Three Moves For 2022 Push To Consider...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy of mine always love posing discussion points which then of course cause us to drink way too much bourbon and talk about things for way way too long. Now we don't typically go down the BIG or MASSIVE unlikely scenario type stuff as that isn't Gute or the Packers' style - arguably shouldn't be often times.

Here are the three moves bounced around...thoughts on them?

#1 - Kevin King...familiar and capable...at what point and price do you sign him as a FA?
Compensatory impact is over for signings of Free Agents...so he wouldn't hurt anything there. Last year we nabbed him for $5M...with each ticking day he plays the gamble of taking less and less...do you offer him same as last year to have one of the strongest CB rooms with him as your #4? $4M? $3.5M with incentives?

Adding a dependable #4 CB is perhaps one of the quiet and overlooked by many ways of upgrading this defense which has just simply been upgraded time and time again this off season through signings and now the draft. We have the space...I'm in at $4M....negotiate incentives to reach higher and I think everyone would understand doing the move with no CBs drafted in the draft and our 4th being either SJC, Ento or newly signed Keisean who hasn't really done anything special outside of special teams.

***Other avenues for same position do exist in the veteran CB market but King has the familiarity.

#2 - Sign a veteran tight end like Jared Cook or Kyle Rudolph...
The 2022 campaign offensively in many ways might go the way of Tonyan as much as it does the way of the WR room. If Tonyan comes back fully healthy and hits the ground running as he did in 2020 and lesser degree in 2021 -this season might just be special for Aaron and the team. However, like having King come in as a depth helper...a Cook type signing would offer a TE if Tonyan takes time that offers a more receiving threat than Lewis and still proven capable TE in line.

#3 - Believe in DL room without Lowry enough to trade or cut him....and turn him into another addition.
I don't think anyone envisioned Wyatt being there from the sounds of it on draft night....so here we sit with Clark, Reed, Wyatt and Slaton and Heflin without even mentioning Lowry (or the rookie drafted in the 7th Ford). IF Green Bay feels confident in the direction of Wyatt, progression of Slaton and fit of Reed....Lowry offers immense cap savings which perhaps Gute and Co. would love to turn into someone else at a different position?
Interesting stuff. I'd let King go. He has no goodwill in GB after the NFCCG loss to Tampa. And everyone looks at him and sees TJ Watt. That's not King's fault, but his time in GB is over.

Ao cut Lowry and use his money on a #4 CB, from FA if there are any out there.

If he can produce at 50% of what he did last time in GB, bring him back. Keep him until Tonyan returns, or keep him all season. Should cost about $3 mil/year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't studied contracts and teams that may have a TE cap casualty that would be of note...could be an option as well.
Good idea Ty but could GB afford a cap casualty? They aren't swimming in cap money unless they rework Jaire's contract (which they better get done).

Reaction score
It's outright crazy to suggest having King as your #4 cornerback would be anything else than amazing.
As a #4 he’d probably see ST also. He’s been pretty good attacking downhill closer or behind the LOS.l on screens etc.. And done don’t recognize he’s physical and can tackle, that’s not his weakness. His weakness is being left on an island without dedicated Safety help over top.
Coverage on ST and as a substitute in the Slot? Now that’s a place he’d thrive and be an upgrade over someone like Malik Taylor or the Isaac Yiadom types. Replace those guys with Kevin King and Tariq Carpenter types.

I don’t expect King would sign at minimum, but my guess is in that $2-3M range he might bite

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good idea Ty but could GB afford a cap casualty? They aren't swimming in cap money unless they rework Jaire's contract (which they better get done).

Honestly, we have a decent amount of change in space for a move or two...if we extended Jaire or cut Lowry even more could be freed up.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a #4 he’d probably see ST also. He’s been pretty good attacking downhill closer or behind the LOS.l on screens etc.. And done don’t recognize he’s physical and can tackle, that’s not his weakness. His weakness is being left on an island without dedicated Safety help over top.
Coverage on ST and as a substitute in the Slot? Now that’s a place he’d thrive and be an upgrade over someone like Malik Taylor or the Isaac Yiadom types. Replace those guys with Kevin King and Tariq Carpenter types.

I don’t expect King would sign at minimum, but my guess is in that $2-3M range he might bite

He got $5M last year and played well. I would assume with incentives perhaps he is looking at similar. $3.5M will chance at $5M if all is met could be a similar to what we see happen for him IMO

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true. At this point I'd rather bring in a fast TE, someone who could score 5-10 TDs a year or more. And someone to push Tonyan.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting stuff. I'd let King go. He has no goodwill in GB after the NFCCG loss to Tampa. And everyone looks at him and sees TJ Watt. That's not King's fault, but his time in GB is over.

Just for the record, King is currently a free agent. With that being said he would definitely be an upgrade as the #4 cornerback over most everyone else currently available.

The Packers have close to $5 million of effective cap space available for this season. They could make a move to improve the roster.

At this point I'd rather bring in a fast TE, someone who could score 5-10 TDs a year or more. And someone to push Tonyan.

Unfortunately I don't believe there's such a tight end available for a decent price.

Reaction score
I’m not sure what Kevin King would want. But if we could get him in that ~$3M range with a few small incentives? That would make some logical sense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure what Kevin King would want. But if we could get him in that ~$3M range with a few small incentives? That would make some logical sense.
I guess so. If there's no one else better, keep him around for $3m. He knows the system. And he's not a starter anymore, so that limits his possible damage.

