training camp fights

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO this team could use a nastier attitude and if camp fights help bring that out, I'm for 'em. I just hope no one is stupid enough to break their hand on a helmet.

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it. I was always taught that you should practice like you want to play. Practice with aggressiveness, play with aggressiveness. this team needs a mean streak.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am one of those guys who dislike this type of "fighting". I understand it could show passion, but really it just shows that people have short tempers. All I could think about during the video was a personal foul 15-yard penalty.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
tempers with big nasty football players tend to be short, combine that with higher temperatures and being tired from practice and you have a recipe for a fight. It happens at all levels, these just get reported more due to nosy media types.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tempers with big nasty football players tend to be short, combine that with higher temperatures and being tired from practice and you have a recipe for a fight. It happens at all levels, these just get reported more due to nosy media types.

It's happening in nearly every camp. Just saw a report from Redskins camp where some guys got into it. They are tired of training camp and going up against their own. Nothing to worry about.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I hate it, probably from my upbringing..but any kind of fighting,...even loud arguing sets my stomach in knots!
I think the coaches need to nip that before the season starts.

It looks unprofessional during the game, and just ridiculous during training camp.

16ga

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about the second video but Finley punching the rookie in the face just seems childish and unprofessional to me. Then again I guess that does fit Finley.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I ever saw these guys get into anything more than a 10-year-old catfight, it might raise an eyebrow. I'm pretty "meh" on it all. There are a couple fights every year at every teams' training camp. It's a product of all the variable previously mentioned, and especially fringe players feeling a big paycheck slipping out of the grasp.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No big deal. Happens every year. Lots of emotion out there. Probably shouldn't judge unless you've been there.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand it can ignite passion but I think there are better ways of igniting passion than resorting to training camp fights. If that is what it takes to get passion going we have a problem folks. But it's also better to get issues like these resolved in camp rather than have it run into the season.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fine with competitiveness and that can lead to some skirmishes. That being said, skirmishes can lead to fights and brawls. I am 50/50 on the issues.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These things happen in nearly every team's training camp nearly every year. High stakes + lots of testosterone + someone taking it a little too far = scuffles. Seriously nothing to worry about, Kitten.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
....or.... does it point to a lack of discipline and/or personal control? Someone mentioned 15-yard penalties, and yeah, it's only practice but...you play as you practice. I despise camp fights, for nothing else other than a display of a lack of control.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to have a mean streak on the field. Just don't take it off the field. I think MM probably likes it as a reflection of team toughness.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"weeds, post: 506557, member: 39"]....or.... does it point to a lack of discipline and/or personal control? Someone mentioned 15-yard penalties, and yeah, it's only practice but...you play as you practice. I despise camp fights, for nothing else other than a display of a lack of control.

Ray Nitschke and Jim Ringo got into plenty of camp scuffles with various players over the years, among others. Not bad company if you ask me. I think there was another Lombardi player prone to camp fights... maybe Aldridge? It's football, not croquet.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the intensity that breeds these fights but I don't like ********* like Finley punching helmets. Can't think of a dumber way to get a 6 week trip out of action for a broken hand.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Finley was the first or that he'll be the last? C'mon.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
This fighting business happens at every packers TC, and it always has, and always will......how many 15 yd penalties did we get last year that had direct connection with TC fights?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ray Nitschke and Jim Ringo got into plenty of camp scuffles with various players over the years, among others. Not bad company if you ask me. I think there was another Lombardi player prone to camp fights... maybe Aldridge? It's football, not croquet.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree with the concept. We had Sitton jawin' with Kevin Greene and Finley punching a guy wearing a helmet, with a hand that he needs to drop passes. He doesn't need a cast on a hand to drop passes. It's dumb, that's all.

16ga

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the video in Arkansas's link I’m going to take back my comment on the Finley fight. At first it looked like he started the fight by turning and decking the guy. I'll admit it seems a little more justifiable now. Just not worth risking his hand.
Sure its not exactly professional but as long as it doesn’t cause problems between our guys at the end of the day I won't lose any sleep over it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're worried about it causing long term issues between the guys, don't. It really is a family-like dynamic. These guys are in the crucible right now. How many of us ever fought in one form or another with siblings as kids? I sure got onto plenty of scraps with mine. But I'll tell you, you'd better have thought twice before YOU ever thought about messing with any of them! Likewise, if Jarvis Reed makes the team and a guy from some other team starts a fight with him, I would bet you anything that Finley would be one of the first to come to his aid. No doubt in my mind.

Members online

Latest posts