Thoughts on the Packers 2021 Draft Class

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta find the article now again, but read a write up expressing the thought process of the RAS calculations are GOLD when the player fits the prototypical position mold. One of their examples was the slot position WR. The height and weight lines of slot receivers in the way WR RAS is calculated automatically knocks them down quite severely...and they must be a freak of an athlete elsewhere to make up for it and break 8, let alone get above 9...but he then took it a step further and used Amari Rodgers as a prime example. RAS illustrates what the body is capable but not the player necessarily. Rodgers breaks and anticipation explodes off the tape when watched - which is why many GMs appear to have "ignored" his RAS to a point.

He also brought up something I do as well, Newman is prime example. Everyone except one SI article says he has 32.25 arms, I foresee a move into guard, which changes his RAS from 7.59 to 8.72.

All that to say, the break from the normal 8.00 threshold didn't shock me, given the player types they were in three cases (Kylin just isn't that quick cone oriented type guy, but like Amari he puts up excellent film and projects well nontheless):

Amari Rodgers - His measurables indicate a RB, but his vision and hand skills have long since made a move to WR the gold move for him. RAS is great, and I use it heavily, but as many on the draft discussions know I didn't care and LOVED Amari. When you watch his film you see immense anticipation, ability to break his defender off in routes or their ankles with the ball - his vision and ability to anticipate cannot be measured and calculated. He also clearly plays different in pads and between the lines than with shorts on.

Slaton - Makes sense his RAS would be lower than the 8.00 - and honestly is shocking it is nearly there as is (7.96). This dude is BIG, which is why his number is dragged down due to shuttle and cone - change those figures to a 5 rating (which is still not great) and his number skyrockets. The thing that always boggled my mind was his 10 yard split of his at his size, it is ludacris really. His much larger than normal size however, alone is why I wasn't too worried. Really any DL that flirts with or breaks 325 - I've always lowered my RAS desired to about 7.5 or so personally.

Shemar Jean-Charles - His RAS took hits just as Amari or Slaton's did in that his size measurables from the start don't do him any favors...however his play style also is one that I think a team must rely on the tape and not the measurables for. One analyst I was listening to on the draft day coverage on ESPN radio stated Shemar is a very responsive player, and how he explained it was that as every defender knows the advantage goes to the receiver every play in that they know the play call, they know the route coming...the defender must be quick in response and the common term folks use is "mirror". Shemar excels with quick twitch responsive movements and while his measurables don't appear to illustrate an amazing DB, his play and constant ability to break up throws and such make him a Day 3 guy Defensive coordinators would love to see if he can do that at the next level with very little risk.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I gotta find the article now again, but read a write up expressing the thought process of the RAS calculations are GOLD when the player fits the prototypical position mold. One of their examples was the slot position WR. The height and weight lines of slot receivers in the way WR RAS is calculated automatically knocks them down quite severely...and they must be a freak of an athlete elsewhere to make up for it and break 8, let alone get above 9...but he then took it a step further and used Amari Rodgers as a prime example. RAS illustrates what the body is capable but not the player necessarily. Rodgers breaks and anticipation explodes off the tape when watched - which is why many GMs appear to have "ignored" his RAS to a point.

He also brought up something I do as well, Newman is prime example. Everyone except one SI article says he has 32.25 arms, I foresee a move into guard, which changes his RAS from 7.59 to 8.72.

All that to say, the break from the normal 8.00 threshold didn't shock me, given the player types they were in three cases (Kylin just isn't that quick cone oriented type guy, but like Amari he puts up excellent film and projects well nontheless):

Amari Rodgers - His measurables indicate a RB, but his vision and hand skills have long since made a move to WR the gold move for him. RAS is great, and I use it heavily, but as many on the draft discussions know I didn't care and LOVED Amari. When you watch his film you see immense anticipation, ability to break his defender off in routes or their ankles with the ball - his vision and ability to anticipate cannot be measured and calculated. He also clearly plays different in pads and between the lines than with shorts on.

