too much moderation

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciated this until the joking part. Had been going to post exactly that point (much of the thread, certainly all of this page, is off track, just people trying to be funny), but now there's no purpose). Starting to look like a totally unmoderated forum I used to frequent that is now almost nothing but people trying to one-up each other.
Then don't read my next post

Now we can't joke around, along with don't lock threads..

mods have more rules to follow now

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then don't read my next post

Now we can't joke around, along with don't lock threads..

mods have more rules to follow now

Only if you want to be consistent, of if there are indeed different posting rules for mods. If you can look at the last page, and even what follows the post to which I'm replying, and honestly tell me those have anything to do with the topic of over-moderation, then I obviously am way off base.

"Then don't read my next post" sounds much like the recommendation some of us had for the folks with thin skins, ala 'personal attacks'. Why should those of us who don't want to wade through the middle school humor to find any meat (have fun with that one) in a thread of interest need to ignore posts or posters when there is already a prohibition against hijacking or going off topic?

As long as I'm banging (have fun with that one) the consistency drum, how about the 'personal attacks' on the conspiracy theorist in another thread? Some of the comments by mods about that individual's mental state/ability would (and have, but it'd take a while to find again) qualify for 'that is a no-no' from those same mods.

Just asking for consistency.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

To be honest HE, what exactly do you want from the moderators ? You and I have had conversations where you have been concerned about OVER moderation, and then we are too easy going. We can`t win with you. Yes my comments to the gentleman was a bit OTT, but I believed he was merely acting like a troll. He offered those theories and was repeatedly refusing to elaborate on his theories.
You seem to take delight in stirring the pot here. I`ve tried to engage you in conversation before, but it doesn`t work. I`m seriously happy to step down as a mod if you want the job, but you don`t seem to want the job yourself, so what exactly DO you want ?

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Only if you want to be consistent, of if there are indeed different posting rules for mods. If you can look at the last page, and even what follows the post to which I'm replying, and honestly tell me those have anything to do with the topic of over-moderation, then I obviously am way off base.

"Then don't read my next post" sounds much like the recommendation some of us had for the folks with thin skins, ala 'personal attacks'. Why should those of us who don't want to wade through the middle school humor to find any meat (have fun with that one) in a thread of interest need to ignore posts or posters when there is already a prohibition against hijacking or going off topic?

As long as I'm banging (have fun with that one) the consistency drum, how about the 'personal attacks' on the conspiracy theorist in another thread? Some of the comments by mods about that individual's mental state/ability would (and have, but it'd take a while to find again) qualify for 'that is a no-no' from those same mods.

Just asking for consistency.

My post was all said in jest, and I'm sorry my attempt for humor got lost.

I think you are complaining that this thread isn't locked?

As stated more then once, the other thread was locked because
1) it was derailed with in the 1st 15 posts or so.
2) the derailment was from the beaten horse Nfccg debate.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
@Half Empty

Don't read next post. I was in a joking mood and was going to make a joke and wanted you to avoid it.

Rules for mods. Again joking that now mods have to lock and can't joke.

Not sure why you are so stuck on the consistency. I think you belive all is black and white. Sorry but it isn't.

We have had this with you b4.

If your doing 65 and limit is 55 and you get a ticket, then next day you do 65 in 55 on same road but cop waves at you, will you be mad they aren't consistent?

You are more than welcome to be a mod for a while to understand and offer insight

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1st task as Mod @Half Empty is go over every post and if off topic, delete or move.

I'm not trying to be an ***, truly.. but that is what you want. At least it appears you want it that way?

We have over 200 posts a day, so if we don't catch something right away, we aren't doing the job you want us to?

Had some free time, so I deleted a few of your posts because they were off topic.

I did to prove a point. That it's very hard to see every post that goes off topic. And how silly it can be to delete every post that is off topic

We have a report button to help us see issues. So if you truly have an issue with threads going off topic and it isn't being deleted or moved, report it.

I can't guarantee we do what you want, but at least you know we will look into it

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post was all said in jest, and I'm sorry my attempt for humor got lost. As am I. Sounded too much like some suggestions in other threads, so I took it as a real 'if you don't like what I say, don't read it' comment.

