Toby Gerhart

Reaction score
Toby Gerhart - RB - Stanford

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLh_yO41jw]YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman[/ame]

Analysis

Inside: Power back with a nice burst into an inside hole. Some vision and quick enough feet to pick through traffic and find a running lane. Effective in the I-formation and reads his fullback blocks well. Tries to fall forward on every run, often getting three or four extra yards once wrapped up by multiple defenders. Keeps both arms wrapped tight around the ball when in traffic, but put the ball on the ground too often as a senior (five fumbles) due to over-use. Not a big cutback-and-explode threat. Runs hard but won't blow up defenders in the hole like some elite power backs.

Outside: Has good straight-line speed for his size. Doesn't own a breakaway gear but is fast enough to get outside and make it hard for safeties to get the angle. Switches the ball to outside hand. Won't make a tackler miss with great elusiveness, but can cut outside or inside blocks on the edge to get into space. Shows potential running zone plays, with patience and a better cut upfield than expected.

Breaking tackles: Can spin off, bounce off or sidestep a defender near the line of scrimmage. Keeps his feet moving and runs with a good lean, allowing him to rack up yards after contact. Uses a solid stiff-arm to keep smaller defenders from cutting him down.

Blocking: Has the size and strength to succeed in pass protection. Lowers his pads to pick up blitzers up the middle and anchors well, but is inconsistent sustaining the block. Works hard to block defenders downfield or prevent defenders from chasing down his quarterback, cutting them if necessary.

Receiving: Good hands as a receiver, and can adjust to poor throws and snatch the ball with his hands. Not overly elusive after the catch, but will muscle through defensive back tackles on swing passes and pound through traffic on middle screens. Good feet to get in and out of routes and tightrope the sidelines.

Intangibles: Intelligent, hard-working athlete who takes a pounding but keeps on coming. Worked hard to rehab torn left PCL during redshirt 2007 season. Baseball question is a major issue for scouts.

NFL Comparison: Brian Leonard, Bengals

I think if we decide to go RB and can catch him in the later rounds we should get him. He can be our change of pace bruiser. Just send him in to punish the D and soften them up.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a change of pace back. More like a downhill, stronger version of grant. If you want to talk change of pace it's more like spiller, best, mccluster, dwyer, brown and holliday.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, change of pace is the exact opposite of what Gerhart's style is. Total Boom or Bust pick here. We have 3 FB's so if we do draft Gerhart and he doesn't work well as our RB, we wouldn't have him at FB since we have too many FB's as is. I think we do need a good power back, but it's nowhere near as big of a need as it is with at least 7 other positions.

OP
OP
Cincinnati Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I used the wrong choice of words when I said change of pace back but Everyone had already posted all the players I want to fill obvious needs so at the point I'm just posting players I'd like to have lol

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a change of pace back. More like a downhill, stronger version of grant. If you want to talk change of pace it's more like spiller, best, mccluster, dwyer, brown and holliday.

Am I the only one that see's Grant get touched with a string hanging off his own Jersey..........and then he falls down. We need a guy that will punish the Defense, and I don't remember us having a guy like that, for a long time. I only watched the highlight video once but I did not recall him getting tackled by one guy. It was always 2, 3, 4 guys. He can actually catch a ball too.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one that see's Grant get touched with a string hanging off his own Jersey..........and then he falls down. We need a guy that will punish the Defense, and I don't remember us having a guy like that, for a long time. I only watched the highlight video once but I did not recall him getting tackled by one guy. It was always 2, 3, 4 guys. He can actually catch a ball too.
I also think he's a terrific back, and would like to have him.

But only at later rounds. We're not build at punishing, we're build at one cut.

In the NFL, he can't drag players the way he does at college. So he's not going to be as effective.

He's still going to be so, but I don't think he'd take the starting job from Grant. People don't like him, but he just had 3 great seasons, and specially late in the season, he really came on strong.

What we NEED is a guy that has shift ability and breakaway speed. But we could certainly use Gerhard.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see him as a power running fullback. However we're stacked in that position so I'm going to have to pass.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean on short yardage?

In my understanding, the 3rd down back is used on passing downs...

The short yardage back is used on 3rd and short, and goal line situations...

But it may be a matter of semantics.
I think you are correct. So what do they call a running back used on 4th down? Just messing with ya! lol

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I luved watching him at Stafford, but I think our needs are more than another fullback type of player. Still, if he is still there in the 3rd round, I would take him. AFTER we get a offensive tackle and a cover corner/ hitting safety....

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score

I agree I wouldnt mind if the packers picked up 2 rb's in this draft, there is some decent talent. This guy is somewhat a boom or bust, but arguably he should have won the Heisman last year with his numbers. We need someone who will consistently run hard in the hole. Ryan Grant is Great sometimes, He doesn't seem to run hard at all at the beginning of a season though, so we'll see. IF he starts out cold again, dropping passes and averaging 2-3 yards a carry I would love to see him go. Toby Gerheart seems like a guy that if he couldnt make it as a RB he might be big enough to play some other positions like a FB TE or LB he plays with a kind of Raw style that would suggest he is somewhat of a project player. The Talent and value in a toby gerhart is undeniable.

Ben Tate - Auburn
Joe Mcknight - USC

would be some other backs i wouldn't mind seeing the packers draft.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree I wouldnt mind if the packers picked up 2 rb's in this draft, there is some decent talent. This guy is somewhat a boom or bust, but arguably he should have won the Heisman last year with his numbers. We need someone who will consistently run hard in the hole. Ryan Grant is Great sometimes, He doesn't seem to run hard at all at the beginning of a season though, so we'll see. IF he starts out cold again, dropping passes and averaging 2-3 yards a carry I would love to see him go. Toby Gerheart seems like a guy that if he couldnt make it as a RB he might be big enough to play some other positions like a FB TE or LB he plays with a kind of Raw style that would suggest he is somewhat of a project player. The Talent and value in a toby gerhart is undeniable.

Ben Tate - Auburn
Joe Mcknight - USC

would be some other backs i wouldn't mind seeing the packers draft.
I agree and have absolutely no idea why.

First season, he only played late.

Then, in the second, he was hurt during the early times.

But last year, he just started slow, and then launched after the half of the season. No Idea why.

But it seems like Grant starts slow the season, and then late he starts playing hard. Much like the team, that starts games slow, but finishes strong...

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems interesting but I would rather see a RB that can bring something different to the table. Something like De'Angelo Williams to Johnathan Stewart.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts