Today I salute a Viking

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While I agree delegate Burns was wrong to advocate an NFL owner prohibit the use of an employee's First Amendment rights, I don’t salute Kluwe because of the immaturity and vitriol he expressed in his letter. People can disagree on the most controversial issues without peppering a public letter (or private one for that matter) with the F word and certainly without the hateful tone of that letter. That letter cannot be posted on this site in it's entirety: It’s tone and language hurt Kluwe’s cause IMO, they doesn’t help it.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Kluwe's letter was addressed to a particular politician, the real audience is a younger demographic that uses much of that particular language (and also sees the humor he was projecting with some of that use). The letter is getting a lot of coverage that it may not have otherwise received, if more polite language would've been used. I think the tone and language have gotten the letter noticed, and it's received a pretty positive reception, judging by various comments, and how many times it's been shared in social media.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find his use of profanity and insults to be quite funny. In another post on deadspin he called a guy a bloviating turkey t!t. That one will be put in my mental file for future use along with fromunda stain.
Then again I share a sense of humor with your typical 15-year-old.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find his use of profanity and insults to be quite funny. In another post on deadspin he called a guy a bloviating turkey t!t. That one will be put in my mental file for future use along with fromunda stain.
Then again I share a sense of humor with your typical 15-year-old.
you are the funniest guy on this forum too.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't support any Vikings, nor do I support Kluwe's cause. I would like to think this would be a forum about talking about the Packers, not about political propaganda (plenty of other places for that).

H

HardRightEdge

I don't support any Vikings, nor do I support Kluwe's cause. I would like to think this would be a forum about talking about the Packers, not about political propaganda (plenty of other places for that).

Saying you do not support Kluwe's cause is a political statement.

Do you realize you put in YOUR political two cents and then told everybody else to shut about it?

That's ironic, given the topic under discussion.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I take it he has a lot of time on his hands, as he's been very active with Deadspin lately; even writing a response article to the 'Why Your Team Sucks' and another article about why the replacement refs are a bad idea.

Thanks to Kluwe I now am anticipating the Redskins punter or at least their owner to reply to the article about why the Redskins suck, or maybe the Jets punter can show his coach what they wrote about him, so he can write an article over there too. When one is in the spotlight, eventually another one is going to want a piece of the action.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks to Kluwe I now am anticipating the Redskins punter or at least their owner to reply to the article about why the Redskins suck, or maybe the Jets punter can show his coach what they wrote about him, so he can write an article over there too. When one is in the spotlight, eventually another one is going to want a piece of the action.

Don't feed the trolls? haha

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Oh come on ... you're saluting a Viking for something like this? I thought a Viking came out and said something like, "The Vikings are a minor league affiliate of the Green Bay Packers until they put a couple of World Championship trophies in a now empty trophy case."

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Kluwe's letter was addressed to a particular politician, the real audience is a younger demographic that uses much of that particular language (and also sees the humor he was projecting with some of that use). The letter is getting a lot of coverage that it may not have otherwise received, if more polite language would've been used. I think the tone and language have gotten the letter noticed, and it's received a pretty positive reception, judging by various comments, and how many times it's been shared in social media.
Kluwe is obviously very intelligent. I started reading the letter and was impressed with his linguistic skills. But then he lowered himself to childish name calling/profanity. That's a confused mixture of audience. If he kept the high road he would have been fine and I believe his letter would have had some actual effects on politicians. Instead the message will be lost in the immaturity.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In any event, when an elected official can be so thoroughly and publicly spanked by the PUNTER of the VIKINGS, we must shed a tear for our democracy.

Ah, screw it.... GO PACK!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kluwe is obviously very intelligent. I started reading the letter and was impressed with his linguistic skills. But then he lowered himself to childish name calling/profanity. That's a confused mixture of audience. If he kept the high road he would have been fine and I believe his letter would have had some actual effects on politicians. Instead the message will be lost in the immaturity.

Ordinarily I would agree, if I thought his intent was to actually send it to Mr. Burns as a way of expressing his displeasure over Mr. Burns' desire to censor one of his constituents. But I don't believe it was. I believe it was written as an Op-Ed piece for a specific audience, namely the audience that reads Deadspin, where snarky and profane responses are par for the course. And because it was intended for this specific audience, I don't believe the overall message was lost.

I do find it funny how this parallels the Chik-Fil-A situation from earlier this year. In both cases you have someone voicing their opinion in a respectful manner, and in both cases you have people trying to censor them.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I read this a few days ago, and I commend Kluwe. While yes he was kind of crude later in the letter, sometimes keeping up with the high road doesn't help.

Staff online

Latest posts