I think you are complaining that this thread isn't locked? Nope, at least not necessarily. Just want some action when more than a full page of posts are about double entendres or other jokes having nothing to do with the topic. Locking, warning, deleting makes no difference to me - just don't waste the bandwidth (or whatever the current phrase is).

As stated more then once, the other thread was locked because
1) it was derailed with in the 1st 15 posts or so. Is there a lower limit to when the run of off-topic posts is addressed? If it's OK to do so in the third or fourth page, I was just unaware.
2) the derailment was from the beaten horse Nfccg debate. Just as this one was from the dead moderation theme?

Will reply to this and the next two posts. Would have been cleaner to keep all the sniping in one, but such is life.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No.. There isn't a set limit min or max when we lock a thread where it goes off topic..We had this talk b4,
Not sure why it's brought up again?

Again, it's opinion. This was mentioned on 1st page. It can't be black and white. I'm sorry if this isn't how people want it, it just isn't possible.

In this very thread, posters expressed they want threads to remain open when it is derailed. For the most part we don't lock many for that. We fully understand threads loose topic and that isn't the problem. It's the threads that get lost immediately (like the Blake thread, and if topics were beaten down in other threads. The Blake thread had both happen )

I know people think a quideline for closing is needed, but it isn't that simple. If any one has an idea when a thread should be locked or things deleted, we are all ears and eyes..Apparently we are missing something, so help us.

Just keep in mind, we can't read every post or every thread and then determine if it's off topic.

I think your under the impression we can? There might be 40 new posts on a thread when I log on, do you expect us a to go to 1st page and read every one? Then go back and move or delete every offending one?

If that's the case, it will never ever happen that way. It is virtually impossible o do that. Hence why I say it isn't black and white,

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Half Empty

Don't read next post. I was in a joking mood and was going to make a joke and wanted you to avoid it. Understand from the first post about joking. Lost the connection with wanting me to avoid (i.e., avoid what?).

Rules for mods. Again joking that now mods have to lock and can't joke. No problem with a particular post, even an off-topic joke. Just am concerned that a page of two of silly banter isn't being addressed.

Not sure why you are so stuck on the consistency. I think you belive all is black and white. Sorry but it isn't. Agree. Again, I feel that the off-topic joking in this one is way over the line and is pretty darned close to either black or white.

We have had this with you b4. More or less. Previously, it was mostly about how quick some mods are to defend some posters from others when (a) some of us think the potshots are still way into the gray area and (b) there has been no complaints from the potentially offended party. Unless I'm specifically warned or banned, you'll continue to hear from me, just like b4. I used to post regularly to the forum I mentioned earlier until, in 2011, the owner asked me to stop raining on their parade with my 'we may not be as good as we seem' comments, which I did. Have been a lurker there ever since, mostly because the lack of moderation has turned it into a written and visual jokefest.

If your doing 65 and limit is 55 and you get a ticket, then next day you do 65 in 55 on same road but cop waves at you, will you be mad they aren't consistent? For one, I am bright enough to not commit the same offense the next day (great time for an off-topic discussion of players getting suspended over and over). However, to the point I believe you're trying to make, I certainly wouldn't be mad because the cop's inconsistency benefited me. Staying on the speeding topic, where I'd have a problem is if two guys go flying by me, well over the limit, and only one gets tagged.

You are more than welcome to be a mod for a while to understand and offer insight Did not know that was an option. Would be interested but need to know about what kind of commitments (ya, I know, I should be commited :)) are involved.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
, I certainly wouldn't be mad because the cop's inconsistency benefited me.
But, you got a ticket why not be mad at other cop? Considering he established what the rule is. See... Not black and white
Staying on the speeding topic, where I'd have a problem is if two guys go flying by me, well over the limit, and only one gets tagged

No need to go there, that's off topic.:p

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st task as Mod @Half Empty is go over every post and if off topic, delete or move. As it should be.

I'm not trying to be an ***, truly.. but that is what you want. At least it appears you want it that way? Not sure if you mean I want you to be an *** or I want something else.

