Trading Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
Realistically. The Packers can extend him again if they want. But it would’ve been catastrophic to not get a good QB after the 2019 season had Rodgers declined a 3rd straight season.
Also remember that Love is an insurance plan. We can likely get a substantial draft selection (in that top 50 range) in a trade if we want to go that route. Possibly another measure would be to trade him if we extend Rodgers. It’s called contingency insurance and thus far it’s working by keeping Rodgers on his toes!

Reaction score
I would like to see it that way. But the chances of any successor to the Favre Rodgers era even nearing their performance is very slim. Now that does not mean you have to have a Favre or Rodgers to win SBs. It has been proven. This however tells us to work on building a SB team with the elements that can get you there in addition to a decent QB.
What some posters are confused by is that I agree with having a winning element at QB. It’s unfortunate, but life moves fast and the NFL is evolving at a higher rate. The team has to be prepared with an older QB and the drop can be quick and hard. That’s what they were facing and you can’t really blame them.
40 years is kind of a threshold for many QB’s and Aaron will be there before his current contract expires. Sooner or later he will be replaced and having a formidable QB in the shadows is critical to the success of the entire team.

This argument has been made into great Rodgers vs. a QB that’s never taken a meaningful snap in the league. That’s pretty obvious when we look at it through a very narrow lens. Who wouldn’t want Rodgers???
That isn’t the way the FO office looks at it. They look at it as a 100 year QB Relay race and having the next QB fully prepared is detrimental to the success of several hundred people and their families. These are people’s livelihoods and pushing all your chips on 1 relay segment and hoping for the best if he goes down is bordering on irrational.

A #24 overall selection is a cheap price to pay every 5+ years or so if the right guy comes along. This isn’t personal like Aaron is taking it. It’s just a long term winning strategy and the argument of 2 of the last HOF QB’s hinges on that said strategy. I don’t blame them one bit for drafting Jordan when I consider the big picture.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What some posters are confused by is that I agree with having a winning element at QB. It’s unfortunate, but life moves fast and the NFL is evolving at a higher rate. The team has to be prepared with an older QB and the drop can be quick and hard. That’s what they were facing and you can’t really blame them.
40 years is kind of a threshold for many QB’s and Aaron will be there before his current contract expires. Sooner or later he will be replaced and having a formidable QB in the shadows is critical to the success of the entire team.

This argument has been made into great Rodgers vs. a QB that’s never taken a meaningful snap in the league. That’s pretty obvious when we look at it through a very narrow lens. Who wouldn’t want Rodgers???
That isn’t the way the FO office looks at it. They look at it as a 100 year QB Relay race and having the next QB fully prepared is detrimental to the success of several hundred people and their families. These are people’s livelihoods and pushing all your chips on 1 relay segment and hoping for the best if he goes down is bordering on irrational.

A #24 overall selection is a cheap price to pay every 5+ years or so if the right guy comes along. This isn’t personal like Aaron is taking it. It’s just a long term winning strategy and the argument of 2 of the last HOF QB’s hinges on that said strategy. I don’t blame them one bit for drafting Jordan when I consider the big picture.
Thank goodness for football. I think a great illustration is yesterday. We watch a 17 year veteran QB vs. a rookie QB. The talent is there. But you can see how the experience in managing a game and knowing the field comes with time.

Members online

Latest posts