1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson gets rid of trash in building younger team

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    If it weren't for Brett Favre (36), William Henderson (35) and Rob Davis (37), the Packers' average age would land somewhere between kindergarten and first grade.

lmao

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the article. The main question is if Thompson can turn some of this "trash" into "gold" It's one thing to clean a mess but it's another thing to bring another mess in. I liked this off season overall and I hope next off season is as good and we fill a lot of the remaining needs. Right now I think GB is a 6 win team. 7 is my bias prediction. 8 would be very lucky. I will say after Chicago we'll know what the 06 season is going to be like. I'd like to see GB compete against Chicago. Getting blown out would be a horrible start to this new era in my opinion.

4. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is how I responded to Havel's piece:

Chris, I know you are not the only columnist who uses language loosely, but do you think referring to young men who have worked hard their whole lives pursuing a dream as TRASH is appropriate?

As a former player I want to pipe in and say that any player making it to the final cuts of an NFL team deserves far more respect than to be regarded as garbage.

Folks that speak so loosely about players who are fighting for their playing lives, most often have no idea what it takes to even get close to making it to this elite level. Of the literally hundreds of thousand young men pursuing this dream only 1,696 make the NFL's 32 team 53 man rosters.

Unless you are comfortable producing "trash" as an end product of your work Mr. Havel, you might want to consider using language a tad more respectfully and precisely -- just a suggestion.

To Havel's credit this is his response to this issue.

This is Chris Havel. When I read today's sports section I was upset to see the word "Trash" used in the headline on my column. I didn't write the headline. I didn't use the word "Trash" in the column. Even before I read the reader comments posted beneath my column, I called sports editor Mike Vandermause seeking a retraction. He said he didn't have a problem with the desk editors using the word "Trash" in the headline. He said readers that have a problem with the word "Trash" in this headline should be directed to him. Vandermause's work number is 431-8222 and his email address is

5. Schmitty

Schmitty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good post Bruce. This article just made me mad. He just slapped around my favorite team. And comparing their age to kindergardeners and first graders. What a disgrace. The article is the trash. Take it out. :evil:

6. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good post Bruce.
    I don't mind it when a team goes another direction and gets rid of former players but there is no sense for the media to slam them.
    Overall very few players just go thru the motions and don't really give it their all. Just b/c a player doesn't have what the fans or the media thinks it takes doesn't make them trash.

7. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with you that it's one thing to clean a mess butit's another thing to bring in another mess. My hope is that the players that have been drafted and kept have a high upside and will improve. Collins needs to play like a veteran this year. Woodson and Marquez have to play well. Harriss has to maintain his stature as the best defensive back we have. The linebacker, can be studs but they've got to maintain their assignments. On the other side of the ball, everything starts and ends with that offensive line. If they're talented and grow, we'll be alright by midseason. We just have to hope that what Thompson is bringing in good players and not a different mess.

8. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Chris Havel is TT's publicist. I don't think I've seen him criticize one move that TT has made. Even the hiring of MM (when two days earlier he said TT would be crazy not to hire Jim Bates) was decreed a brilliant move by Mr. Mullet. It's getting a little silly.