1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Toby Gerhart

Discussion in '2010 Draft Archive' started by Cincinnati Cheesehead, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Cincinnati Cheesehead

Cincinnati Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    Toby Gerhart - RB - Stanford

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLh_yO41jw]YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman[/ame]

I think if we decide to go RB and can catch him in the later rounds we should get him. He can be our change of pace bruiser. Just send him in to punish the D and soften them up.

2. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    He's not a change of pace back. More like a downhill, stronger version of grant. If you want to talk change of pace it's more like spiller, best, mccluster, dwyer, brown and holliday.

3. ThinkICare

ThinkICare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, change of pace is the exact opposite of what Gerhart's style is. Total Boom or Bust pick here. We have 3 FB's so if we do draft Gerhart and he doesn't work well as our RB, we wouldn't have him at FB since we have too many FB's as is. I think we do need a good power back, but it's nowhere near as big of a need as it is with at least 7 other positions.

4. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    I have no basis for this, but I don't think Mike Alstott types work in the NFL anymore.

5. Cincinnati Cheesehead

Cincinnati Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    I think I used the wrong choice of words when I said change of pace back but Everyone had already posted all the players I want to fill obvious needs so at the point I'm just posting players I'd like to have lol

6. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    Am I the only one that see's Grant get touched with a string hanging off his own Jersey..........and then he falls down. We need a guy that will punish the Defense, and I don't remember us having a guy like that, for a long time. I only watched the highlight video once but I did not recall him getting tackled by one guy. It was always 2, 3, 4 guys. He can actually catch a ball too.

7. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I also think he's a terrific back, and would like to have him.

But only at later rounds. We're not build at punishing, we're build at one cut.

In the NFL, he can't drag players the way he does at college. So he's not going to be as effective.

He's still going to be so, but I don't think he'd take the starting job from Grant. People don't like him, but he just had 3 great seasons, and specially late in the season, he really came on strong.

What we NEED is a guy that has shift ability and breakaway speed. But we could certainly use Gerhard.

8. packerfan191

packerfan191 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we use Gerhard as a 3rd down back possibly.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    You mean on short yardage?

In my understanding, the 3rd down back is used on passing downs...

The short yardage back is used on 3rd and short, and goal line situations...

But it may be a matter of semantics.

10. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I could see him as a power running fullback. However we're stacked in that position so I'm going to have to pass.

11. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    I think you are correct. So what do they call a running back used on 4th down? Just messing with ya! lol

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    A wide receiver?

13. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I luved watching him at Stafford, but I think our needs are more than another fullback type of player. Still, if he is still there in the 3rd round, I would take him. AFTER we get a offensive tackle and a cover corner/ hitting safety....

14. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77

I agree I wouldnt mind if the packers picked up 2 rb's in this draft, there is some decent talent. This guy is somewhat a boom or bust, but arguably he should have won the Heisman last year with his numbers. We need someone who will consistently run hard in the hole. Ryan Grant is Great sometimes, He doesn't seem to run hard at all at the beginning of a season though, so we'll see. IF he starts out cold again, dropping passes and averaging 2-3 yards a carry I would love to see him go. Toby Gerheart seems like a guy that if he couldnt make it as a RB he might be big enough to play some other positions like a FB TE or LB he plays with a kind of Raw style that would suggest he is somewhat of a project player. The Talent and value in a toby gerhart is undeniable.

Ben Tate - Auburn
    Joe Mcknight - USC

would be some other backs i wouldn't mind seeing the packers draft.

15. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I agree and have absolutely no idea why.

First season, he only played late.

Then, in the second, he was hurt during the early times.

But last year, he just started slow, and then launched after the half of the season. No Idea why.

But it seems like Grant starts slow the season, and then late he starts playing hard. Much like the team, that starts games slow, but finishes strong...

16. every1else

every1else Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    He seems interesting but I would rather see a RB that can bring something different to the table. Something like De'Angelo Williams to Johnathan Stewart.