Slaton - Makes sense his RAS would be lower than the 8.00 - and honestly is shocking it is nearly there as is (7.96). This dude is BIG, which is why his number is dragged down due to shuttle and cone - change those figures to a 5 rating (which is still not great) and his number skyrockets. The thing that always boggled my mind was his 10 yard split of his at his size, it is ludacris really. His much larger than normal size however, alone is why I wasn't too worried. Really any DL that flirts with or breaks 325 - I've always lowered my RAS desired to about 7.5 or so personally.

Shemar Jean-Charles - His RAS took hits just as Amari or Slaton's did in that his size measurables from the start don't do him any favors...however his play style also is one that I think a team must rely on the tape and not the measurables for. One analyst I was listening to on the draft day coverage on ESPN radio stated Shemar is a very responsive player, and how he explained it was that as every defender knows the advantage goes to the receiver every play in that they know the play call, they know the route coming...the defender must be quick in response and the common term folks use is "mirror". Shemar excels with quick twitch responsive movements and while his measurables don't appear to illustrate an amazing DB, his play and constant ability to break up throws and such make him a Day 3 guy Defensive coordinators would love to see if he can do that at the next level with very little risk.

I'm not saying you're wrong about his arm length, but it's not correct that everyone other than SI has him at 32.25".

Here is mockdraftable.

Here is PFF.

Here is espn.

And you already mentioned SI.

I think the discrepancy is that he had one measurement at the Sr. Bowl and a different one at his Pro Day. I don't know which is accurate, or more accurate. But it seemed that the Packers feel he can play tackle, given Jon-Eric Sullivan's comments on the selection.

Joe Thomas was talking during this draft cycle about his arm length measurements are notoriously unscientific. There's not set process for where you start the measurement. So you get a lot of variation in results. But a different of 1.5" is quite a bit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong about his arm length, but it's not correct that everyone other than SI has him at 32.25".

Here is mockdraftable.

Here is PFF.

Here is espn.

And you already mentioned SI.

I think the discrepancy is that he had one measurement at the Sr. Bowl and a different one at his Pro Day. I don't know which is accurate, or more accurate. But it seemed that the Packers feel he can play tackle, given Jon-Eric Sullivan's comments on the selection.

Joe Thomas was talking during this draft cycle about his arm length measurements are notoriously unscientific. There's not set process for where you start the measurement. So you get a lot of variation in results. But a different of 1.5" is quite a bit.

That's excellent news, if he is over 33 I would 100% believe he could make it at RT especially. I relied on RAS and PFN primarily which concurred on the short side - I pulled up Sullivan's comments and love they seemed to at minimum thinking Tackle for him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's excellent news, if he is over 33 I would 100% believe he could make it at RT especially. I relied on RAS and PFN primarily which concurred on the short side - I pulled up Sullivan's comments and love they seemed to at minimum thinking Tackle for him.

Yeah, I think some sites ran with his pro day and others with his sr. bowl. I guess time will tell if his length is prohibitive on the outside.

This is a microcosm of how strange this year has been from a testing perspective.

We don't really know what's reliable and what's not. When you combine that uncertainty with Gutekunst deviating from his RAS tendencies, it's hard to know what to make of it.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll start with my usual, I don't know college players, so don't know if they themselves are any good.

But by position, I think it's a good draft. I'm only surprised that including undrafted rookies we took so many OL, but not much DL. also a wee bit surprised we took a CB first after re-signing King. we were obviously still needing some quality there but thought we'd go 2nd or 3rd round.

Overall reasonably pleased

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking Myers over Creed Humphrey made ZERO sense. Humphrey is better physically, and has better tape. The Newman pick was also perplexing to me. He was embarrassed at the senior bowl and probably would've been on the board in the 7th. I'm starting to think Gute has no idea what he's doing. Starting to remind me of Matt Millen. But instead of taking WR's every draft he takes CB's.

Creed is a good player, but he reminds me a fair amount of Garret Bradbury. Bradbury also played and tested well, especially with movement skills. His problem had been he doesn’t anchor well. I fear Creed will have that same problem.

Myers also has more positional value. He can play all three inside spots, Creed can’t. Creed may play better for Kansas City, but I don’t think he would have fit what GB does as well as Myers.

TJ Lang (maybe you’ve heard of him) was a fan of both Myer and Newsome. Thinks Myers can start early. He may not end up being correct, but I bet he knows a hell of a lot more about OL than you and I do.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall the only way one can grade a draft truly before any snaps is holes or needs potentially filled; which Gute and Company threw a dart or darts at each of what most everyone can agree were our needs.

ATTEMPTING TO FILL HOLES/NEEDS: A GRADE

The rest is up to the prospects and how they perform over the coming years. My gut tells me we found a CB that will be worst case the same level as King type play...a starting center...great special teamer in McDuffie....and a starting slot receiver for years to come as well.

*Kemp - the UDFA is my darkhorse to be the steal of this rookie class....many of you know I was banging the Krys Barnes drum hard last year - while my odds of striking gold two years in a row with an UDFA, I honestly think Kemp could be the guy that shocks people at how well he does.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are correct because I thought not drafting a DE was the one hole that was left unfilled. I also like the safety UDFA they signed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are correct because I thought not drafting a DE was the one hole that was left unfilled. I also like the safety UDFA they signed.

Uphoff is the other I believe has a shot at a roster spot. I truly think outside of Amos, Savage, Alexander and Scott (King for one year) our DBs better all take notice of all the additions and guys like Stanford Samuels that was highly thought of on practice squad hopefully making growth. I would love to see a Sullivan cut and/or a Jackson cut as well because that would mean awesome growth in the position is happening!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just not seeing DE as a hole. We have at least 3 of them.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had to sit back and decompress from the Draft before I responded, so bear with me:

As much as I want to hate this Draft, I can't, however I do feel we kinda "left some in the tank" between Thursday and Saturday. I think the reason why I want to dislike this Draft is because it doesn't really pack the "Star Power" that we so often get the feeling of from other teams. You look at our Class, and you look at other teams, and it seems like we got the Subaru Outback and other teams went out and got Mustang GTs. We can only hope that one of those might turn out to be a WRX STI. That being said, Gute went out and filled holes. He didn't do what I want, or what any of us really wanted him to do, but he did what he thought was best for the Green Bay Packers; I have to respect that.

This Draft really put the 2020 Draft Class on notice. We didn't get a single starter or role player from them last year. Yes, AJ Dillon had a great game against Tennessee, but Jamaal Williams otherwise made sure he was buried on the depth chart. Hanson and Stepaniak, although injured last year might find themselves on the street after camp. Martin, Scott, and to a lesser degree Garvin appear up to the task, but are far from solid just yet. Let's hope Deguara can bounce back from his knee and contribute. Then of course there's Love, who's the ultimate feel good story, until about mid to late season of 2020, that's all we really got from the 2020 Class, feel good stories, let's see what they do this year.

Gute also showed with his selections, that if he misses he's willing to move on and swing the bat again. While the 2020 Class pretty much all dealt with injuries, they clearly didn't show enough promise to justify not drafting another 3 OL. Had Ted Thompson still been at the reigns, we'd probably hold on to guys for 3-5 years without pulling the trigger again.

