Thoughts on the Packers 2021 Draft Class

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the point it is that just because you have rookies taking snaps; it does not mean that we are strong in that position or that we might prefer someone else. Hopefully it does but some guys just stick around because a team has other positions they are concentrating on or they are putting the good old "hope" on a young guy.
thank god somebody is able to understand english.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am only saying that using number of snaps to try and determine the quality of this or that draft is not a good metric. That stat is dependent on too many other things. Just as how many players that you drafted end up playing in a pro bowl is not. Because a lot of good players never play in a pro bowl. Unless, of course, you had a bunch of them. Then you could say that was a great draft. A lot of it is subjective. imho
since i am not allowed to give you a thumbs up, here is a +1

Reaction score
thank god somebody is able to understand english.
Sly remarks don’t make your argument/position look any better. If anything they make me question your future ability to hold an intelligent argument on a relatively simple question.
I’ll credit @gopkrs in taking the initiative to defend your response to my post. At least he was competent in his response (although it was directed at you) without taking unnecessary jabs.

Last edited:

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sly remarks don’t make your argument/position look any better. If anything they make me question your future ability to hold an intelligent argument on a relatively simple question.
I’ll credit @gopkrs in taking the initiative to defend your response to my post. At least he was competent in his response (although it was directed at you) without taking unnecessary jabs.
i apologize. i'm still learning who the alpha dogs are here.

Reaction score
i apologize. i'm still learning who the alpha dogs are here.
Oh it’s ok Packer brother. I’m more like a Delta anyhow. I’m merely a derivative of the Alpha, a lowly discriminant of a quadratic equation. Here’s to hoping the snaps convert, then we both win

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the meantime. At this point in time
Is it a positive that lots of members of the 2021 class won playing time? Or are you saying it’s negative. Take your pick before kickoff.

I’ll start. I Say it’s absolutely terrific for that group. I’m elated.
I think I can say that I don't know yet. You are talking about playing time in this pre-season right? Or are you referring to our O-line? Anyway, just don't know yet. I think it's good to get a good look in pre-season.

Reaction score
I think I can say that I don't know yet. You are talking about playing time in this pre-season right? Or are you referring to our O-line? Anyway, just don't know yet. I think it's good to get a good look in pre-season.
No no. I meant comparative to last season etc.. where we basically didn’t produce 1 starter on O or D. Very little past that as far as any production whatsoever for drafting 9 players in 2020. Although as I pointed out, Deguara appeared poised to be as a high usage backup until he suffered injury

In 2021, we open with 2 bonafide Rookie starters (Center/RG)That doesn’t include Amari or Stokes who are obvious guys you’d like to get involved or guys that should conceivably contribute as the season progresses (Slaton, Hill, etc..).

To your question. I care far less about preseason, those snaps are not nearly as valuable because they are just testing players against guys who aren’t good enough to make final cuts.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No no. I meant comparative to last season etc.. where we basically didn’t produce 1 starter on O or D. Very little past that as far as any production whatsoever for drafting 9 players in 2020. Although as I pointed out, Deguara appeared poised to be as a high usage backup until he suffered injury

In 2021, we open with 2 bonafide Rookie starters (Center/RG)That doesn’t include Amari or Stokes who are obvious guys you’d like to get involved or guys that should conceivably contribute as the season progresses (Slaton, Hill, etc..).

To your question. I care far less about preseason, those snaps are not nearly as valuable because they are just testing players against guys who aren’t good enough to make final cuts.
I'll say that I am very optimistic about this season. We have basically the same team but I just think we will put it all together. Starting tomorrow.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reflecting back....here we are entering week 14 and all but one of our draftees are or would be on active roster if it weren't for injuries (Kylin Hill and Josh Myers)

I mean seriously to only have ONE (Van Lanen) pick actually spending serious time on the PS is just incredible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reflecting back....here we are entering week 14 and all but one of our draftees are or would be on active roster if it weren't for injuries (Kylin Hill and Josh Myers)

I mean seriously to only have ONE (Van Lanen) pick actually spending serious time on the PS is just incredible.
I was pretty happy after that draft, it's proving to be a good one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All indications point to it potentially panning out as a very good one...time will paint full picture but man I feel good about the group.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it's pretty amazing that eight of nine draft picks have received playing time for a team that is 9-3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's pretty amazing that eight of nine draft picks have received playing time for a team that is 9-3.

I tried just going off of memory and couldn't think of another draft class of recent memory that even comes close to this much activity snap wise? You?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No clear misses which is good to see. Like it that almost all have gotten their feet wet.

D

Deleted member 6794

I tried just going off of memory and couldn't think of another draft class of recent memory that even comes close to this much activity snap wise? You?

The 2021 draft class is on pace to play a combined total of 2,731 snaps on offense and defense this season. To compre thst with other seasons don't forget the team will play 17 games this season.

That is a huge increase over the 652 snaps by last year's class. The last that ended up playing more snaps was the one from 2018 (2,742).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2021 draft class is on pace to play a combined total of 2,731 snaps on offense and defense this season. To compre thst with other seasons don't forget the team will play 17 games this season.

That is a huge increase over the 652 snaps by last year's class. The last that ended up playing more snaps was the one from 2018 (2,742).

Just in snap counts that is nuts. I also would think it has to be one of the most active classes to see playing time at each pick nearly. I'd argue most of the time if you were playing this many of your picks in some capacity you are not going to be in the hunt for the #1 seed, but rather bottom of the league. Crazy.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day too. So far I think it's been a really big success overall. I've repeatedly been really impressed with Stokes and I can't wait to see once he and Jaire finally start getting significant minutes together. Myers looks like a long-term starting-quality player, and while I don't know if Newman's going to be a high-quality starter over the long-term, I also feel like his "floor" is that of a really good quality depth/rotation player on the line. I'm a Florida fan for college ball and was super stoked when we added TJ Slaton. For me that guy's just a freak athlete - esp. for his size - and it wouldn't surprise me if he's getting regular starting minutes sooner than later. SJ-C and McDuffie have been at worst good ST contributors (Though, to be fair, our ST unit as a whole is...problematic), and Kylin Hill looked really promising to me (how did he fall to the 7th?) before injury. To be honest, the only one that I've really found to be disappointing so far is Amari Rodgers. I was really excited to hear that we'd added him and had high hopes, but he's pretty much been a non-factor on offense and has been poor in the return game. If nothing else, I hope to see him get more involved in the offense next season. I don't think his future is as a return man.

But, still, overall that's a resounding success for me.

D

Deleted member 6794

To be honest, the only one that I've really found to be disappointing so far is Amari Rodgers. I was really excited to hear that we'd added him and had high hopes, but he's pretty much been a non-factor on offense and has been poor in the return game.

I fully expected Amari Rodgers to not have a huge impact on offense once the Packers traded for Cobb. I'm disappointed in him as a returner as well though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once Cobb was in the mix, I didn't expect this year either, but I expected more than what we're seeing. Everytime I think he's gaining some confidence and will turn a corner, he comes back and looks completely over his head right and flounders. I still think he has what it takes to be pretty good, but he has some mental hurdles to overcome first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts