well too. Campbell had a bad game earlier, I think he's been looking pretty good most of the time out there recently. I think Rasul has been playing pretty well until last game and his gaffes cost this team the game IMO, erasing sacks and TO's and giving huge auto first downs after forcing a tough 3rd and short at the goal line and giving 4 plays inside the 2 because of it turned a likely 3 into 7pts for the other guys.
It's mostly been inexperience at one ILB position and miscommunications. This team is doing a lot of things right on defense and frustration is making people see nothing but bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems you need to listen more carefully to what Rodgers actually says to form an opinion. He has taken responsibility for the offense struggling on several occasions this season. With that being said I don't expect any of the haters to take notice.

I believe we are either not deciphering the opposing offenses well enough during the week or we do not know how to adjust when they go off script during the game.

A lack of talent at wide receiver and tight end is the main reason the offense is struggling. That was to be expected entering the season.

Our Defense
Rank #21 rushing allowed

The main reason for the Packers being #2 in passing yards allowed is that the team has faced the least amount of attempts in the league. The defense ranks 15th in yards per passing attempt, 24th in passer rating and dead last in completion percentage allowed.

Reaction score
The main reason for the Packers being #2 in passing yards allowed is that the team has faced the least amount of attempts in the league. The defense ranks 15th in yards per passing attempt, 24th in passer rating and dead last in completion percentage allowed.
What that tells me is opponents understand our weakness is our Run game.
Our pass D must scare them. Lol
(Saying that jokingly) ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would put preston in there as playing very well too. Campbell had a bad game earlier, I think he's been looking pretty good most of the time out there recently. I think Rasul has been playing pretty well until last game and his gaffes cost this team the game IMO, erasing sacks and TO's and giving huge auto first downs after forcing a tough 3rd and short at the goal line and giving 4 plays inside the 2 because of it turned a likely 3 into 7pts for the other guys.
It's mostly been inexperience at one ILB position and miscommunications. This team is doing a lot of things right on defense and frustration is making people see nothing but bad.
Well that’s true, I’ve contended all along that our woes have been about 65% Offense and 35% Defense.

Truthfully if our Offense would just put up a respectable 25 points a game (I’m not asking to be world beaters!) it would fix a lot of frustration.

19 points scored per game is not a playoff strategy. That’s bordering on humiliating for a guy like Matt with #12 being his Field General

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What that tells me is opponents understand our weakness is our Run game.
Our pass D must scare them. Lol
(Saying that jokingly) ;)
Of our 5 opponents only Cousins and Brady had the great QB passing history. And then only the Vikings had the receiving corps to kill us. The other 3 games we faced young, inexperienced QBs with few weapons so it made sense if I were their coach to RUN the football. But isn't it ironic that the two games in which we stopped the run were against the Bucs and Vikings.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of our 5 opponents only Cousins and Brady had the great QB passing history. And then only the Vikings had the receiving corps to kill us. The other 3 games we faced young, inexperienced QBs with few weapons so it made sense if I were their coach to RUN the football. But isn't it ironic that the two games in which we stopped the run were against the Bucs and Vikings.

The Vikings gained 126 yards on the ground on 28 attempts, the Packers were only able to contain the run against the Bucs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings gained 126 yards on the ground on 28 attempts, the Packers were only able to contain the run against the Bucs.
I probably should have said we held Cook to 90 yards which was not great but he has put up bigger numbers before against us. I believed if we could do that we should have had enough offense to win the game. We obviously did not. In the days of Adrian Peterson if we kept him to 90 yards it would constitute containment and a win. But then his teams rarely had the passing attack to go with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I probably should have said we held Cook to 90 yards which was not great but he has put up bigger numbers before against us. I believed if we could do that we should have had enough offense to win the game. We obviously did not. In the days of Adrian Peterson if we kept him to 90 yards it would constitute containment and a win. But then his teams rarely had the passing attack to go with it.

I agree the Packers could have still won the game vs. the Vikings if the offense showed up and they didn't allow Jefferson to have a career day.

Reaction score
I agree the Packers could have still won the game vs. the Vikings if the offense showed up and they didn't allow Jefferson to have a career day.
Hmmm. That’s a lot of could haves and ifs.

How about instead of driving in the rear view mirror on a multi score loss, we just learn from our tail whooping and look forward to getting redemption at Lambeau this coming December;)

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm. That’s a lot of could haves and ifs.

How about instead of driving in the rear view mirror on a multi score loss, we just learn from our tail whooping and look forward to getting redemption at Lambeau this coming December;)
Right. And let's hope that game matters in a big way. We want revenge, blood and guts in this one.

Members online

Latest posts