too much moderation

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I get that and I do it it too.....but......that is the fun of it. We can be having a nice discussion about Aaron Rodgers and it rekindles someone's thoughts about Brett Favre. The thread may veer off for awhile but eventually it gets back on track. Sure, there is a lot of repeated stuff from what could be found in a old Favre thread, but it was probably brought up because it was a thought that the Rodgers thread invoked in someone.

This place is far to big to think that you need or can have one and only one thread for a subject, ideas are going to cross over.

Wait......you read through all this stuff behind the scenes? *Gets out my edit pen fast*

Heh heh heh....Favre is a moderator's nightmare. I usually watch to see if the parenthetic Favre thoughts in a thread escalate into the same old arguments. At that point, in order to keep the thread sane, because Favre brings out very strong emotions, I encourage people to take the discussion to the official Favre section which actually has multiple threads of it's own. SMH

As for growing the forum, some folks don't realize the true size of this forum. I logged on one day and saw upwards of a thousand people perusing the forum. Not everyone posts. Maybe LTF and Robdog know how many actual members there are on the forum. But I can see that there are a lot of people who come to read. There are times as moderators where we have to read through 200 -300 posts a day, which can be personally time consuming. This past week, I logged on to the site several times during one day and toward evening, a couple hundred more posts appeared! :eek:

We are also just normal people with feet of clay. I have a little advantage over some of the other mods because I am retired and on disability, so I get to stay home a lot. Thus I have a little more time to devote to reading. But my hat's off to these other Mods who come home from a hard day at work and sit down at their computer to filter through hundreds of posts each day.

OP
OP
S

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion there was no need? Lost me?

I said to lock a thread we normally don't discuss with others on to lock or not to lock.

With that said, I am agreeing with locking that thread for the reasons I gave
I was referencing your quote about the Seattle NFC championship game. At any rate, you have stated your reasoning as to why this type of moderation is necessary...I have stated my opinion as to why it is not... not much else to say. I do not intend for this debate to become heated as Buggy referenced above since I am not angry. We have both stayed our respective cases and I am content to leave it at that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, I don`t recall saying it was getting heated, or I was either. I tried to explain my take on it.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about the shoutbox? I think it should be some consistency there. Like with the kicking from chat. Ive been on this forum off and on since 09 and never had a problem with anyone. I like this forum and the people here a lot, but how I was kicked last week by I certain mod I was pissed. I held my composure and simply ask why and wasn't really given a legit excuse. Yes today I still feel some type of way about it because I was singled out and called a name. Not to sound like a sissy but I was shocked lol.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What about the shoutbox? I think it should be some consistency there. Like with the kicking from chat. Ive been on this forum off and on since 09 and never had a problem with anyone. I like this forum and the people here a lot, but how I was kicked last week by I certain mod I was pissed. I held my composure and simply ask why and wasn't really given a legit excuse. Yes today I still feel some type of way about it because I was singled out and called a name. Not to sound like a sissy but I was shocked lol.
You said rollins rolled over on purpose and hurt himself.

That was way over the line, and after u were booted I saw at least two other posters call you the same name..

You knew why I booted as I called you the name and said don't wish a player injury

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I don't moderate the shout-box for reasons I mentioned in another thread. But to give a little more serious answer than just dodging the question with my scotch ;), the mods have been in discussions about what to do with the shout box.

Some of the thoughts have been along the line of;
A. Moderate it as normal, which is extremely difficult because of the speed.
B. Do away with it altogether
C. Give a subtitle to it kind of like the Adult Asylum stating that it will be loosely moderated and one uses it at their own risk, but within forum guidelines regarding things that are illegal.

The shout-box is another area which is a moderator's headache during a game. Emotions are running high. People are indulging in "libations". The comments are short and fast. Posters start complaining about other posters. It is a difficult dynamic.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
the mods have been in discussions about what to do with the shout box.

Perhaps just a disclaimer and a warning at the top:

"Everything stated in this shoutbox is to be considered a user's own opinion, and not an official representation of this forum or any of its employees or other members. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, and license. Some assembly required. Each sold separately. Batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist or ******** lasts longer than 4 hrs, contact a physician. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Keep in a cool dark place. "

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said rollins rolled over on purpose and hurt himself.

That was way over the line, and after u were booted I saw at least two other posters call you the same name..