Now on to the prospects:

Eric Stokes was not on my board(not that it matters), I saw some of the same things in Jackson, but he's got the athleticism that Jackson lacks. I don't see the Ahmad Carroll comparison, because he can cover. However, I wonder if the stuff that he gets away in college and won't in the pros will plague his career. I thought he COULD be available in the 2nd, but not after Picks 42-45. I felt we could possibly have grabbed him around 35-38 and possibly got a 4th or 5th for our trouble, but again Tyson Campbell went 33rd Overall, who while not being as athletic, I felt was a better true cover guy overall. There's no way to figure out how that would have played out, although the next CB didn't go until 44th with the Cowboys selecting Kelvin Joseph. However, Jevon Holland, Richie Grant, and Trevon Moehrig went 36th, 40th, and 43rd Overall respectively. But seeing as they're safeties I can't see the Dolphins, Falcons, and Raiders selecting Stokes there.

Josh Myers was the #1 Center on my board (again not that it matters, but it feels good saying it) . Myers faced the toughest competition by far and held up admirably. Landon ****erson was a close 2nd, but no way he passed the Packers Medical Staff muster. This pick was justified because Creed Humphrey went right after Myers at 63rd Overall. My biggest knock on Humphrey is that he's left handed, which sometimes can create problems for right handed QBs. Plus, there weren't any premium DLs that he faced regularly at Oklahoma, so he was the #2 C on my board. Meinerz, had he played against tougher competition would have been #2 but comes in right at #3; and as it played out didn't last until the 4th Round as I hoped. I think @Dantes or maybe @tynimiller said it best when they liked that the Packers didn't force a Tackle selection, although I was quite puzzled why Stone Forsythe fell so far. Based on how Lucas Patrick played I'd actually prefer if Myers plugged in at RG, leaving only RT, and the interim LT position up for debate.

Amari Rodgers, like Jordan Love before him....like the player, just not the pick. However, I liked this more than I did Jordan simply because Gute was literally out of options at WR who would likely make an impact Day 1. Josh Palmer and Dyami Brown went and he was literally it. Both the Texans and the Browns drafted WRs, who were right before the Packers at 89th(Nico Collins) and 91st(Anthony Schwartz), so Gute literally did what he had to.

I thought he did give too much up in the trade, but in his post-Day 2 press conference, he reminisced about how on Drafts with Ted....he would tell the guys how he wanted this player or that player. Gute and The Boys would say something to the sort of, "we could do this or that but boss that's way too much". Ted would respond, "I don't think you understand, I want the player." - ie, it didn't matter how much it cost. Gute did exactly that Friday night and after being slightly in angst about it, I fully understand the decision, I actually even love it now.

Royce Newman bothers me the most of all the selections. He has below average arm length and he has question marks regarding his strength. To me he is a Guard only prospect and would play RT in an emergency only. I know I mentioned Myers playing RG, but if he does show promise then that would push Myers over to LG, and Elgton would address the LT spot until Bakh was healthy enough to return, leaving only one question mark of RT. It's hard to assess the board, because obviously just one change at a selection would certainly alter the rest that would follow. All we can note was WHO was available after the Packers selection, which caused me to really question why Jaylon Moore wasn't selected instead, who to me offers true versatility. The other possible selection in my opinion would have been Daviyon Nixon to give Kenny Clark some help, but we'll get into that momentarily.

Tedarrell Slaton was initially on my board, and I mocked him to the Packers early on in my scouting process. However, I took him off because of his issues with his weight. You'd think the Packers had learned their lesson with players like this, because it never seems to work out for them in the long term. But if he can manage, Slaton has surprising athleticism for a guy his size, which should do wonders for Kenny Clark. I had a chance to talk to Kenny on Thursday night (yes, you read that right), and we talked about his UCLA days where he lined up pretty much everywhere but the secondary. He said in meetings with Barry and the defense overall, that's something they'd like to do more of, but couldn't go into details for obvious reasons. Slaton does just that, his size and athleticism SHOULD demand a double team, which would allow Kenny to maybe get some pressure from a 3T, 4T, and possibly 5T position. That should hopefully allow Kingsley Keke to get into a rhythm and establish some consistent play. But this is all going to depend on Slaton's development and weight management, in addition to how long it takes him to push Lancaster and Rush out of the lineup. It's safe to say Snacks Harrison will be advocating for his services elsewhere at this point.

While I do somewhat still consider Slaton a slight reach(yeah I know), you can't really argue too much about picks in the 5th Round and later, I thought his issues with his weight would have pushed him into the 6th, but with how far we pick in each round that's essentially right where his pick value is.

Shemar Jean-Charles was the most surprising pick to me, simply because of his height and athleticism question marks, which effectively took him off my board. But he's a very physical corner, and was even a 2nd-Team All-American at lil' ol' Appalachian State. He plays with an edge out there, which should fit in nicely with Jaire, and to a lesser extent Stokes, and King(who is officially now on notice). If you want my opinion about who'll ascend to the roster the fastest, it's Jean-Charles....it's either that or he'll be on the practice squad and then subsequently cut. Stokes will be out there because of his Draft position, but the guy who'll really earn it....who'll show and prove is this guy. My worst projection is maybe he makes a move to FS, which should put some pressure on Redmond to finally make some plays on a consistent basis.

Gute really threw me for a loop with his RAS score, but like somebody else said maybe they didn't trust the metrics or maybe Gute is now finally just taking "football players" for once. While athletes are certainly capable of the spectacular, a good football player can usually win out if they play disciplined and take care of the fundamentals of the game.

Cole Van Lanen seemed like a throwaway pick to me, as I had him going undrafted. I felt like he could have been the "10th Pick" as being a Green Bay native and former Badger, if there was anyone who would have been at the front of the line for an UDFA signing, it would have been the Packers for Van Lanen. Trey Smith, who's history of blood clots probably took him off over half the league's boards would have been an instant plug and play guy for me here....Gute you can't blow a 6th on a guy with a slight medical question mark? Him aside, Dazz Newsome would have been a nice option here due to what-if Amari Rodgers doesn't pan out or if the WR corps gets hit with the injury bug during the season and we might need a next man up. That's not even talking about how the roster looks in 2022 yet. But if it had to have been an OL, Larnel Coleman from UMass would have been the pick for me as he had true versatility from my research.

Isaiah McDuffie had me perplexed at his selection, he was the only prospect I don't think I had relatively any familiarity with, and I felt like I studied the Top 300 prospects pretty good. He does seem like a thumper, and from what I hear he's very smart(he ought to be going to BC) which allows him to make quick reads and diagnose what the offense is doing. I see another Oren Burks Special Teams ace, and we all know how bad we need to improve in that phase of the game. I've got no major issues with the selection, Dylan Moses did go undrafted though....but I won't go on that rant a second time, but Shaka Toney was there too. Other notables include Ben Skowronek from Notre Dame (WR/TE) and Marquiss Spencer out of Miss State (DL).

Kylin Hill seems like an MLF gadget RB to me. He's got some excellent power to his running style, but I wonder if that'll be his undoing if he ever sees a considerable workload. He can catch, which is a plus because you normally don't see that with power backs but I wonder about his pass protection since he decided to opt out after not finding a groove in Mike Leach's offense, but that may be because he has no value in the space game. Hill will be at home in 12-personnel or heavy formations but I definitely don't see 3-down value. But hey, it's a 7th right? Dexter Williams is probably not too happy with this selection though. With this being the 3rd-to-last pick in the Draft the only people on my board I would have loved to have was my Draft crush of Johnathan Adams Jr (WR), Trill Williams(DB), Drake Jackson(C), Tariq Thompson (S), Bryan Mills(CB), Jamie Newman(QB), and longtime favorite in Marvin Wilson(DL) who most likely fell off due to medical.

Again, I can't help but like the class, although there are a couple ways I would have gone differently. However I respect what Gute did, as he had to work with what he had. I just hope these all pan out like we all hope they do. If not, 2022 could leave us in a full-on rebuild. GPG.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll start with my usual, I don't know college players, so don't know if they themselves are any good.

But by position, I think it's a good draft. I'm only surprised that including undrafted rookies we took so many OL, but not much DL. also a wee bit surprised we took a CB first after re-signing King. we were obviously still needing some quality there but thought we'd go 2nd or 3rd round.

Overall reasonably pleased

Why would that be surprising with Linsley being gone and Rick Wagner being an embarrassment out there?

As to the CB pick, I love it. I suspect it's due to loading up Barry's new scheme with the ideal cover guys, hence King being kept. But also, man it would have been sweet to have Stokes to fill in for King when he was injured during that NFC championship game.

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re saying the same thing.

I believe your point is that they’ve already draft OL recently so they should try to draft starters elsewhere.

I’m saying that on day 3, you’re mostly drafting backups so it doesn’t matter if you go really deep with a position group as long as you can roster them.
I’ve been very vocal in past years of emphasizing OL. Particularly years we drafted zero or 1 or did that back to back drafts. I remember saying about 6 years ago that I think it’s wise to protect our $20,000,000 investment (that’s what his contract was at the time).

I have no problem with OL. But when we have needs at other positions, it’s time to spread the Love (no pun) to cover other areas of need.

I like what we did at CB with 2 selections. I think WR was long overdue and selecting one late day 2 was doing bare minimum. I just saw other needs at Safety, LB and DL, WR and a developmental QB in the later rounds that could’ve been addressed a bit earlier.

I will say that this Offense may very well revolve around the Running game without Aaron Rodgers. That may be our new reality and it is quite possible that was a resonated response to uncertainty with #12. That had to be on their mind and they just looked uncomfortable this draft. It was a tough spot to be in.
I respect that if that’s what their modus operation was, because it’s looking like Jordan is our new reality.

I’m critical because I love this franchise and we missed the mark last season and we needed to absolutely hit a Home Run in 2021. I feel like we got bases loaded and then RBI’d 1 Run and stranded 3 on base. We started real promising and then in day 3 we took our foot off the gas and played it safe.

Last edited:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would that be surprising with Linsley being gone and Rick Wagner being an embarrassment out there?

As to the CB pick, I love it. I suspect it's due to loading up Barry's new scheme with the ideal cover guys, hence King being kept. But also, man it would have been sweet to have Stokes to fill in for King when he was injured during that NFC championship game.
I just meant that we took 5(?) total OL, but only 1/2 DL, I would have though maybe more even at about 3 of each as the DL needs a bit more quality also

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just meant that we took 5(?) total OL, but only 1/2 DL, I would have though maybe more even at about 3 of each as the DL needs a bit more quality also

So I think some of the lack of addition along our big boys in the front of the defense is two main parts:

-Arguably our deadliest weapons outside of Clark along our front 7 are ZSmith, PSmith and Gary...getting those three on the field with Clark is something any DC will attempt to do.

-We don't run a lot of true 3-4 sets and typically only two "down" guys exist...

-The limited use of hands in the dirt bigguns in our system doesn't have a massive reliance on true DL guys. Slaton if he is even half of what his measurables illustrate and can keep his motor turned on will be an upgrade from what Lancaster and Rush both provide - with Keke and Lowry taking snaps depending on situations anyways well before any other reserves.

I had DL help coming earlier in the draft, BUT Bobby Brown and Slaton were two guys I had pegged if we waited till Day 3 in the 4th. We got one of those two in the 5th, excellent value. Kemp offers excellent versatility along the front 7 with his experience of being up or down.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

On day 3, I just think for the most part you take whoever at whatever position that you think you can develop into a useful player. The odds are so low at that point in the draft to start with, and if you narrow yourself down to a targeted position on top of that, you're really knee capping your chances.

If we're being realistic about hit rates on day 3, then if just 2 of the 5 day three picks (Runyan, Stepaniak, Hanson, Newman, Van Lanen) turned into useful guys (say one solid starter and one good backup), you did really well with those picks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On day 3, I just think for the most part you take whoever at whatever position that you think you can develop into a useful player. The odds are so low at that point in the draft to start with, and if you narrow yourself down to a targeted position on top of that, you're really knee capping your chances.

If we're being realistic about hit rates on day 3, then if just 2 of the 5 day three picks (Runyan, Stepaniak, Hanson, Newman, Van Lanen) turned into useful guys (say one solid starter and one good backup), you did really well with those picks.

Yup! I've always said if you have the normal amount of Day 3 picks, my goal would be to look back years later and see one of those guys getting a second contract offer - that would make that Day 3 a success IMO. We've done quite well IMO as of late Day 3, list of notables to an extent from 2016-2019:

Keke
Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers
JK Scott
MVS
EQSB
Hunter Bradley
Jamaal Williams
Biegel
Martinez
Lowry
Davis

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If you get an OL starter every other year on day 3 even if he takes 2 years to develop, you only need two per decade from the first two days.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup! I've always said if you have the normal amount of Day 3 picks, my goal would be to look back years later and see one of those guys getting a second contract offer - that would make that Day 3 a success IMO. We've done quite well IMO as of late Day 3, list of notables to an extent from 2016-2019:

Keke
Hollman
Dexter Williams
Ty Summers
JK Scott
MVS
EQSB
Hunter Bradley
Jamaal Williams
Biegel
Martinez
Lowry
Davis

I think the WR's of 2018 are a good example.

We spent a 4th, 5th, and a 6th on J'mon Moore, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Equanimeous St. Brown.

MVS is a really useful player and starter, EQ is a mediocre backup, and Moore flamed out.

That, if we're being realistic, is success.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's nothing dumber during a draft than calling a pick a "reach" or a "steal."

We have no idea where the actual teams valued these players. Literally the only data we have is where the drafting team picked said player. If you've watched Myers and don't think he's good, that's fine. But saying the pick is bad because some mock draft had him available later is useless analysis.

Preface: Adam Stenavich is one of the best offensive line coaches in football.

If we compared football drafting to levels of racing teams we'd have Formula 1, some kids ******** around with imports and after market performance parts and soap box derby type box cars. The NFL FOs are easily formula 1 while the media and fans make up the later two categories. Honestly even mediocre FOs do a far more thorough job of scouting players than even the better publications. Which to me makes this forums draft night angst to be hilarious.

For our purposes the draft is treated as an all hands on deck affair by any given NFL team. It's not just the scouts watching tape but also the position coaches as well who are asked to help grade prospects and the scouts/FO personnel factor in these grades when building their big board. That means that Myers was almost certainly selected in part because one of the best offensive line coaches in football graded him higher than the other guys both for fit in scheme and on an ability level. If Stenavich gave him higher marks thats case closed for me until proven otherwise on the field.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Preface: Adam Stenavich is one of the best offensive line coaches in football.

If we compared football drafting to levels of racing teams we'd have Formula 1, some kids ******** around with imports and after market performance parts and soap box derby type box cars. The NFL FOs are easily formula 1 while the media and fans make up the later two categories. Honestly even mediocre FOs do a far more thorough job of scouting players than even the better publications. Which to me makes this forums draft night angst to be hilarious.

For our purposes the draft is treated as an all hands on deck affair by any given NFL team. It's not just the scouts watching tape but also the position coaches as well who are asked to help grade prospects and the scouts/FO personnel factor in these grades when building their big board. That means that Myers was almost certainly selected in part because one of the best offensive line coaches in football graded him higher than the other guys both for fit in scheme and on an ability level. If Stenavich gave him higher marks thats case closed for me until proven otherwise on the field.

Stenavich has done a really good job since he's been with the Packers.

James Campen did a really nice job for a long time as well.

Our development of OL is a big advantage to the team. I also think that the scouting department is particularly good at recognizing the tools that will translate to the NFL at the position.

Members online

Latest posts