Three Packers make Pro Bowl.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering the Packers currently have a rookie starting at ILB, it's completely false to say nobody was brought in. The injury to Barrington early on makes Clay playing inside necessary.

Just my opinion, but a fourth round rookie doesn't count as bringing in immediate help, which has proven true since he's not been very good (which is what you'd expect from a fourth round rookie).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Daniels was taken three picks later in the 2012 draft. Just say'n. IMO Thompson and staff saw Randall and Rollins as better values (and also needs BTW) than the ILBs available at those picks. And I believed them when they said Ryan was a good value where he was picked. We really won't know for a season or two IMO.

Daniels didn't start playing well until the second half of his second year. Perhaps Ryan will follow the same trajectory (fans can only hope!) but counting on him during his rookie season doesn't make sense considering the history of fourth round picks.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long did it take for Ryan to become a starter? And then pretty much only because the guy in front of him was stinking up the joint.
Ryan's play so far has been pretty much in line with the scout's consensus I've seen. A limited guy who will be a decent backup, but you don't want him out there too long.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but a fourth round rookie doesn't count as bringing in immediate help, which has proven true since he's not been very good (which is what you'd expect from a fourth round rookie).
It was admittedly a weak year at ILB. I don't think he was the wrong pick if that's the position they were looking to fill, but there had to be some UFAs out there who were at least as good.

This team has an awful lot of glaring needs each year for a perennial playoff team. Right now, our LT is in need of an upgrade, and the TE and ILB situations are some of the worst in the league. The secondary is all but solidified, with young players who could easily regress, and an aging OLB.

Sorry, but TT's plan sucks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I've posted numerous times I wish Thompson would use UFAs to fill immediate needs but remember, Barrington was being counted on to start at ILB at the time of the draft. Even so, I don't see the Packers situation at ILB as among the worst in the league since Matthews is playing a lot of snaps there (but TE is) and young players in the solidified secondary could just as easily progress as regress. IMO the latter is more likely. Trying to make the Packers situation at DB a negative is .... interesting.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was admittedly a weak year at ILB. I don't think he was the wrong pick if that's the position they were looking to fill, but there had to be some UFAs out there who were at least as good.

This team has an awful lot of glaring needs each year for a perennial playoff team. Right now, our LT is in need of an upgrade, and the TE and ILB situations are some of the worst in the league. The secondary is all but solidified, with young players who could easily regress, and an aging OLB.

Sorry, but TT's plan sucks.

Yeah, his plan sucks so bad he's done better than nearly every GM in the league.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've posted numerous times I wish Thompson would use UFAs to fill immediate needs but remember, Barrington was being counted on to start at ILB at the time of the draft. Even so, I don't see the Packers situation at ILB as among the worst in the league since Matthews is playing a lot of snaps there (but TE is) and young players in the solidified secondary could just as easily progress as regress. IMO the latter is more likely. Trying to make the Packers situation at DB a negative is .... interesting.

Maybe it would somehow be better if the secondary was old and had no chance of getting even better...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, middle of the road defense each year and an average offense once one receiver goes down. He's done so well.

So when you take a took at his career with Green Bay, that's all you see? Good job only looking at the negatives.

The fact is only two teams in the league have had more success than him while TT has been with the Packers.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So when you take a took at his career with Green Bay, that's all you see? Good job only looking at the negatives.

The fact is only two teams in the league have had more success than him while TT has been with the Packers.
You mean "only the negatives" as what we've witnessed every year since 2010? They haven't been good enough to compete with the best teams. You can say he's top 5, but that doesn't mean much if the other 4's players can wipe the floor with yours.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's also true that if the Packers don't win another Super Bowl during Rodgers career it should be considered a major disappointment. And as of right now we're farther away from adding another Lombardi Trophy than we've been in a long time.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also true that if the Packers don't win another Super Bowl during Rodgers career it should be considered a major disappointment. And as of right now we're farther away from adding another Lombardi Trophy than we've been in a long time.
Exactly. Any other team who has Rodgers would realize what they have and fill the holes and add depth through free agency. Instead of drafting players who may or may not transition well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT also took over a bad team and got it to the NFC Championship. Then turned a 6-10 team into a Super Bowl winner.

I wouldn't trust another regime to come in a do the same considering TT has shown so much success.

D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly. Any other team who has Rodgers would realize what they have and fill the holes and add depth through free agency. Instead of drafting players who may or may not transition well.

There's no doubt in my mind that Thompson should use free agency more often but it's not the cure to all Packers woes either. He has to improve his draft record as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

TT also took over a bad team and got it to the NFC Championship. Then turned a 6-10 team into a Super Bowl winner.

I wouldn't trust another regime to come in a do the same considering TT has shown so much success.

There's no denying that Thompson did a marvelous job in building a Super Bowl winner. He hasn't been nearly as good over the last few years though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying that Thompson did a marvelous job in building a Super Bowl winner. He hasn't been nearly as good over the last few years though.

He did build a team good enough to win it all last season. Unfortunately, a complete meltdown prevented that from happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

He did build a team good enough to win it all last season. Unfortunately, a complete meltdown prevented that from happening.

I agree that Thompson did a good job in the 2014 offseason addressing position of needs by adding Peppers and Clinton-Dix although ignoring ILB. Still he missed on several draft picks as well.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the draft, that would be a crapshoot.
IMHO unless Ted improves his draft record and OR becomes more aggressive in an effort to put another Lombardi in Title Town this off season, and next season, if we see more of what we have seen in 2015, in 2017 both TT and MM should be shown the door.