You knew why I booted as I called you the name and said don't wish a player injury
But yet I never called anyone out their name have I ever personal talked down to you or called you out your name? Have i ever talked negative to you? It was people personally attacking people on your good side calling people morons and others names I wont say names but you didn't kick them. Also I didn't wish injury on him he sat back up , didn't know he was injured until minutes later and I didn't see anyone else say anything about what I said. If your going to kick people all I ask is be consistent and fair about it. Rather you have 3 post or 4,000 posts. I said that also as I told you that i was kidding, he was getting burnt and I said he rolled over to take his self out the game didn't know he was hurt to that extent.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Perhaps just a disclaimer and a warning at the top:

"Everything stated in this shoutbox is to be considered a user's own opinion, and not an official representation of this forum or any of its employees or other members. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, and license. Some assembly required. Each sold separately. Batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist or ******** lasts longer than 4 hrs, contact a physician. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Keep in a cool dark place. "

or "If you experience, shortness of breath, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting while using this shout box. Call a web doctor immediately. Side effects have been reported but are not limited to, blindness, hysteria, depression, hardening of the arteries, rashes, ******, heart attacks, asthma, liver damage, lung damage, lou gherig's disease, stroke and in some instances death.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
But yet I never called anyone out their name have I ever personal talked down to you or called you out your name? Have i ever talked negative to you? It was people personally attacking people on your good side calling people morons and others names I wont say names but you didn't kick them. Also I didn't wish injury on him he sat back up , didn't know he was injured until minutes later and I didn't see anyone else say anything about what I said. If your going to kick people all I ask is be consistent and fair about it. Rather you have 3 post or 4,000 posts. I said that also as I told you that i was kidding, he was getting burnt and I said he rolled over to take his self out the game didn't know he was hurt to that extent.

Perhaps, as gentlemen, you and LTF ought to discuss this through pm?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I do get annoyed at times when moderators start steering the normal course of conversation in what seems to me to be a very arbitrary and capricious manner. The thread about Blake Martinez was simply closed because a Mod did not like the fact that it had strayed a bit off topic. Problem is most threads here do.... but we do not close them all.
I think the closing of threads is based on opinion myself.

There are times as mods we don't do anything until we discuss with other mods and come to a conclusion.

To close/merge a thread is not needed to get other opinions unless it's a very odd instance.

It is true threads get derailed and we do nothing. Most of those times threads were already in place for a while and probably the original topic was beaten to death.

I went back to the Blake thread, and it took a turn with in 14? Posts.. Half way thru the 1st page and was derailed.

On top of it, it was the Nfccg that derailed it. That topic is so far debated and over with. No need to keep beating that horse on a single player thread that wasn't on the team.

We also lock in hopes others figure it out and not to do same thing.
Since I closed it, I'll explain this one time: As LTF said, it was a derailment using a topic that has derailed many other threads the past two years. It was using what I saw as the same arguments, albeit most likely with different posters, and has several other threads devoted exclusively to it. As we said, Blake wasn't on the team at the time. Blake Martinez was no longer the subject of the thread. As someone else mentioned now we'd need a second Martinez thread. This already is. I haven't looked but almost every draft pick gets his own thread.
Since I have your attention, as to merging threads, if I notice posters putting basically cut & paste comments in multiple threads that cover relatively the same material, position, game, or event, {not inclusive} then I'll merge them.

Now hush down, I've got to go listen to the Quentin Rollins show on the wireless ... and get off my lawn!:whistling:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
There are mods here? What the hey.... :sneaky: I moderated a busy forum ... Used to start an over/under pool on the number of days that would pass between one "over moderation" thread and the next "censorship" thread.

I used to let em whine until they just burned themselves out. Usually, a good example of burnout is when they start discussing the 1st Amendment amongst themselves.

Bill, I find your statement about posters belittling others to be ... Um... Boring... :p Yeah... That's it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way these mods handle things-They get involved in conversations instead of deleting a comment that they disagree with and label it "trolling" as I've experienced on other forums.

I understand what you mean, but "thriving" forums aren't always a great thing-I'm on a forum for another team, and that's full of immaturity and repetitive and redundant threads that the mods couldn't even hope to keep under control. If you give people reasonable guidelines for behavior, you're probably more likely to keep better company around.