Reaction score
At this point I’m not sure the Packers feel TE is a need, just based on no activity in 11 draft selections. However, if we were able to work a trade of some consequence for a good, downfield threat. I’d be watching for TE’s in a trade scenario. At least an option where their contracts are coming due and haven’t been offered an extension before trade deadline. Gesicki comes to mind if Miami isn’t rolling by midseason.

I just feel like TE is an area that needs improvement. On the Defensive side it’s been ILB and we just rectified that. We can’t continue to expect that TE position group won’t have another injury and we need a better backup plan than Lewis or Deguara to light up the stadium downfield. :confused:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I’m not sure the Packers feel TE is a need, just based on no activity in 11 draft selections. However, if we were able to work a trade of some consequence for a good, downfield threat. I’d be watching for TE’s in a trade scenario. At least an option where their contracts are coming due and haven’t been offered an extension before trade deadline. Gesicki comes to mind if Miami isn’t rolling by midseason.

I just feel like TE is an area that needs improvement. On the Defensive side it’s been ILB and we just rectified that. We can’t continue to expect that TE position group won’t have another injury and we need a better backup plan than Lewis or Deguara to light up the stadium downfield. :confused:

MLF’s play calling and game planning has never expected Lewis to be any type of receiving threat beyond red zone and short routes.

Likewise Deguara is not a piece expected to stretch the seam deep as that isn’t him, but he is 100% a receiving threat having broken the Cinci records at the position with some TEs in the top list that many would recognize.
L

Reaction score
MLF’s play calling and game planning has never expected Lewis to be any type of receiving threat beyond red zone and short routes.

Likewise Deguara is not a piece expected to stretch the seam deep as that isn’t him, but he is 100% a receiving threat having broken the Cinci records at the position with some TEs in the top list that many would recognize.
L
Yes. I’d still go get Cook, he’s good enough to push Tonyan for a starting role and he just might take a ~$3M type offer.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I’d still go get Cook, he’s good enough to push Tonyan for a starting role and he just might take a ~$3M type offer.
Agreed. Ironic because GB could have kept Cook for $3m when he left the team. Bad decision to let him walk.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

L
Agreed. Lewis and Deguarra are the in-line blocking TEs. They'll catch a few balls, but mostly on check downs. Packers should sign Cook as insurance until Tonyan gets back.

Reaction score
Agreed. Lewis and Deguarra are the in-line blocking TEs. They'll catch a few balls, but mostly on check downs. Packers should sign Cook as insurance until Tonyan gets back.
As far as any other Packers TE (Tyler Davis etc..) stash them on PS, it’s highly unlikely they get poached by a competitor. They can always be brought back up to the 53 if a TE goes out for any reason.

I just think that having a couple TE who excel at catching the ball is preferable until all these Rookie Receivers get acquainted.
Obviously I’d settle for Julio though if that’s all we can get ;)

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Ironic because GB could have kept Cook for $3m when he left the team. Bad decision to let him walk.

For the N-th time (not necessarily at you, just the forum in general.)

We offered Cook a contract. Cook's agent rejected it. We got Bennett (bad in hindsight, great at the time). Cook ends up signing a deal for LESS than we offered him. Cook (reportedly) fires his agent as a result.

This was was on his camp, not the Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the N-th time (not necessarily at you, just the forum in general.)

We offered Cook a contract. Cook's agent rejected it. We got Bennett (bad in hindsight, great at the time). Cook ends up signing a deal for LESS than we offered him. Cook (reportedly) fires his agent as a result.

This was was on his camp, not the Packers.
Thanks. I didn't know all of these details. I thought the Saints and Packers both offered him $3 mil and he went to NOLA. Sounds like he had a lousy agent and lousy "friends" around him. As I recall, he had at least one very good year in GB. I remember him catching that 33 yard pass from Rodgers along the sideline to set up a winning FG in a Dallas playoff game.

And I didn't know that Bennett followed him. That would have been the right decision if Bennett had any intentions of fulfilling the contract. I think GB paid him around $6 mil and never got a penny back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as any other Packers TE (Tyler Davis etc..) stash them on PS, it’s highly unlikely they get poached by a competitor. They can always be brought back up to the 53 if a TE goes out for any reason.

I just think that having a couple TE who excel at catching the ball is preferable until all these Rookie Receivers get acquainted.
Obviously I’d settle for Julio though if that’s all we can get ;)
Well now that Alexander has signed his deal, don't be surprised if they bring JJ on board.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m really hoping the packers don’t bring in Julio. He’s going to be hurt most of the season, and take snaps away from the rookies early in the season when those rookies REALLY need the reps. Packers will win the NFC North easily while the rookies learn but the packers are going to need those rookies to be experienced come playoff time and i think Julio keeps the packers from doing that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m really hoping the packers don’t bring in Julio. He’s going to be hurt most of the season, and take snaps away from the rookies early in the season when those rookies REALLY need the reps. Packers will win the NFC North easily while the rookies learn but the packers are going to need those rookies to be experienced come playoff time and i think Julio keeps the packers from doing that.
Interesting. It might be worth it if he wasn't injured so much. And yeah, the rookies gotta play. I'm still in favor of bringing on another veteran WR. Maybe they can get someone decent now that Alexander's signing frees up 2022 cap.

Members online

Latest posts