Training camp notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

I've gotten the general impression McCarthy doesn't think much of preseason football. I bet he's practicing if this was during the regular season.
I don't agree. When discussions of cutting preseason to 2 games while expanding the regular season to 18 games was floated, McCarthy stated his disagreement. It is his view that preseason games are essential in evaluating young talent.

You'd think this would be common sense but when it comes to increasing revenue the NFL tends to err on the side of going too far.

What McCarthy did not mention is how lackluster and often downright sloppy much of the play across the league happens to be during the first 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season. Less preseason play certainly wouldn't help matters.

Cutting back on the quality of your product because you reckon the average customer won't notice is the kind of thinking normally associated with slippery slopes.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to 18 and 2 would be a terrible decision. I think 16 is too much as is.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree. When discussions of cutting preseason to 2 games while expanding the regular season to 18 games was floated, McCarthy stated his disagreement. It is his view that preseason games are essential in evaluating young talent.

You'd think this would be common sense but when it comes to increasing revenue the NFL tends to err on the side of going too far.

What McCarthy did not mention is how lackluster and often downright sloppy much of the play across the league happens to be during the first 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season. Less preseason play certainly wouldn't help matters.

Cutting back on the quality of your product because you reckon the average customer won't is the kind of thinking normally associated with slippery slopes.

it's one thing to want to see young talent. it's another to have a proven commodity practice when he's not 100%.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon Bostick will miss a couple weeks with a lower leg injury, won't need surgery.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Clinton-Dix with two interceptions during today's practice, Banjo had one as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon Bostick suffered a slight fracture of the fibula and will probably miss the opener in Seattle.

Depending on which sources you believe in he could be back by the Packers second game or be sidelined until October.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Brandon Bostick suffered a slight fracture of the fibula and will probably miss the opener in Seattle.

Depending on which sources you believe in he could be back by the Packers second game or be sidelined until October.

I am gunna say he will be out for a LONG time. Mid-late October sounds more likely.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released S Charles Clay, CB Antonio Dennard, WR Chris Harper, LB Korey Jones, FB Ina Liaina, QB Chase Rettig and WR Gerrard Sheppard

H

HardRightEdge

I'm fairly confident Rettig won't be on PS. He showed poorly enough to defy realistic expectations of development.

H

HardRightEdge

So do you think we're going to bring in a QB or go without a QB on the PS? With 10 PS spots, I wouldn't be a big fan of of not having a QB on the PS.
I think if a young QB Thompson likes gets released he might try to sign him to the PS, as with Tolzien.

Given choices, though, such a guy might prefer to go with a team where he'd have a chance of starting in the next decade.

Improving the odds of getting a developmental guy you like requires you draft one or grab a guy in the undrafted free agency scrum because after that the pickings get a lot slimmer. The likelihood that the right guy comes along now is somewhat remote and considerably a matter of luck. Even among available veterans, the best we could do last year were Vince Young and Seneca Wallace.

So, to answer the question, no, I don't think Thompson will sign one just to have one if that means taking the best among poor options.

One caveat: If I thought Thompson was one of those guys who scarfs up PS guys to get intelligence about a key opponent, B.J. Daniels out of Seattle would be your man if the Hawks decide to let him go. I don't think Thompson is that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers place B.J. Raji, Don Barclay, Jared Abbrederis, Rajion Neal, Joe Thomas and Andrew Tiller on IR, roster now at 75.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

We don't see what goes on in the meetings or at the Don Hutson Center, or the weight room. The trainers massaging on the muscles on the training tables. Players soaking in hot tubs and cold baths. The trays of food eaten, and the laundry that never seems to end . The endless film study. There must also be the practical jokes the we never hear about. The reporters crowding around this or that player in the locker room to get their interviews. The coaches agonizing over injuries and who to cut . Who makes the practice squad ? The office buzzing with activity as transportation and hotel rooms are reserved for future travel games. The custodians and handymen going about their assigned tasks. The lady that does the sewing. The venders getting ready for the next event. The tired player who walks to his SUV at the end of a long day.
Much more than just what we see goes on most every day. A large organization that can influence weather a team is a winner or Cleveland . Think about that the next time you take the Browns to the Super Bowl. ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Btw, you act as if I predicted that these guys would get designated. I don't remember ever predicting such a thing. I brought the designation up as a talking point.

No, I was just asking what you're referring to as I haven't had time this week to read a lot of stuff on here.

It's all fine, try to relax a little bit more.

Members online

Latest posts