Thoughts on possible players getting cut loose we havent discussed

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/2014/

The 2 that stand out to me with high salaries and low dead money, while taking up a large chunk of the cap space are Tramon Williams and AJ Hawk.

Completely outside the box here, but any chance TT looks at cutting some fat?

Hawk I cannot see, as he leads the team in tackles every year. Forget the fact that this is due to teams going straight at him in both run and pass as the weak link in the middle. He did already take a cut. Any chance he takes another to stick around?

Tramon, this I can see. This contract has been overdue to get chopped up for a few seasons now. He is a liability most of the time, and the only reason ProFootballFocus has him ranked at 16th in the league is due to spurts. He spurts in chunks to the negative as well, more so when the game is on the line.

His number against the cap, as well as age makes me think he could be gone.

Thoughts? What would we do with the D and the money we save?

D

Deleted member 6794

I've said it before, there's absolutely no chance Tramon will be back with his current contract ($9.5 million cap hit). But I don't expect TT to cut him, but restructure his contract.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hawk is Capers' pet, and we have literally nobody capable of replacing him in regards to the mental part of the game.

H

HardRightEdge

Cutting Williams has been discussed before, by me anyway going back to mid-season. It's hard to overlook that doing so clears $7.5 million in cap space after accounting for dead cap. Had he finished the season the way he started it would be a foregone conclusion. His strong finish makes cutting him less of a no-brainer.

At a minimum, his 2014 money will be renegotiated away in an extension. The problem with that is he'll be 31 this coming season while at the same time playing poorly on balance in 2012 and 2013 after the shoulder injury. The late surge this season makes him problematic...is he over the injury and back to near-Pro Bowl form and how long would it last at age 31? Would he take a cheap and/or incentive laden deal?

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Bush is a vital part of the special teams, I don't think the Packers plan on cutting him.
They drafted Hyde to replace him. The two are very similar players. I agree that his release would be surprising but that's what I interpreted this thread to be about ;)

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For thoughts: http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries-cap.php?Position=CB&Year=2013

Here is a list of the top paid CBs in the league. Williams at 6th on the list. I can think of at least 6 below that would or could fill his contract number better, younger, and more productively.

He should offer to switch contracts with Shields, and I would feel much better about him being on the roster next fall.

Plus, I think that they would be more into letting a younger guy take his shot. The $$$ tied up means hes gotta be on the field at least 75% whether he is the best one for it or not.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
How do you see AJ Hawk as making to much money? That thought alone is beyond me...... maybe trimming the fat off of slack master brad jones would be a better idea rather than taking money or cutting the teams leading tackler and most durable guy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They drafted Hyde to replace him. The two are very similar players. I agree that his release would be surprising but that's what I interpreted this thread to be about ;)

Lol you are comparing Hyde to Bush? i hope you're not being serious haha. Yes Hyde can play special teams but he can also return kicks, cover, and has a nose for the football. Bush is just a solid special teams player...thats hardly being similar if you ask me. Bush is easier to replace than Hyde. I'd cut him to save money or have him take a paycut, but im not the GM.

H

HardRightEdge

Lol you are comparing Hyde to Bush? i hope you're not being serious haha. Yes Hyde can play special teams but he can also return kicks, cover, and has a nose for the football. Bush is just a solid special teams player...thats hardly being similar if you ask me. Bush is easier to replace than Hyde. I'd cut him to save money or have him take a paycut, but im not the GM.
They're different kinds of players. Bush is more a speed guy; he's probably the fastest guy on the 53 man roster after Shields. He was supposed to be what Shields became but he was pretty awful in man coverage. He looks better in zone coverage which is why his few snaps come in dime.

Hyde is a bit slower (around 4.50 - 4.55), too slow for cover corner particularly without the size to compensate, but he's a much better tackler than Bush, the best in our secondary this past season. He's got good instincts, something you cannot say of Bush. We've said it before and we'll say it again:

1. Nickel corners more closely resemble safeties than cover corners.

2. With Heyward returning, we'll have 2 pretty decent nickle corners with one looking for work.

3. Either of these guys is more talented than anybody in our safety group behind Burnett.

4. Burnett continues to exhibit questionable instincts. When he had less to think about playing with Collins he was a better tackler, and might be better suited to strong safety.

5. People seemed to have chilled on Hyde after Cruz lit him up in the first half. Once again, I wouldn't crap on talent based on one bad half, in this case in a bad match-up. You're not going to find a nickel corner who can run with a guy like Cruz man-to-man all over the field. That's a game plan problem.

There is an obvious conclusion to be drawn here...Hyde would be an upgrade to the safety position at either strong or free.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hyde doesn't play as fast as he measurably runs. I can understand SS, as those looks really are essentially the same. I don't see Hyde doing very well at FS at all, especially considering how terribly he did there at Iowa.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before, there's absolutely no chance Tramon will be back with his current contract ($9.5 million cap hit). But I don't expect TT to cut him, but restructure his contract.

I would love to see TT extend Tramon and spread out that salary. It's a benefit to both sides, we get some cap relief (not needed I know) this year and he gets long term security. I don't think it happens though and I believe he's back at his current number.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could release Franklin if Dujuan Harris comes back strong and someone else beats out Franklin in camp. He had a good game against the Bengels but was a bit of a disappointment otherwise. He's still young but we've cut guys early before.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could release Franklin if Dujuan Harris comes back strong and someone else beats out Franklin in camp. He had a good game against the Bengels but was a bit of a disappointment otherwise. He's still young but we've cut guys early before.

See I think I would argue the opposite here, and say I could see Harris being released based on what they decide to do with Starks and what Franklin shows in camp. Personally, I really like Franklin as a complementary piece to Lacy. That being said I think both are on the team next year and Starks is elsewhere

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See I think I would argue the opposite here, and say I could see Harris being released based on what they decide to do with Starks and what Franklin shows in camp. Personally, I really like Franklin as a complementary piece to Lacy. That being said I think both are on the team next year and Starks is elsewhere

I just think Harris has shown way too much to not give him a shot. I am really exited to see what he can do.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way they cut Harris unless his knee is not good but then probably back to IR. Hopefully he's ready to roll.
Franklin did well in his only meaningful snaps minus the fumble. He needs a solid offseason in the weight room.
He has talent just needs a little more experience with the pro game. Think he can be a very solid player as a
Complementary type back and receiver out of the backfield.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we cut either Harris or Franklin based on what we have seen so far? Are either of their contracts that team unfriendly? I like them both and could see them both succeeding as that change of pace back behind Lacy (assuming Starks is not resigned, which I don't see happening).

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde doesn't play as fast as he measurably runs. I can understand SS, as those looks really are essentially the same. I don't see Hyde doing very well at FS at all, especially considering how terribly he did there at Iowa.
I have heard you say this before and can understand where you are coming from. I am just curious if you agree, based on what we have and what some of the skill set Hyde presents, that moving him to safety makes sense you just don't see it working out or if you are entirely opposed to the idea and think the logic for moving him is dumb.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why should we? despite the fact he's kind of a non-factor capwise he never had a chance to prove himself after the Bengals game. I really like our options on RB and really hope we can keep all four.

TT needs to cut some fat, but it should be the contracts of Williams and Jones instead. ok, Hawks numbers are too high as well especially when we may draft a starting ILB who can play every down.

D

Deleted member 6794

TT needs to cut some fat, but it should be the contracts of Williams and Jones instead. ok, Hawks numbers are too high as well especially when we may draft a starting ILB who can play every down.

It is really amazing that we have nearly $14 million of cap space invested in two positions (ILB and safety) that need major upgrade this offseason.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is really amazing that we have nearly $14 million of cap space invested in two positions (ILB and safety) that need major upgrade this offseason.

Neither guy is a three down ilb either. Hawk was only by default...but if they find a guy who can cover then you will see Hawk off the field on pasing downs much like he was when Bishop was here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts