Time to end the Pro Bowl

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like the "loser bowl" that they used to play, it's time for the Pro Bowl to disappear. Many of the players who should be honored each year don't make the team, and it's become increasingly common for elected players to skip the event. So you've got a scrimmage between 2 teams composed of "all stars" only because they show up, none of whom could care less about winning. It does probably add to the coffers of the NFL, which, of course, is the most important reason it's held.

Ratings have been terrible over the last 10 years (even though they were up last year, they're still over 25% lower than in 2000), and viewership is about 1/2 of an average NFL regular season game.

It's so bad, I'd almost rather watch the UConn girls play basketball. Not that there's anything wrong with UConn girls basketball.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if some QB could beat the 3 elected QB to the NFC team in the play offs something will change next year.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
They should do it mid way through the season and have it like in the NBA and NHL.
No matter when they do it, the players aren't going to care or try, no more fans are going to watch it, and the representation of players voted in isn't going to be any better.

They have to play it for the idea of having the best players in the game all play together. All sports do it, and they can't get rid of it. IMO, it will always suck though.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree JB!

Cancel it and give all the revenue that would have been involved with the ads, players, league, etc. to The Wounded Warrior Project. The wounded need it and the citizenry would be reminded we are at unconscionable war(s).

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that wont happen due to chance of injury. maybe they should hold an all rookie game before the draft just for like a one last showcase for the scouts.

I always liked the college all-star game that kicked off each season, except for the 1963 game.

If they go to an 18 game season it's going to be tough to find anyone healthy enough to play in any extra game, before or after the season.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the Pro Bowl in 2002, it was nothing more than a big party and vacation for the players. I have to admit that I did have a great time, and being a fan of the NFL, it was fun to see the players and be able to interact with them.. (well, most of them, there were the "diva's" with 8 body guards and didn't want to be so much as looked at)

But to think it actually has any bearing on the NFL is just dumb. The game was boring as hell, even in person. Most of the people in the stands were locals who didn't give a crap about the game... it was just something to do that day.

I'm glad I had the experience, but it's really lost it's luster over the years.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, if you're lucky enough to be in Hawaii I guess you might think about going to the game. But probably not.

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl sucks, its extremely boring. I think the MLB All Star is the best out of any sport. They can go all out because the game means something. In the Pro Bowl the tacking like is a girl who doesn't want to fall down a get dirty. I understand you don't wanna injure anyone but damn, its so boring. Like the NHL All Star game, I like to see some defense. I don't wanna see one guy get through to the net everytime and score because no one will play defense.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
maybe the pro bowl should offer an incentive to the players. like if a team wins then they all get 100 grand each. i know thats nothin for some of them. but thats why i said it should be an all rookie game pre draft. you know they would play their hearts out for a 100 grand after most of them played college football the right way and didnt get paid

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100,000 isn't much for the 1st and 2nd round picks.

The size and speed of today's players has made the game more violent than ever, and the players are rightfully worried about an injury in a game that literally means nothing. Drew Brees dislocated his L elbow a few years ago--which wasn't a career threatening injury--but why risk it on a meaningless game. Even the flag football game they play ruined a running back's knee in the late 90's (Edwards). It isn't worth it.

I'll bet 80% of the fans on this forum don't bother to watch it.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the Pro Bowl in 2002, it was nothing more than a big party and vacation for the players. I have to admit that I did have a great time, and being a fan of the NFL, it was fun to see the players and be able to interact with them.. (well, most of them, there were the "diva's" with 8 body guards and didn't want to be so much as looked at)

But to think it actually has any bearing on the NFL is just dumb. The game was boring as hell, even in person. Most of the people in the stands were locals who didn't give a crap about the game... it was just something to do that day.

I'm glad I had the experience, but it's really lost it's luster over the years.

How do the players know when they're on vacation?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Hawaii more than life itself almost, but I hate the Pro Bowl, and I was glad last year the NFL cut the budget and made those guys play in Miami, the site of the Super Bowl, instead.

This sport is so violent and dangerous (as we Packer fans know with 36 guys on IR this season), that the game is a joke. I don't want guys getting hurt and that's half of what this sport is about. Cancel the game. Just name All Pro teams, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Let the NFL save that money and put it into building a supersize stadium in Hawaii, and have the Super Bowl there every year! OK, not every year, but often.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do the players know when they're on vacation?

Well, they were supposed to be having team meetings and practices the week we were there, but probably 50% of them, if not more were fined for skipping out on multiple occasions.

They were hanging out at the beach, shopping, clubbing etc.

Staff online

Members online