We have over 200 posts a day, so if we don't catch something right away, we aren't doing the job you want us to? Nope, it's when a series of posts that don't meet the standard of being on-topic build up over time.

Had some free time, so I deleted a few of your posts because they were off topic. Feel free, as long as you do the same for everyone. I assume there is no way for me to see what I said in those posts? Not that I'd be upset, just curious.

I did to prove a point. That it's very hard to see every post that goes off topic. And how silly it can be to delete every post that is off topic Dead horse, but I'm not talking about every post, I'm talking a long series of such.

We have a report button to help us see issues. So if you truly have an issue with threads going off topic and it isn't being deleted or moved, report it. Can do. Just never much cared until it seemed (to me) that a double standard was being employed.

I can't guarantee we do what you want, but at least you know we will look into it That's all I ask.

Down to the home stretch. 3rd of 3.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not really. It was addressing the topic brought up by a Super Mod, so extending that theme must be on topic.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
OK. Enough of this. I happen to belong to at least 8 football forums. Yeah, I don't have a life after work. Anyway, the 8 I belong to are all well moderated. This being one of them. The mods here do a great job. And while each forum has it's rules, some things I say here I can't say on another Packer forum. The amount of closed threads is actually very small, and they seem to be closed for a good reason. Although you guys closed one before I could get my 2 cents in, I'll forgive you. It's simple. The mods close a thread for whatever reason. Just move on. There is nothing here that won't be brought up again. And again. And Again. Who want's to fire Capers?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing we find, which I think PB has just covered there is some people love being the one who starts a thread, but doesn`t bother to check that there is already a thread going. Next thing we know there are four or five on the same subject, so we have to merge them.
the neighbour asked you to move them...LOL

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
S

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.. There isn't a set limit min or max when we lock a thread where it goes off topic..We had this talk b4,
Not sure why it's brought up again?

Again, it's opinion. This was mentioned on 1st page. It can't be black and white. I'm sorry if this isn't how people want it, it just isn't possible.

In this very thread, posters expressed they want threads to remain open when it is derailed. For the most part we don't lock many for that. We fully understand threads loose topic and that isn't the problem. It's the threads that get lost immediately (like the Blake thread, and if topics were beaten down in other threads. The Blake thread had both happen )

I know people think a quideline for closing is needed, but it isn't that simple. If any one has an idea when a thread should be locked or things deleted, we are all ears and eyes..Apparently we are missing something, so help us.

Just keep in mind, we can't read every post or every thread and then determine if it's off topic.

I think your under the impression we can? There might be 40 new posts on a thread when I log on, do you expect us a to go to 1st page and read every one? Then go back and move or delete every offending one?

If that's the case, it will never ever happen that way. It is virtually impossible o do that. Hence why I say it isn't black and white,
fwiw... I am consistant and have no problem with the derailment in this thread lol.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Hmmm ...
Too many playing "Devils Advocate" :devilish:here ...

Better be opposite for the sake of opposition than to agree ! :whistling:

Seriously though ... why this discussion ? - There are rules on These forums ... albeit lax and easy going for the most ...

If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well this thread has pretty much gotten to the flogging a dead horse stage. We've listened to the input and appreciate some of the good humor to lighten the mood.

However, before we move on to game day and such, I wouldn't mind hearing if there are any other good ideas out there with how to moderate/handle the shout box on game days. It's not bad during the week. It just gets out of hand on game days and the mods have been scratching their heads over this one. There is wisdom in the multitude of counselors...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, clearly define the purpose of the "shoutbox" What is it, what's it for? I'll be honest, I'm never going to use it like most others do. I've commented in there, but it seems pointless as unless I stay there, whatever i'm talking about or responding to is lost in the wash of stuff I don't really care to read. and I'm never going to be a regular user because I spend more time watching the game. sending texts, writing messages, etc take away from that for me so I'm always going to be much more of a regular forum user.

I'd hate to have to moderate that place. Too much time and attention dedicated to complaining. if that's what it's for, just let them have at it. It at least provides for good entertainment when someone else goes and finds some of the gems from the game later in the week :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts