Thompson gets rid of trash in building younger team

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Chris Havel

The Green Bay Packers reduced their roster to 51 players Saturday.

Apparently, General Manager Ted Thompson decided there weren't 53 worth keeping, and after training camp and the preseason games, I can't say I disagree.

This is the first time in recent memory, and perhaps the first time since I began covering the team in 1991, that there isn't a single player that deserved a better fate.

That is rare, and somewhat sad, but undeniably true.

Perennial disappointments Najeh Davenport, Rod Gardner and Kenny Peterson were like clutter in the garage. They took up space but served no purpose. They were first-team flotsam, with no 11th-hour stay of execution in sight, and rightfully so.

Davenport and Peterson were injury-prone underachievers, bona fide double threats compared to Gardner, who merely underachieved.

"Najeh, I'm sure he'll be working somewhere before long," Thompson said.

Davenport, 27, played a nightclub owner in Busta Rhymes' 2004 movie "Full Clip," which was released on DVD. He received good reviews, and acting may be in his future, although he certainly was miscast as a leading ball-carrier.

Fourth-round draft pick Cory Rodgers, whose singular talent was fumbling away field position, almost did enough to make fans yearn for Antonio Chatman. Almost. At least second-year linebacker Roy Manning lost out to the better man in Tracy White.

Mike Hawkins, who is as fragile as he is athletic, was cast aside in favor of injured rookie cornerback Will Blackmon. The Packers thought enough of his recovery from a broken bone in his foot, and his potential despite a passing glimpse in the post-draft minicamp, to place him on the active roster.

The Packers kept eight offensive linemen, the only surprise being that they didn't keep seven. Fans better hope Thompson adds an offensive lineman, either via a trade or the waiver wire, and that the lineman is good enough to compete for a starting job.

Thompson kept as many tight ends as wide receivers, a testament to the former unit's depth and the latter unit's lack thereof. Look for him to sign another receiver, or coach Mike McCarthy to make the three-tight end package a staple in his arsenal.

The roster features 11 rookies, plus a dozen first- and second-year players, with a possible eight starters among them. Thompson is orchestrating a full-blown youth movement, or the NFL's answer to embryonic stem cell research.

If it weren't for Brett Favre (36), William Henderson (35) and Rob Davis (37), the Packers' average age would land somewhere between kindergarten and first grade.

Dave Rayner, the kicker, and Jon Ryan, the punter, have virtually no NFL experience. If they aren't precocious, the pressure-packed NFL will eat them alive.

Thompson settled on 10 defensive linemen, which seems like one too many, and I will be surprised if another team doesn't try trading for Cullen Jenkins, Kenderick Allen or Corey Williams.

Meantime, the Packers are green and gold, with a heavy accent on green.

Let the games begin.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If it weren't for Brett Favre (36), William Henderson (35) and Rob Davis (37), the Packers' average age would land somewhere between kindergarten and first grade.

lmao

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the article. The main question is if Thompson can turn some of this "trash" into "gold" It's one thing to clean a mess but it's another thing to bring another mess in. I liked this off season overall and I hope next off season is as good and we fill a lot of the remaining needs. Right now I think GB is a 6 win team. 7 is my bias prediction. 8 would be very lucky. I will say after Chicago we'll know what the 06 season is going to be like. I'd like to see GB compete against Chicago. Getting blown out would be a horrible start to this new era in my opinion.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is how I responded to Havel's piece:

Chris, I know you are not the only columnist who uses language loosely, but do you think referring to young men who have worked hard their whole lives pursuing a dream as TRASH is appropriate?

As a former player I want to pipe in and say that any player making it to the final cuts of an NFL team deserves far more respect than to be regarded as garbage.

Folks that speak so loosely about players who are fighting for their playing lives, most often have no idea what it takes to even get close to making it to this elite level. Of the literally hundreds of thousand young men pursuing this dream only 1,696 make the NFL's 32 team 53 man rosters.

Unless you are comfortable producing "trash" as an end product of your work Mr. Havel, you might want to consider using language a tad more respectfully and precisely -- just a suggestion.

To Havel's credit this is his response to this issue.

This is Chris Havel. When I read today's sports section I was upset to see the word "Trash" used in the headline on my column. I didn't write the headline. I didn't use the word "Trash" in the column. Even before I read the reader comments posted beneath my column, I called sports editor Mike Vandermause seeking a retraction. He said he didn't have a problem with the desk editors using the word "Trash" in the headline. He said readers that have a problem with the word "Trash" in this headline should be directed to him. Vandermause's work number is 431-8222 and his email address is

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Bruce. This article just made me mad. He just slapped around my favorite team. And comparing their age to kindergardeners and first graders. What a disgrace. The article is the trash. Take it out. :evil:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Bruce.
I don't mind it when a team goes another direction and gets rid of former players but there is no sense for the media to slam them.
Overall very few players just go thru the motions and don't really give it their all. Just b/c a player doesn't have what the fans or the media thinks it takes doesn't make them trash.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I agree with the article. The main question is if Thompson can turn some of this "trash" into "gold" It's one thing to clean a mess but it's another thing to bring another mess in. I liked this off season overall and I hope next off season is as good and we fill a lot of the remaining needs. Right now I think GB is a 6 win team. 7 is my bias prediction. 8 would be very lucky. I will say after Chicago we'll know what the 06 season is going to be like. I'd like to see GB compete against Chicago. Getting blown out would be a horrible start to this new era in my opinion.

I agree with you that it's one thing to clean a mess butit's another thing to bring in another mess. My hope is that the players that have been drafted and kept have a high upside and will improve. Collins needs to play like a veteran this year. Woodson and Marquez have to play well. Harriss has to maintain his stature as the best defensive back we have. The linebacker, can be studs but they've got to maintain their assignments. On the other side of the ball, everything starts and ends with that offensive line. If they're talented and grow, we'll be alright by midseason. We just have to hope that what Thompson is bringing in good players and not a different mess.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chris Havel is TT's publicist. I don't think I've seen him criticize one move that TT has made. Even the hiring of MM (when two days earlier he said TT would be crazy not to hire Jim Bates) was decreed a brilliant move by Mr. Mullet. It's getting a little silly.

Latest posts